View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: David Blaine Exposure - SIGN THE PETITION
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:42 pm 
Penguin

itricks.com - Herbert Becker believes magic owes him a debt of gratitude and since the publication of his book All The Secrets of Magic Revealed in 1995, his critics have contended the exact opposite.

His writing career has since seen the publication of several other books dedicated to magic exposure and in 2008 he will add The Magic Secrets of David Blaine to that list, his first book in 11 years. Yet no matter the controversy, the author is absolute in his belief that his contributions to the magic industry have been phenomenal.

Please sign this petition to help make sure that this book is never publsihed.

CLICK HERE TO SIGN THE PETITION

Post the link in signatures, on your site, anywhere... Help stop magic exposure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:01 am 
born to perform.

This won't help. I'm about 98,73 % sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:15 am 
born to perform.

If there's no magic exposure books, how will us magicians ever lean magic? In 20 years there wouldn't be any of us left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:34 pm 
born to perform.

Agreed, magic books are mostly exposure books, apart from the ones that are theoretical or biographically based. We need exposure books, its how we learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:57 pm 
born to perform.

I think you have the wrong idea, guys. Exposure is usually attributed to someone trying to figure out an effect, or someone telling how an effect works for the sake of telling.

Magic Books TEACH, they do not expose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:07 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Like Fatal said, there is a difference between exposing and teaching. What people like the Mask Magician do, that's exposure. What Daryl does is teaching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:12 pm 
Penguin

He has every right to publish his book and a petition will only help improve his sales, if it does anything at all.

If you want to protest his book, simply do it in the grand old American fashion: don't buy it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:37 pm 
Penguin

yeah, its learning, people publish books that have exposer all the time. But its so you can learn. What do you think penguin is doing when you buy a product. They are teaching you the trick by exposing it. Its only fair because you have to pay. same with books. That book is going to cost money. It wont be free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:46 pm 
born to perform.

Ok people if you create something it is yours!

That means if I made the svengali deck, then I can burn it, spit on it, gold plate it, bury it, sell it, trade it, expose it, or do whatever I want with it!

But if I made it then that means you can't do anything with it that I don't want you to!

Meaning that you can't burn it, spit on it, gold plate it, bury it, sell it, trade it, expose it, or anything if I don't let you.

Exposing something is STEALING.

If the people who buy this guy's book learn anything Blaine did, but are not giving money to the creator of the effects, then they have STOLEN that secret.

If they buy it from the creator, or through some middle ground like Penguin, then its NOT STEALING.

Understand?

And just because you CAN EXPOSE.....

Does not make it OK TO EXPOSE!!

IT WILL DESTROY MAGIC!!!!!

Understand that? No more magic?? Because some good secrets are already becoming common knowledge, and if it continues at the same rate or at an increasing rate, then magic will no longer be in thirty or forty years because there will no longer be enough secrets.

Understand? Maybe? Please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:50 pm 
Penguin

i disagree. The one who buys the book isnt stealing. The author is. Because he is getting all the money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:33 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Kamodo wrote:
I disagree. The one who buys the book isnt stealing. The author is. Because he is getting all the money.
The author is stealing the ideas, and the people buying the book are supporting him. Therefore, you might as well be stealing. If I stole millions of dollars, and gave you the money (you knowing full well that I stole it), you would still be guilty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:27 am 
Penguin

I have a question. The instant download "Eye of the tiger", who does that belong to, Penguin? Nope, it can be found in a very common magic book. Penguin is porfiting from someone else idea, right? So, wouldn't they be stealing. Or as one person posted "exposing something is steal". By that persons definition aren't they exposing that trick? Not that i have a problem with that or penguin. I was just making a point. Also, Magic books are exposing magic secrets, thats whay they are made to do. The authors of the material whether its original material or not, do not care about who reads the book. They care about the money it will make them. Magic used to be like an apprenticeship, passed down from master to worthy student. The information disclosed to the pupil was done so because the master felt as if that person was worthy of that knoweldge. Putting magic tricks in books / dvds and putting out for the whole public to see, magic and laymen alike, says that you care more about the money it will make you then upholding the magicians code. Remember at one point you were a laymen, and someone or dvd or tape or book exposed the methods of our art to you. Without some form of exposer the art would die out. Thats just my opinion :) . Also, the book isn't going to stop the author from publishing the book nor would any legal action be taken. The first amendment covers their right to publish what they wish. If you want a case study that illustrates this. Just look at Larry Flints many supreme court battles envolving the material of his magazine Hustler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:38 am 
born to perform.

I think the difference between a book exposing magic and a magic book is that they are meant for different people.

Something like Card College tells you everything about card magic you'd ever want to know. However, it is meant to educate magicians and aspiring magicians about card magic. It is not sold at a place like Barnes and Nobles.

An exposure book is usually done specifically for monitary purposes. The people who buy it buy it to know the secrets, not to try and perform them.

Exposure is usually meant to show that it's all a trick, while 'magic books' and learning are meant to educate the magician as to how to do them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:45 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
I thought we had already discussed this and determined that there is nothing wrong with stealing magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:46 pm 
born to perform.

directly assualting a single performers methods is quite unethical. Books teaching magic are great, but books like these will attract the wrong kind of people. not people wanting to learn magic, but those just wanting to know how its done so they can feel smarter than others.