View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: question for stage performers...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:30 pm 
born to perform.

why do stage magic? i dont understand why someone would want to do stage. i personally dont like it because of the FACT that whatever is happening is fake and somehow setup... with cloesup, theres always the question...im talking about big stage ilusions like copperfield stuff like that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:34 pm 
born to perform.

why?i LOVE stage magic and copperfield is the best.little things like cards and stuff dont amaze people as much as flying,making a car appear out of nowhere,floating thru steel,all that kinda stuff gets way more reaction then little cards and stuff.btw this should be in the stage section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:35 pm 
born to perform.

i think you have it just the other way around... any other opinions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:43 pm 
born to perform.

yea i have one.. if you ever buy misled. there is a quote on the back from copperfeild that says how it really get's him when he does all these big illusions that cost tones of money, and the spectators walk away talking about the trick where a pencil melted through a dollar bill. small effects can and do have huge impacts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:38 pm 
born to perform.

If you are working close-up then your audience is about this big ::

If you are working stage it's this big:

:________________________________________________________:

Stage is going to pay. But it's going to cost. Won't find any serious stage magic on Penguin. Most effects cost in the thousands...

I don't do stage. But I certainly can see why one would be attracted to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:55 pm 
born to perform.

why would one be attracted to it? because of the mass amount of specs? becasue of the mass mount of money being made and being spent? in my opinion i think tht stage is a waste of time and money... id rather stick to closeup...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:10 pm 
Penguin

A waste of time and money?

LOL... no.

If you have made it big in magic, either..

A. you have used all the left over close-up tricks David Blaine hasn't performed... and have a special on t.v. or....

B. You're a stage performer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:11 pm 
born to perform.

I like close up because you use ordinary objects people can relate to. people can't really relate to a strange contraption up on stage with smoke and lights flashing all around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:18 pm 
Penguin

Well... Stage and close-up are two really different things...

I think of stage as a show... you want there to be something extreme don't you? Wouldn't you be dissapointed if it wasn't loud and flashy?

Well, close-up is the opposite. It's in your face, magic, that you can't deny. Usually better done with a calmer, soothing atmosphere, with a mystical aura to it... really quite different then stage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:26 pm 
born to perform.

its like o woop te doo, the statue of liberty disapeared or the gigantic truck is mising, but when you bite a quarter in half and and spit it back on its jst more "real"... as the copperfield quote says on misled...im not tlking about all stage acts, im talking about the BIG ones like sawing in half and boxes cutting in half all that stuff... its so...Blah...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:30 pm 
Penguin

I agree with you on that, but not everyone is a magician man...

Little kids love that stuff...

When you get past the tricks invented in the 1700's, like sawing someone in half, you will see that there are some pretty crazy stage illusions too...

I mean, really crazy... go to Vegas and check out P&T, Copperfield, and Sarmoti... they all have some cutting edge illusioins that will impress the edited out of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:44 pm 
born to perform.

Tristan wrote:
I agree with you on that, but not everyone is a magician man...

Little kids love that stuff...

When you get past the tricks invented in the 1700's, like sawing someone in half, you will see that there are some pretty crazy stage illusions too...

I mean, really crazy... go to Vegas and check out P&T, Copperfield, and Sarmoti... they all have some cutting edge illusioins that will impress the edited out of you.

tristan is exactly right.this is what im trying to say.! your just so stubborn

j/k but i like stage more than closeup and those mysterious stage contraptions on stage with smoke and lights and stuff is what the crowd also likes.closeup is more for school occasions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:22 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Yes, just cuz one person don't like one type of magic, doesn't mean everyone else will. As alot of ppl grow in magic, they like close-up more cuz you use natural objects ppl understand, and are less easier to question. Before Blaine, magicians made their living with stage. Imagine if abc said no, we won't take the chance with Blaine. Who knows how that would have impacted magic as it is now. These forums would be much more bare i would bet. I for one love doing stage, but I don't have the money for big illusions.

Mini stage type tricks I love to do though.(hippity hop rabbits,silk routines,dove pan etc.) Also I can walk up to the audience for some close-up. So for me, I like both. Yes performing close-up is more gratifying, but all my money was earned with some type of stage magic. Thats also what captivated me as a kid. It depends, are you watching from a regular spectators point of view, or a magicians? Also more ppl can be shown stage magic, and is less angle sensitive. I appreciate and like all magic, and everybody will have their own preference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:38 pm 
born to perform.

stage is great, i greatly enjoy it, it gives me a vaction for all the close up i do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:42 pm 
born to perform.

Right now I do close-up stuff. But I love stage magic, and wish that one day I could do it. I love watching it more than close up. I mean some of the stuff they do is un real. It's just flat out amazing (not saying that close-up isn't). To me at least, stage is just so, I have no word to describe it .

All forms of magic are good. They all have their good and bad sides. People like what they like. If we all liked the exact same thing and did the exact same thing, life would be kind of boring. There isn't really any point making an argument about magic, because well, in the end, no one will have changed their minds.

We all do and like what we do. Everyone is different.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Traylen on Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.