View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: need help for the school talent show
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:23 pm 
Penguin

ok talent show is coming up and i need to get my routine together i can make the patter i dont know what to do for the audition
for the main show if i make it i will use
appearing cane
d lites
invisible deck (once i geta big deck of cards and make the gimmick)
and maybe the spirit rope tie from "Seance" but just do it as an escape not a spirit trick
for the audition i plan on using
linking rings
TT silk vanish routine or sponge balls
and maybe a handcuff escape
and maybe throw in appearing flower

any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:02 pm 
Penguin

dsingle i am no pro in stage magic so i will not comment in that but if u want to make it in the finals u should really practise ur a$$ off ive seen ur videos and most of ur tricks look like you didnt practice enough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:50 pm 

You will need more then this.

Bigger effects, things that a) involve the audience, or things that people can see further away, not like a thumbtip vanish. Also, what do you have for music? Lighting? Microphone? Do you know where you will stand? what you will say in between acts? Do you know what you will say for each effect? Do you know how you will transition them? Or transition them to music?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:29 am 
born to perform.

Jak wrote:

Bigger effects, things that a) involve the audience, or things that people can see further away, not like a thumbtip vanish. Also, what do you have for music? Lighting? Microphone? Do you know where you will stand? what you will say in between acts? Do you know what you will say for each effect? Do you know how you will transition them? Or transition them to music?

jak its a school talent show not a las vegas performance

Last edited by cgregory23 on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:21 am 
born to perform.

Don't do the escapes and switch the linking rings to the actuall show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:26 am 
Penguin

cgregory23 wrote:
Jak wrote:

jeese its a school talent show not a las vegas performance
Knowing your patter and how to make the transition between the effects is nevertheless good advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:07 pm 
Penguin

i plan on doing the mentalism routine from banacheks book prethoughts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:38 pm 
born to perform.

You have such an array of effects that you need to pick a theme, then pick a routine to go with that theme, then let us comment on it. It's not very pleasing to see a list of different tricks and then be asked "What should I do?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:22 am 

cgregory23 wrote:
Jak wrote:

jeese its a school talent show not a las vegas performance

But it is a performance. Did You hear me mention Advertiseing, Or Show Girls, Or Assistants, Seating and admission? No. Far from a Las vegas Performance, But, from the post you just wrote there, maybe you should as well think about putting more thought and preparation into a show.

Patter, Where you are going to stand/walk, how you will be projected and the order in which you will perform your effects is important no matter what kind of show your doing. Thats what sepperates us.

Think next time before you respond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:47 pm 
Penguin

any performance should include what jak has said, your audiance will get bored if theres no lighting or music, even if the tricks are great, you want to be as professional as you can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:18 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I have a problem with the effects that you are thinking about doing. You're jumping all over the place. First you have some stage stuff, then close-up stuff, escapes, and mentalism. I really don't see how it's going to work. You're jumping all over the place, and it doesn't seem like you really know what you're going to do. You can't just expect to through different effects together, and have a show from that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:45 pm 
Penguin

ok, you have some good tricks, but you need to theme like some others said, you need a good flow and some decent music (nothin with lyrics!!!). ive seen many shows, and many magic talent shows and what all of them lacked is a good, flowing, fluent routine. All of them lacked decent patter and none of them had really practiced doin the tricks all in one go. Personally i would do the linking rings routine as your closer, scrap the invisible deck, use a decent rope routine (tabarys is excellent and fibre optics by richard sanders is also good). I would reccomend maybe the handcuff escape depending on the audience siaze and definitely use your appearing cane as your opener! forget the TT vanish unlees you have a big silk that fits into your TT. AND FINALLY, it may not be the best of ideas, but audiences react really well to fire magic (but watch it and always tell your teachers that you will be using fire!!!)
PEACE OUT and good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:33 pm 
Penguin

i performed the pre-toughts show but instead of the chairs and the alphabet letter guess i used pk touches everyone was amazed im getting a video of the act ill try to rip it and post it on youtube

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:15 am 
Penguin

linking rings are tight, just give them the right ones

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:10 am 
Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
I have a problem with the effects that you are thinking about doing. You're jumping all over the place. First you have some stage stuff, then close-up stuff, escapes, and mentalism. I really don't see how it's going to work. You're jumping all over the place, and it doesn't seem like you really know what you're going to do. You can't just expect to through different effects together, and have a show from that.

actualy i saw a great tage perfromance where randomly in the middle of the act he did a straight jacket escape, then a mentalism effect. but it was great and everyone loved it.