View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mall Walkaround Rules?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:31 pm 
Penguin

I'm really considering working a few days a week at a local huge mall...I don't know how to go about getting permission or if I'm even allowed. I know I would be performing completely for tips and that's no problem at all I just want experiance and could care less about the money...I believe I have enough structured routines to put together a decent show and I would like to learn some on the spot happenings such as when things go wrong. This is pretty much for experiance and the money would be bonus. I've asked a few stores in the mall if they know who to contact to get a business going but didn't elaborate on what I wanted to do and they all said that I would have to talk to there owner who rarelyy comes around. I figure Paddy or some other experianced magician in this or table hopping would help me find who I should call and whether or not a mall would be a good place to start. I seen a magician in this mall once but he was doing a sort of kids party at the food court. Just wondering what restrictions, payment options if any, or contact advice would help me to start working. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:40 am 
born to perform.

You need to contact the owner of the mall, the mall's entertainment coordinator, or the public relations supervisor. . . If you want everything to be legal.

Otherwise, just go and get started. Don't bring a set-up table or anything (the mall cops won't tolerate it).

Just a note, big malls tend to be more stringent when enforcing their rules. If you want to make any money, you'll need the mall's coroperation, which you are unlikely to get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:20 pm 
Penguin

As stated before a little bit of money would be nice but would be more or likely just a bonus...I'm looking for some valuable experiance, I'm having trouble deciding exactly how many tricks I should fit in my repitoire...I know pocket managment so I will have to take that in consideration, Some of the definites would be TT's, D'lite's, Marked deck of cards for regular and mentalism effects, Likely only one or two really gimmicked effects becuase it would take up alot of space, I was thinking In a flash and maybe autobend silverware but I'm not sure yet....And of course Electric touch if I ever get it anytime soon....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:33 pm 
born to perform.

If you're asking for tricks:
Mentalism and psychokinetics are good for the crowds that you'll typically find in malls (teenagers - 30 typically enjoy these effets most). Card effects are good for them as well. I would suggest taking a few regular decks, so curious people can (100%) examine the cards, eliminating exposure possibilities. I would also recommend using a ______ through ______ effect ('something' through 'something'). Mall magic really requires you to do the effects people know about, so you might want a levitation in there. You will also want to include some effects suitable for children (magic coloring book, vanishing silk, hippity hop rabbits, ect.)

Note: If you don't contact someone from the mall, you'll risk being kicked out (tips or not).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:19 pm 
Penguin

I second what dbaker_creator said. If you ask and they say yes, you will be able to do it for a while. If you do it without permission, and they kick you out once, they will kick you out again, and if you ask permission, my guess is no.
So, ask first, and they probably will say yes, because if someone was doing magic in my local mall, i would go to watch some of his tricks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:33 pm 
Penguin

Yes I understand and thanks for the advice on tricks, I would definately be bringing the b2 bomber and hopefully an animated cigarette routine would bring in a crowd of sorts...I'm not much for levvitations however so I would probably skip that, ever since the masked magician everyone says they know levitations are all angles......Too bad I couldn't afford F.L.Y

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:05 pm 
born to perform.

Actually, there are several levitations that are very convincing. You don't even need to do a self levitation. Something like the Vernet Levitator works great with proper presentation.

Just a note: Most likely, the mall will either say, "We don't care" or "No". Larger malls will say no. Smaller malls will say that they don't care (Yes's are few and far between). The real problem is with the security guards. If the mall says "we don't care" and the security guards say "no" ; then you're gone (that's why you don't want to bring a big table or set-up).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:00 am 
born to perform.

A couple of years ago i did the sam ething to get preforming expirence and confidence. I suggest preforming lots of impromptu stuff or seemingly impromptu stuff(i.e. b-2 bomboer a.k.a. pen thru dollar). I would bring two decks of card one and old deck you can rip card or burn card or what ever an dth eoth erfor tricks you don't need to ruin card sin anyway. Some of yo umay not care but i usualy don't one to rip up my brand new deck of bikes. I would also brin ga few coins. A sharpie. Any mentalism usually plays well. And if you do any ring one string effects definetly being som estring but i wouldnt suggest approachin ghtem wiht this effect. Excuse me madam can i borrow your ring. YO uwill almost for sur ebe kicked out becuase she might think you were goign to still it. Anyways I would suggest anyhting that packs small and plays big. (i.e. mentalism, cards, coins, most impromptu things). To answer your question about who to ask is th eowner or the entertainment advisor. I personally didn't ask an di hav eenver been kicked out. If i security card should approach you try showing him some magic. lol. One tim eone of them approached me and all they said was we saw you doing magic over there I wondering if you can show us a few tricks. And if i security guard should approach you and tell you that what you ar edoing(magic) is not allowed. Say sorry and walk away. Come back in a da or two. I have neve rhad this problem though and i am sur eyou won't.

Theres som eadvice.

Good luck.

Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:52 am 
Penguin

Sean,

Hmmmmm....I guess you don't have/use Spell-checker :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:26 pm 
born to perform.

lol Yeah I don't think he used a spell check either...

I would wait like at least a week though if security tells you not to do magic. But I think if the security comes over to you, try to show them some magic before they can say anything, that way maybe you can befriend them before they decide to make you stop. If they like you, and with magic you should be able to get them to like you, they will probably let you stay. I know the security at a shopping plaza that I know of lets magicians do street magic there because a few of the security guards are friends with some of the magicians around there, so since they like them they let them do some magic around there. I think you could apply the same thing at a mall probably, but I have never tried doing magic in a mall before. It never seemed like my thing really to be performing in a mall.