View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hecklers in Middle School(Gr. 6-8 Where I live)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:42 pm 
born to perform.

I'm in grade eight now and I started magic at the beginning of April, 2006. Most people in my school and most of my friends still don't know I'm into magic. I really want to perform at school and I work really hard at practicing my magic. Don't ask what tricks I know cause that's not my point. My question is what do I do if I mess up a trick? What do I do when people ask for me to do a trick again but with people who havn't seen the effect done yet? What do I do if somebody screws me up and the whole effect is revealed? Thanks to all who helps and good luck to all other magicians!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:56 pm 
Penguin

Hope they forget do a trick that is twice as good that makes them forget and get you a rep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:27 pm 
Penguin

that happened to me....

all you can really do is buy some really good effects like saw(thats good for school...people get grossed out)and practise until your fingers bleed...

or in the case of saw until your neck bleeds,blow and artery,go to the hospital and die!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:50 pm 
born to perform.

practice, practice, practice. that and also u have to learn to pick the right audience. when i did magic at my middle school i could tell which kids would heckle with me and what not, and tried to avoid them the best i could. also try to not get into the habit of doing a trick to school right after you learn it because chances are u'll mess up :?

-nubs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:15 am 
born to perform.

If it all goes clearly wrong... Smile. "Sorry guys, looks like that one needs some work. Thanks anyway."

If they ask to see it again, there are lots of answers here, but be firm. It's a rule. If they say "but x (who has just arrived) hasn't seen it yet!" Turn to x, smile, and say you'll show it to him some other time.

School crowds can be tough, but if you are just starting out and they realise it, you should be able to get them to be a bit supportive. There are advantages to performing to friends you see a lot, they will be able to give you feedback comparing your performances, which styles and effects they most enjoyed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:43 am 
born to perform.

nubswitstubs23 wrote:
practice, practice, practice. that and also u have to learn to pick the right audience. when I did magic at my middle school I could tell which kids would heckle with me and what not, and tried to avoid them the best I could. also try to not get into the habit of doing a trick to school right after you learn it because chances are u'll mess up :?

-nubs
Yeah I try not to perform a new trick unless It's my family untill I have mastered it and have mastered it and done it almost to absolutely perfect for an entire week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:15 pm 
Penguin

Try doing your magic tricks on a friend you trust alot.Friends are the ultimate best people to practice with.

I do it to my friends and they love haveing tricks done on them

I love to help.But if my help doesn't work please don't get mad at me. I'm pretty new to magic.I haven't even been doing magic for a year,only a couple of months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:41 pm 
Penguin

ya i perform in highschool and im known as the ONE EYED WONDER lol ya... but anyway if you mess up a trick dont fret cause if you practice a lot and have many more tricks perform those. umm everything has pretty much been coverd by other posts... oh ya lemme tell one thing that makes me feel reeeeeeaaaaaaaly good and makes my day a lot better is when i do a trick and the kid/kids are like going crazy caue of how cool it is.

:arrow: ZaCk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:38 pm 
Penguin

find effects that arent easy to catch. Performing in school is really risky, althought i don't discourage it because some people dont have anywhere else to perform, and school gives us the exprience we all need as magicians. I've been caught a lot in school. Keep a list of mistakes you make, then practice those in front a mirror. The next day, come with your best effect (if it can be performed in school) and blow their minds. School is probably the best way to get a reputation, both as a good or bad magician. It's up to you to choose. Good luck man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:10 pm 
born to perform.

As others have said I also believe that you should not perform an effect until you have it down pat and then some. But, to answer your question about what to do if in the unlikely event after practicing for many days that you do mess up, its always handy to keep an invisible deck on you to use as an out or as a mentalist effect.

Best of luck

-Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:46 pm 
Penguin

Hey Man,
school's a tough crowd...the best advice that i have is make sure you've done the trick a lot before you preform because it can be embaressing if u screw up.....like they always say! "PRACTICE, PRACTICE and PRACTICE SOME MORE! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:30 pm 
Penguin

Get an invisible deck. If you mess up a card trick you can save yourself and it looks like you're a miracle wonder. I am not too good with it, but if you think you can master the invisible deck, I highly reccommend it.

I like to have a foolproof plan for every trick in case I mess it up. During the practice of a trick, I will mess up a few times to see what I can do to correct the problem without the spectator seeing, or see if I can work it into the trick.

Probably the best thing to do is to not mess up, but we all make mistakes, just casually laugh it off, like say "So I messed one trick up, so 'effing what" and most people will just laugh and go along with it. I like to really make the "effing" word stand out, instead of an actual cuss word, it makes it sound more comical. If you actually cuss it makes it sound like you're mad and they get kind of nervous on what to do.

About the best I can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:05 pm 
Penguin

1. always be aware of your angles

2. you dont have to do a trick whenever someones in the mood to see one perform a trick when you have the mood to.

3."practise makes permanent not perfect" practise will give you a lot of confidence and will improve the chances that no secrets will be revealed.

4. have fun. if you have fun or make a joke people will enjoy your magic and stop trying to catch you.

5. dont be intimidated by your audience. (unless they threaten to stab you)...

i practise every new trick i learn in school but never before i perfect it.. it is a great place to practise in my opinion. quite fast you will get known as a magician

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:19 pm 
Penguin

Everyone in your age group already knows everything so just keep practicing until they're all dumbed down by life or college.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:08 am 
born to perform.

Hot_2_Trot wrote:
Everyone in your age group already knows everything so just keep practicing until they're all dumbed down by life or college.

Great response. :)