View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:25 pm 

If you google "Johnson cups" you may find them there. I bought mine from a guy who quit busking for $200 (U.S.) which is really cheap. A good set of cups will run around $400 (U.S.) But remember They are made to be used in several shows a day, 7 days a week, year round. That's why they are not cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:14 am 

$400? You sure? Last time I checked they retailed for about $220. This was at Denny and Lee's just last week. Another $75 or so if you buy a matching Chop Cup.

For $400 you can move up to some smooth Sherwood cups and still have a little pocket change. Although I wouldn't use Sherwoods on the street. They're too pretty to risk scratching.

Last edited by DaveV on Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:18 am 
born to perform.

DaveV wrote:
$400? You sure? Last time I checked they retailed for about $220. This was at Denny and Lee's just last week. Another $75 or so if you buy a matching Chop Cup.

For $400 you can move up to some smooth Sherwood cups and still have a little pocket change. Although I wouldn't use Sherwoods on the street. They're too pretty to risk scratching.

My goodness, those are beautiful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:20 am 

You think those are something, take a look at these!

http://www.sherwoodmagic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:27 am 
born to perform.

DaveV wrote:
You think those are something, take a look at these!

http://www.sherwoodmagic.com

Unbelievable!
I would never buy the darn things, since they are simply too beautiful to use :shock: .
Seriously Dave, stop posting those things, you're making me sad (you-scoundrel-you) :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:13 pm 
Emperor Penguin

dbaker_creator wrote:
I would never buy the darn things, since they are simply too beautiful to use

Heh. Definately. They belong in a nice mahogany display case, or china cabinet. Not on the streets. ;)

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:21 pm 
Penguin

Thanx everyone.
And thanx Paddy.

I have a question though for Paddy. Are the Jhonson Cups that he posted the link for, are thoughs the same cups you have? Since the price range is so different.

Thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:40 pm 

Actually, after re-reading Paddy's post, he didn't say "Johnsons" were $400, just that he bought a set of Johnsons for $200 (about right) but *other* (unnamed) cups can cost $400 and up. He's right, $200 is cheap for a set of street capable cups, regardless of maker. I paid about $350 for my cups (Super Animals, no longer being made)and they were worth every penny.

You can pay less, but you'll get less. Thinner cups that won't survive a few drops on the pavement will cost less at first, but if you really use them, you'll be replacing them and the total cost could be more than if you bought something better in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:56 pm 
Penguin

ohh ok nevermind then.

thanx

PS: Are ther Jhonson cups something tho look into?
Or the cellini cups at www.theambitiouscard.com
Or the street cups giant from penguin
Or the brass / copper cups smooth not engraved at www.sherwoodmagic.com

lots of choices so can u guys help me

thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:03 pm 

There are standard cups that will hold a lemon or other moderately sized loads.
These include the Johnson cups and standard Penguins. Most of the under $100 cups fit in this category as well.

There are "large" cups that will take a baseball.
These include the Cellini's (barely takes a baseball) the Gary Animal "Babes" (currently out of production, but frequently listed on eBay), the Sisti cups, JES cups, both available at www.rnt2.com

Then there are "Jumbos" that will deliver something nearly the size of a softball or good sized orange.
These would be the "Gazzo" cups, Super Animals, the Millenium cups, etc... These are a bit harder to find as the price and availability is limited.
The Penguin "Giant" cups aren't the best quality wise, but they probably fit in this category as well.

For street work, I'd go for anything in the "Large" category. www.rnt2.com just released a line of "entry level" cups. The prices are great. They're also going to be the new makers of Gazzo cups soon, so keep an eye out for them as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:36 am 
born to perform.

Location: In a white room, With black curtains, At the Station
mattsharpe wrote:
clownzippo wrote:
Do you have any suggestions on the escape I should get?

Look into getting a straight jacket.

As for doves in the street, NO! Unless you want to have your bird fly away. As well trained as they are, I wouldn't be willing to take my dove outdoors.

Linking rings. There are many good routines, personally I would shop around before buying the rings here, there are great cheap sets out there, you just have to look for them. Also, for routines, check out Cellini, McBride, Whit Hayden, or even Shoot Ogawa(the ninja rings. They're small, but could be fine depending on what type of show you're doing).

Cups and balls. Now, the Gazzo cups are probably some of hte best street cups on the market. But what I would recomend you do, is pick up some Bazar De Magia cups, or another set of cheap copper ones. I use Morrisey cups, cheap too. Use those first, learn about the cups, and work with them. Frankly, you should see if you're going to actually use them, before you go and spend like $300 on a set...

All your other questions should be answered in the books and DVDs you have listed.

My friend at my magic club ties a very strone IT to his birds leg when performing outside. The string stops him for a second or 2 so you have enough time get him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:41 am 
Penguin

thanx but i'm not going to go with the bird approach.

DaveV: I will look int those cups thanx. Do you have any further information as to when the gazzo cups will be made again? Thanx!

Thanx again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:20 am 
Penguin

I have a question. Are these good cups? http://www.rnt2.com/product.aspx?productno=212

Thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:24 am 
Penguin

Or one of these:
http://www.rnt2.com/product.aspx?productno=168

http://www.rnt2.com/product.aspx?productno=173

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:49 pm 
born to perform.

clownzippo wrote:

These look very nice, and one of the descriptors said that it could fit a lacross ball (those are BIG). I would suggest those over the link in the preceeding post.

Overall, I would suggest the GAZZO cups. I've heard good things and as I understand they can comfortably hold an orange. Also, you may want to get GAZZO's video on the subject.

In any case, Dave V would know more about this than myself. So I would go with what he says. Unless he tells you to buy a set of Sherwood cups and send them to him; don't think I don't see you sceaming Dave-like the scoundrel you are :wink: .

Seriously though, Dave and Paddy know, so go with it.

Last edited by dbaker_creator on Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next