View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

did this help?
yes 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
no 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: routining (my first essay)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:48 pm 
Penguin

for the beginer and sometimes intermediat magician routining can be hard. i still have trouble with it but ill tell you what i know about it.

1. make sure the tricks go together or else its not that good of a show.
for instance if i put greed, recap revisted, and an acr together then thats jsut a bunch of tricks thrown together with no relation, but if i did this recap revisited, b-2 bomber, and greed using a TT to make the switch. then you have something. all of the tricks are related recap and b-2 both involve pens so you have a relation but a bonus about b-2 is its a dollar bill trick which gives you a good reason to ask for a bill, stab it, make it dissapear, then change to a quarter or 50 cent peice. if i did the greed recap and acr together. i would have to make a switch then pull out a pen put it away and dig for cards. for an example of a card routine. perform revolver then a couple color changes then make the deck dissapear. again all of them are related they involve cards and color changes.
2. some tricks are better left as a routine them selves.
3. your opening trick has to me your best of all the tricks. if it isnt practiced till perfection then no one will want to see your other tricks,
but also make sure your other tricks are really really close to as good if not as good.
4. your patter must make sense. try to make it a story that involves all of your tricks.
5. last but not least dont make it longer than 3 or 4 tricks. you want to leave them asking for more. not you performing more and them asking you to leave.

please if theres anything on routining i left out post a comment and ill add it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:16 am 
born to perform.

The most important thing is that the 'explanation' you offer is consistent. If recap was explained using Wilson's "Murphy's Law as applied to pens" presentation, b-2 is justified as magical healing powers then greed is presented as a skilful trick, your audience won't be very satisfied.

All kinds of objects with a common presentation will make for a better routine than cleverly linked tricks with inconsistent presentation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:24 am 
born to perform.

The first trick you perform in your act is what sets the tone for the remainder. It's also what your audience will judge you by, so it is best for it to have its first magical climax near the beginning (within the first minute or so).

The closer should be the strongest trick you do. Often this will be a longer, more elaborate routine with multiple climaxes.

The routine as a whole should have unity. Things that improve unity are that:
  1. You don't switch persona between tricks;
  2. You use the same props throughout, as mentalist3 said;
  3. Each trick has the same underlying theme, as Manic_B said;
  4. It's a good idea have a lesser theme that you return to periodically throughout the act. In the case of Mac King, it is the Fig Newton cookie.

At the same time you want to have diversity and variety in your routine. So, a mentalist won't just read minds all night: he'll do other things like transmit his thoughts to someone else or perform a memory feat, or psychokenesis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:04 pm 
born to perform.

iv often performed sponge balls, acr, and a chop cup routine as a routine. Does that make a bad routine, i think not. Your logic does not work in the real world. This is why you should only write an essay on something you know about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:56 am 
born to perform.

However, they are all 'transportation' routines, so the theme is common, unless you are inconsistent in your presentation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:22 am 
born to perform.

fair enough, however my routines do not always have common props and/or themes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:22 pm 
born to perform.

Do you think that they are examples of good routining?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:52 am 
born to perform.

yes i do, i dont think most people here know the meaning of routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:57 am 
born to perform.

And what is it that makes that routine a particularly fine example of good routining?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:46 pm 
born to perform.

ok to me a routine is a seletion of good tricks that you can entertain well with, they do not have to have any link whatsoever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:59 pm 
born to perform.

benlewis2004 wrote:
ok to me a routine is a seletion of good tricks that you can entertain well with, they do not have to have any link whatsoever.

And how do you flow from effect to effect during a routine if they don't link?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:05 pm 
born to perform.

That is a routine, and it may be good magic, but you can't claim that is good routining. Routining is the art of planning a routine that makes the magic or entertainment more smooth and effective. You are not routining at all, merely performing a succession of strong effects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:23 pm 
born to perform.

yes and this can be entirely through presentation without the type of trick, or presentation of the tricks, maybe you should learn something about this before you come in and tell me stuff that is not true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:28 pm 
born to perform.

I think I would need to see your performance to form a further opinion. It may be that you do actually fall into my idea of presentational routining without realising it, and by using a different set of definitions and terminology from myself are merely giving the impression, unintentionally or by misunderstanding, that you do not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:17 am 
born to perform.

At the moment I'm under the impression that either benlweis2004 has a good routine but doesn't know why it's good, or the routine as a whole is bad but the individual tricks are good.

I don't really agree with benlewis's defnition of a routine. A routine is a set sequence of activities, whether it be a going-to-bed routine, an exercise routine or a magic routine. This implies that you perform one thing after another for a reason. Take someone who works in a magic shop, who will demonstrate tricks to the customers. He could perform Sponge Balls to one customer, then ACR to a second and Chop Cup to a third. That isn't a routine; that's performing three separate tricks within close proximity of each other. I order to turn the three tricks into a routine the tricks should either flow into each other or build off the previous one(s).

An longer act might consist of several routines. These may not be as heavily linked. Still, you need to maintain the same persona and loose underlying theme going throughout the act.

Sponge Balls, ACR and Chop Cup could be considered routines in themselves. That's why you don't necessarily need strong links between them. If you're performing all three tricks as one routine then you need to make sure they build off each other.

In conclusion, benlewis was using the word "routine" to describe the word "act". [dusts off hands]