View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

How good of a magician was Houdini?
lame 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
poor 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
okay 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
good 78%  78%  [ 32 ]
Total votes : 41
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:15 pm 
Emperor Penguin

No, many of the things Houdini did were not original. He did perform his illusions in original ways, like most magicians do, but a lot of the stuff he did, was already done.

When it came to his escapes, some were original. Many of them were being performed by others too. He did create new methods though.

So there was stuff of his that was original, other stuff wasn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:20 pm 
born to perform.

I wanted to ask a question did you mean how good of a magician was he or how goo dof a perfromer. Cause it is said that houdini was not to good as a magicain but he is a great escapologist. There is a difference. Pick up Hiding the elephant. Great book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:22 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
Another great Houdini book is the latest one out called The Secret Life of Houdini: The Making of America's First Superhero by Bill Kalush. I'm about a third of the way through it and I highly reccomend it! It compiles some previously unpublished material from over one million pages of research, and presents a very compelling case that Houdini was, in addition to being the greatest escape artist and showman of modern times, also a spy for the American and British secret services. It is available at Barnes & Noble, and also through www.conjuringarts.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:13 pm 
born to perform.

" Don't insult me and call me a magician. I'm an escape artist."
-Harry Houdini

I agree with what fallingblood had to say. When he wasn't performing, he spent most of his time trying to eliminate competition by exposing other escape artists and magicians. That's not at all a good attitude. But his performances, along with Robert-Houdin's (Houdini's inspiration) before him, revolutionized magic and brought it above circus side shows and dime museums. So in that sense, he is a great performer.

By the way, did you know that it is believed that the two most commonly known names in the whole world are Harry Houdini and Jesus Christ? Kinda cool. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:16 pm 
born to perform.

Actually i meant to say the three most widley known names are believed to be Houdini, Jesus Christ, and Sherlock Holmes. Strangley, the edit button for my above post dissapeared :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:09 pm 
born to perform.

As far as traditional magic goes, Houdini was no Blackstone, and certainly no Malini. At the same time, his full-evening show must have been entertaining, as some reviewers thought it was better than Thurston's Show of 1001 Wonders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:24 am 
Penguin

woow!
http://www.alisa-videos.info/free/video ... ile=183253

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:57 am 
born to perform.

pickacard77 wrote:
DavidTheCryptic wrote:
pickacard77 wrote:
Was Houdini entirely oringinal?

in what sense?

In his tricks an illusions(if any).

He invented "Metamorphosis". And he was the first magician to perform a straight jacket escape. I believe he also invented the Water Tourture Cell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:39 pm 
Emperor Penguin

dbaker_creator wrote:
pickacard77 wrote:
DavidTheCryptic wrote:
pickacard77 wrote:
Was Houdini entirely oringinal?

in what sense?

In his tricks an illusions(if any).

He invented "Metamorphosis". And he was the first magician to perform a straight jacket escape. I believe he also invented the Water Tourture Cell.

I know, I just like people to back up their statments. 8)

He was the first to perform the strait jactet, but his 'brother' was the first to perform in front of public, not behind a curtain.
He did create both metamorphosis and WTC. He even sued a rival performer who tried to perform his WTC. He won the suit, and no one could perform the WTC as long as he was alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:59 pm 
born to perform.

He originated a number of other escape routines (like the publicity jailbreak, the Milk Can, etc.)

Houdini originated the Metamorphosis ROUTINE (presentation of the double exchange), but the box itself was originally designed, I believe, by Maskelyne.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:05 pm 
born to perform.

One escape Houdini concocted but never performed was the "Spanish Maiden," an escape from an Iron Maiden where the internal spikes were just long enough to press against the performer's body, making it virtually impossible to move without 'perforating' himself.

The Amazing Randi performed such an escape in the 1950s, and I built and performed my own version of it in the late 1970s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:11 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
He originated a number of other escape routines (like the publicity jailbreak, the Milk Can, etc.)

Houdini originated the Metamorphosis ROUTINE (presentation of the double exchange), but the box itself was originally designed, I believe, by Maskelyne.

Yep it was origianlly created by John Nevil Maskelyne.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:47 pm 
Penguin

DavidTheCryptic wrote:
pickacard77 wrote:
Mine is the chinese torture box or whatever.

you dont even know the name :?
how about the:

Water Torture Cell.

his was actually different than what it is today.

I prefer upside down escape, what houdini called it in his personal journal.

my favorite is milk jug. I dunno it just seems sheer skill, although it's not XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:53 pm 
Emperor Penguin

His posters for the WTC, didnt call it that... His upside down escape would have been his Strait-jacket escapes that were performed upside down.

A the 'milk jug'? A jug is different than a can. He escaped from a Can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:19 pm 
Penguin

If you have noticed we all are talking about houdini's escapes rather than his magic...Thats because houdini was an escape artist rather than a magician. If we look back on his time we will see that Howard Thurston's magic acts over came houdini's by miles. When houdini preformed his famous disapearing elephant trick in NYC he bearly got the crowds attention. However houdini was probably the best escape artist born.
Also this explains how the most popular "Magician" of all time did not make it into the Dynasty of Master Magicians.
This is only my opinion and i dont want to offend anyone. But thats what i think of houdini

THx