View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Penguin Magic 2.0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:30 am 
Penguin

Hi,

Maxwell Murphy wrote:
Monday, December 04, 2006

Update - Penguin Makes Change in Warehousing Strategy

In preparation for the launch of the new Penguin Magic 2.0 (which will go into beta in the next few days)
we have strategically chosen to exit our physical operations in the UK.

In working with our shipping partners we have found ways to offer dramatically improved service
and in-stock status by shipping goods directly from the U.S. to our international customers.

All of this will be announced in conjuction with the launch of our new site. In the meantime, we very much appreciate your loyalty and support.
We are committed to serving you, our UK and European customers,
and we have made this strategic decision because it will allow us to provide you with a better level of service at a better price.

Since we opened our UK distribution center just over two years ago,
many of our UK and European customers have told us that they prefer to order from Penguin USA
because they pay lower taxes get the goods in almost the same amount of time.

The current Penguin site offers approximately 1000 products.
Penguin 2.0 will offer over 6,000 products (and a bunch of other cool features that have been requested by our users).

Thanks very much for choosing Penguin.
We're extremely excited about the road ahead! Please visit Penguin USA for all the hot new stuff (including this year's HUGE holiday bonus).

So here's the original site:
Update - Penguin Magic Change in Warehousing Strategy

Most likely, many of you know this already.
I just read this one day ago.
Now i'm wondering whether someone has more information?

Because for me -as European- that sounds promisingly:

In working with our shipping partners we have found ways to offer dramatically improved service
and in-stock status by shipping goods directly from the U.S. to our international customers.

All of this will be announced in conjuction with the launch of our new site. In the meantime, we very much appreciate your loyalty and support.
We are committed to serving you, our UK and European customers,
and we have made this strategic decision because it will allow us to provide you with a better level of service at a better price.

I'm very interested in this!
When will be the release date?
I can't wait any longer for it and for further information! :)

Greetz Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:37 am 
born to perform.

Like with a number of cases, Penguin is somewhat famous for announcing things that are going to take place "in a few days or weeks" and leaving them for a couple of months. Notice the article was posted a month ago. All I've seen change about the site is the NEW search. I don't think that quite counts as 2.0.

"It'll happen when it happens" is probably the most reliable reponse you'll get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:50 am 
Penguin

Hi,

Lawboy wrote:
Like with a number of cases, Penguin is somewhat famous for announcing things that are going to take place "in a few days or weeks" and leaving them for a couple of months.
That's why I'm asking for more information! :wink:

Lawboy wrote:
All I've seen change about the site is the NEW search. I don't think that quite counts as 2.0.
I think so, too. A new search and Penguin Magic UK has closed down. If that was all that would be ridiculous.

"It'll happen when it happens" is probably the most reliable reponse you'll get.
Hopfully not... :?

Greetz Marc

Post subject: Re: Penguin Magic 2.0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:09 am 
Penguin

Quote:
many of our UK and European customers have told us that they prefer to order from Penguin USA

What?!! Gimme a break please... my pre-xmas order took 4 weeks to arrive (ok, so xmas, so 2 weeks normally? i think 1 week is long enough to wait) and when it did arrive, was quickly snapped up by customs. Was a further week or so before my pregnant g/fr had time to treck accross berlin one morning (or I would have had to take the morning off work), to answer some irritating questions before being allowed to take it away - and despite penguin's cooperation, they were quite clearly not convinced that 4 packs of cards and a set of 7 dvds had a value of only $2 and purely for educational purposes.

A lucky escape this time but I've been stung by customs before after purchasing from USA and it's not funny. What seemed like a bargain ends up way more expensive than had it been bought back home.

The USA is the last place on earth I want to place my orders!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:20 am 
Penguin

Phatfunky wrote:
Quote:

What?!! Gimme a break please... my pre-xmas order took 4 weeks to arrive (ok, so xmas, so 2 weeks normally? I think 1 week is long enough to wait) and when it did arrive, was quickly snapped up by customs. Was a further week or so before my pregnant g/fr had time to treck accross berlin one morning (or I would have had to take the morning off work), to answer some irritating questions before being allowed to take it away - and despite penguin's cooperation, they were quite clearly not convinced that 4 packs of cards and a set of 7 dvds had a value of only $2 and purely for educational purposes.

A lucky escape this time but I've been stung by customs before after purchasing from USA and it's not funny. What seemed like a bargain ends up way more expensive than had it been bought back home.

HAHAHAHAHA I LOVE YOU DUDE
US(A) sucks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:21 am 
Penguin

Phatfunky wrote:
Quote:

What?!! Gimme a break please... my pre-xmas order took 4 weeks to arrive (ok, so xmas, so 2 weeks normally? I think 1 week is long enough to wait) and when it did arrive, was quickly snapped up by customs. Was a further week or so before my pregnant g/fr had time to treck accross berlin one morning (or I would have had to take the morning off work), to answer some irritating questions before being allowed to take it away - and despite penguin's cooperation, they were quite clearly not convinced that 4 packs of cards and a set of 7 dvds had a value of only $2 and purely for educational purposes.

HAHAHAHAHA I LOVE YOU DUDE
US penguinmagic.com sucks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:41 am 
born to perform.

How many times do I have to point this out to people!? Penguin doesn't suck – it's the fact that the US is geographically located far from Europe and the European Customs and Import that suck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:48 am 
Penguin

then again, you can usually avoid taxes by shipping these items as gifts... like on ebay, ain't that right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:29 pm 
Penguin

Lawboy wrote:
How many times do I have to point this out to people!? Penguin doesn't suck – it's the fact that the US is geographically located far from Europe and the European Customs and Import that suck.

That's true, have only ordered a couple of times but am basically quite happy... but that's just what's so frustrating for me - I want them in Europe, where I live!

Yeah, you can get around the customs and fair play to Penguin, they sent the stuff labeled as "Educational material - value $3", but I suspect Customs know exactly what's going on, there's just nothing they can do. But that's all a bit dodgy for my liking, quite aside from the fact of having to treck across town to collect it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:59 pm 
Penguin

Lawboy wrote:

this might be so but can i point out that... the USA sucks cuz of its rubbish £6 shippin rates and Peng.Magic sucks to an extent cuz of the fact that it' european distribution centre has shut down!!! personally i can order the same stuff from other sites at a higher price but get it for less in the end because Peng.Magics shippin rates are stupid and should be free!!!(and thats one of the few reasons i actually shopped at peng.magic!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:02 pm 
Emperor Penguin

wozza wrote:
Lawboy wrote:

this might be so but can i point out that... the USA sucks cuz of its rubbish £6 shippin rates and Peng.Magic sucks to an extent cuz of the fact that it' european distribution centre has shut down!!! personally i can order the same stuff from other sites at a higher price but get it for less in the end because Peng.Magics shippin rates are stupid and should be free!!!(and thats one of the few reasons i actually shopped at peng.magic!!!
Why should they have to pay for your shipping? They are a business. Their goal is to make money. They aren't making much money if they spend it all on your shipping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:00 pm 
Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
wozza wrote:
Lawboy wrote:

Why should they have to pay for your shipping? They are a business. Their goal is to make money. They aren't making much money if they spend it all on your shipping.

as stupid as this may sound i would say that from the amount of customers penguinmagic has peng.magic tends to make a small fortune and even smaller companies make enough money to do free deliveries worldwide or even a reduced delivery to keep people buying from all over

p.s. this is a positive negative thing - on the shipping rates page it says international sipping takes from 1-3 weeks which put me off ordering at first but i soon realised that everything comes within 3-5 days for me (uk) so please peng.magic try and update this page, it will make alot of people feel better about their orders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:26 am 
born to perform.

wozza wrote:
Lawboy wrote:

Would you keep an unprofitable warehouse open so you can make a few 13 year old kids happy, because i wouldnt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:52 pm 
Penguin

Guys, just buy from a UK based shop. There are quite a few good shops in the UK like MagicBox and Magic Shop.co.uk. That way you get good prices on P&P and NO import tax. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:08 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
benlewis2004 wrote:
Would you keep an unprofitable warehouse open so you can make a few 13 year old kids happy, because i wouldnt.

If they would have ever stocked up the warehouse, they would have had orders.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next