View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:41 am 
Penguin

pmo98 wrote:
trooper_trent wrote:
I don't use an ITR, Instead I use loops. It eliminates a lot of the risk. I don't levitate as much as I do move things, but when they go to grab it, there's nothing there but what I was moving. In fact, I encourage people to grab it. It makes it more real.

whats a loop ?
as for ITR's I like them except for there cost but this loop thingy souds good...

Loops are also known as "Invisible Elastic Loops" or "The Million Dollar Knot" (penguin only TMDK). Million Dollar Knot teaches you how to make your own from a spool they send you.

I don't like them because they are practically useless, very difficult to work with, and very easy to break.

They can move plastic forks and things like that, but how often do restaurants have plastic forks? How often will you see a plastic fork outside of a picnic (outdoors, direct light, no good)?

I love using ITR's though. I suggest the Thread Genii (Penguin calls it the Penguin Pro Thread Reel, but it is made by a third party). It's gotten some bad reviews, but it's the best one I've worked with. When the thread eventually snaps, it's alot easier to fix. Also the bulldog clip makes it very easy to position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:02 pm 
Penguin

What I hate about ITRs is that it is much thicker than traditional IT, it can and will be seen. I dont understand it. I have bought two in the last year that were horrible.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:24 pm 
Penguin

rjsnyder114 wrote:
What I hate about ITRs is that it is much thicker than traditional IT, it can and will be seen. I dont understand it. I have bought two in the last year that were horrible.

Joe

Hide them properly, and don't draw attention to their 'real' position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:20 pm 
Penguin

Thanks for the advice but... do you have to watch the lighting and stuff like that, it seems to me that it is very hard to use due to the thickness of the T. It seems like if it is average light they cant miss it.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:28 pm 
Penguin

rjsnyder114 wrote:
Thanks for the advice but... do you have to watch the lighting and stuff like that, it seems to me that it is very hard to use due to the thickness of the T. It seems like if it is average light they cant miss it.

Joe

Which ITR's have you used? The T differs in size from one to another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:41 pm 
Penguin

the thread genie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:35 pm 
Penguin

rjsnyder114 wrote:
the thread genie

The Thread Genii holds normal IT. You will not find anything thinner, except maybe the thread from the Spider Pen.

Just a note: you shouldn't be performing It effects in "average light" anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:27 am 
Penguin

Hey thanks for the heads up. I didnt really realize the light thing, never been told it before but I just always tried to control it. About the size of the thread, If you get the many strands that have to be separated it is very much thinner than the stock that I received in the Thread Genie.

Thanks for all the good information from you guys, you are great on this board. Its much appreciated to a guy still learning.

Joe

PS anyone wanting to trade ellusionist dvds or other expensive tricks I would def be interested rjsnyder1@verizon.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:36 pm 
Penguin

DaveV wrote:
Don't perform for friends, family or school mates.

Practice with a few magician friends, and go out and perform for total strangers.

I COMPLETELY AGREE!

I believe the problem you're having might be due to the fact that you're trying to sell the trick too hard. What I mean by that is if you make a serious claim like "you have so and so powers" then the crowd will be more curious and yet more suspicious,critical and even cynical. They will try to prove you wrong and show that you are a fake...So, instead I say "Do you have a dollar bill?", then I take it and levitate while they are watching in shock. I hardly call it before I do something, and give them the chance to watch it with a critical eye. I don't say " look, now I will levitate a dollar bill"...When you don't announce it, they don't expect it, and people generally are not as critical when they don't know what you'll do ahead of time...Surprise your audience, catch them off guard. When I got caught, it was ALWAYS when I announced it ahead of the effect...

In my experience it is harder to control people whom you interact on a daily basis closely. If someone knows you for quite a while, they seldom buy it when you claim one day suddenly that you have psychic or psychokinetic powers. So, don't decide to assume the role of Criss Angel or David Blaine one morning, and then get disappointed when they challenge you or catch you...I make sure they understand that I am doing this for fun. When you act casual, then your performance will be more comfortable and people won't be as anal...

It is easier to create a mysterious atmosphere with strangers since they don't know you. As many said here though, specs just don't know what exactly you're doing, but they are not idiots. Most of the time they know you're either faster than they can catch, or you're using something they can't figure out, and hardly they will think that you have supernatural powers. The fun part is they can't figure it out, so use it to your advantage, have fun. Now, I had some people believe that I could read their minds or have psychokinetic powers, but I didn't claim I had. Let your specs decide "what" you are, what matters is they just don't know what you're doing...If someone says you are a pyschic then go with it, or agree with it if a friend says "that's a nice trick!".

This was a long one, but I have been thinking about that a lot myself. So hope it helps.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:40 pm 
Penguin

Yea when your planning on doing tricks at school get one person and show them a trick and then tell your freinds to start rumors your awesome at magic plus that one kid you did magic for will tell his freinds. Then it will eventually get around and people who are truly intrested in magic will come to you and say "do a trick do a trick". You get like famous around town that way too (at least if you live in a small town like me) I have people I dont know asking me to do some magic, people putting money in my pocket when I say not now im busy. And also this way all the "freaks" as one of you called them (lol) who just want to ruin them wont be asking and even if they do ask then still try to ruin it since your "famous" everyone takes up for you and is like BACK UP FOOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:45 am 
Penguin

What I do, is I will immediately take control of the crowd, I will stand a few feet away and then say ok well for this you need to stand back some and move forward a few steps to go like you want them to move back, instead of being rude, just say "There ya go, perfect." When you go to move back, instead of returning to your old spot, take a another step and you should have plenty of room.

From there, I'd tell them any attempt to grab anything will result in a walkaway with no questions asked, any touching of your body will result in a sexual harassment law suit. After you tell them this, state your reason for telling them this, only make up a fib. Instead of saying "I am using invisible thread so you can't grab it..." say something like "I've had people attempt to pat me down and I've had to sue" you know, anything along those lines.

Just make sure you do it pretty quick that way you're not standing there for half an hour getting everything setup and telling stories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:17 pm 
Penguin

c0deh4x wrote:

From there, I'd tell them any attempt to grab anything will result in a walkaway with no questions asked, any touching of your body will result in a sexual harassment law suit.

I think that'd alienate your specs. They are there to have fun, not to be threatened...I think crowd control refers to controlling your audience by your attitude, body language and charisma, not by giving ultimatums about law suits. There's several one-liners to repel those who want to pat you and be a smart [edited]. If someone walks on you trying to grab things, it's your right to walk away or be a smart [edited] yourself. When someone tells me they know how I do it, I hand them whatever I am using, and say "OK, go ahead and do it then!". If someone comes close to touch, I say " I am trying have fun here but I think you're going too fast" OR "well you can touch but I might like it too much", and ditch whatever I am using (ex TT) or unhook my thread as they laugh and hand them the dollar bill. Distract them with words, make them laugh and they will behave. When you make them laugh, the atmosphere changes. If you threaten people every time before you do a trick, you might end up with no specs soon. Just consider that.

Cheers.
8)