View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:57 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 3193
Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
AAWWFF wrote:
paddy wrote:
AAWWFF wrote:
Quote:
I see the problem. I think there is a solution. Many proffessions have licenses. Why not Proffessional Magicians. There should be a license that would ensure a magician or entertainer has the proper skill and experience in safety and proffessionalism to perform in an establishment that serves the public. What do you think?


The do not require singers, or musicians or comedians or any entertainer to be licensed. You can tell from all the bad ones out there trying to work. It is the same for us, the pros have to fight the amateurs.


Well the only way musicians and comedians fight amateurs is by being better than then them. In the case you are describing, Restaurant magicians cannot be compared to Musicians and Comedians because you are saying that the amateurs are actually ruining it for all Magicians. When did you hear of a Restaurant deciding not to hire anymore singers because they had a horribly unproffessional singer perform.

If magicians are loosing credibility as you say then maybe Regularly performing magicians should have some sort of certification by one of the existing magical societies. I'm not talking about testing magical or performing skills, I'm talking about proffessionalism and safety certification. Including background checks because many magicians might be in constant contact with children. This kind of certification will weed out those who are not committed and will also put Restaurant owners minds at peace.


That's a good point. We should require people to register as a magican and be officially licensed before being allowed to show any effects. Kind of like the Teamsters Union. We could then muscle in on other forms of entertainment, starting with mimes and jugglers. Mimes because no one will here them scream when we beat them, jugglers because they have colorful balls.

One point against certification that I can foresee is that it won't work because it's a stupid idea.

Another point is that magicians ARE losing credibility because there are too many punks with a Raven who think that they are now ready to wow the world. This doesn't happen with singers (too often) or with musicians (too often). The people in these forms of entertainment put in many hours of practice and (generally) aren't trying to make a quick buck. Plus, there are many examples of restaurants discontinuing their offers of live entertainment becuase the quality was too poor. These restaurants have now been cut off as a source of income for other qualified entertainers.


However, I would be willing to work as an 'enforce' should the magic mafia ever get organized.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:41 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 3193
Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
what happened to our magician mafia idea?

aren't you tough guys interested anymore?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:49 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 233
i have a question. how do you get started in resturant magic? do you just call the resturant and ask if there interested in a table magician. are resturants requesting them in the paper? how do i get a job as a resturant magician?[This thread is for general restaurant help after you have the job. You started a topic on getting a job two months ago so there's no sense in pulling this one off topic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:21 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 20
I'm 14 and I've been doing magic since I was REALLY little. I was just wondering if I'm old enough to get a gig at a resturaunt, and if I am, how do I get it. [This thread is for general restaurant help after you have the job. This topic is already being discussed here


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:15 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 20
how about a vanishing shot glass(full of liquid) trick. it definitely makes people want to buy a shot just so you can make it vanish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:38 am 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 10 Dec 2005
Posts: 1394
Location: Newmarket, ON, Canada
That has nothing to do with this topic. If you have a serious question about Restaurant Magic, make a new topic and ask it.
I'd be careful if I were you, you are getting off on the wrong foot here at Penguin, and if you keep doing what you are doing, the people who regularly tear apart people like that will be replying to you soon. Just be careful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:53 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Posts: 1616
Location: California
How do you get tipped?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:43 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 40
Location: Lake Geneva, Switzerland
The best way to get tipped is by using their money in the routine. If you've performed a great effect with their dollar, chances are they will let you keep it. So you may as well borrow a 20 ;)

Actually, the best way is to come right out and ask for the tip. There are plenty of subtle, funny ways to go about it.

"I'm not a duck, but I can always use a bill."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:08 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 03 Aug 2007
Posts: 2
if you are asking for a job what do u say and to who and how much is the right amount that u should get paid and what is the right age to do this (first timer)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:41 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
flyintomato22 wrote:
if you are asking for a job what do u say

"Hello, My name is...

Quote:
and to who

The person responsible for hiring

Quote:
and how much is the right amount that u should get paid

Depends on location, experience, and age

Quote:
and what is the right age to do this (first timer)

If you have to ask that, you are too young

In fact by asking all these question you are showing that you are too young, too inexperienced, and a beginner in magic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: getting a gig
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:04 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Posts: 4
i really need help with getting a good gig at a skating rink, resturant or birthday party. How should i approach the manager? what should i do?
[This thread is for general restaurant help after you have the job. Try this thread ]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: getting a gig
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:14 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
super_shade8 wrote:
i really need help with getting a good gig at a skating rink, resturant or birthday party. How should i approach the manager? what should i do?
[This thread is for general restaurant help after you have the job. Try this thread ]


I'll throw a couple of things out here. There is no way anyone can help you with the information that you gave. Which is no information at all.

To start off with, I have no idea of what in the world "resturant" is However, "Restaurant and b"day parties are two completely different venues and have no relation to each other. Now for your homework. Get the answer to these questions then ask again with all the information.
1. What is YOUR definition of a "good gig?"
2. What kind of magic do you perform?
2A How long a show can you put on?
3. How experienced are you? And the related question, how old are you?
4. If I gave you a deck of cards how long could you keep performing without repeating an effect. The same question for an egg bag?

Answer these and we can attempt to answer yours


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: getting a gig
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:50 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Posts: 7922
Location: Parkville, MO
paddy wrote:
4. If I gave you a deck of cards how long could you keep performing without repeating an effect. The same question for an egg bag?


Not to stir up an argument with you or anything, because that's something I wouldn't want to do, but I don't think this is a legitimate question, and doesn't pertain to the amount of skill the said person has. It relates back to my opinion on the quote:

"Take away a magician's cards and you will see how good he actually is."

My question is, "What the edited does this have to do with a magician's skill?" There are many magicians out there that stick to coins, or stage illusions, and couldn't hold an audience for 5 minutes with just a deck of cards. But give 'em their stage illusions or their coins, and they'll be just as good as any other magician. And the egg bag thing... I don't know how an egg-bag works, I've never even seen one in person. Just because I couldn't perform at all with it, doesn't mean I'm a bad magician.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:44 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
Adjones, the comment re: cards is very serious. A magician who performs at the Magic Castle once told me "any magician should be able to perform at least a one hour show with nothing but a deck of cards."

As to the egg bag comment, I really thought that the egg bag routine was very basic magic. I was taught it in my first month of studying magic. Also Gazzo teaches it in all his masterclasses. The only thing you can do with it is to vanish an egg or make one appear. I learned from Dan Tong how to make an egg vanish and reappear three times in one routine and make each one different. GREAT routine and takes up a good 5 to 10 minutes depending on the venue.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:37 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 05 Nov 2005
Posts: 410
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I have to agree with adjones here. You don’t need to know 100 tricks. All you need to know is 10 and perform them flawlessly.
For instance I only perform three card effects regularly, but they have been performed hundreds if not thousands of times and get a huge reaction.
Its not about the amount of effects but the performance of them.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.