View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:43 pm 
born to perform.

Traylen wrote:
Right now I do close-up stuff. But I love stage magic. I love watching it more than close up. I mean some of the stuff they do is un real. It's just flat out amazing (not saying that close-up isn't). To me atleast, stage is just so, I have no word to describe it :wink: .

All forms of magic are good. They all have their good and bad sides. People like what they like. If we all liked the exact same thing and did the exact same thing, life would be kinda boring. There isn't really any point making an arguement about magic, because well, in the end, no one will have changed their minds.

We all do and like what we do. Everyone is different.

Just my 2 cents.

ya i agree with what ur saying, stage is awsome to watch mostly because some of the stuff (altho gimmicked) u might not figure out how it works

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:16 pm 
born to perform.

This is killing me...

Yeah everyone here could do it but chooses to do closeup instead....

There is a forum called "Stage" I'll bet my last post on that forum was a month ago and is still on page one.

Took a look.. Last post on 9/16 and it's still 6th from the top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:27 pm 
Penguin

You have no idea what good stage magic is like until you see a Copperfield or a Burton live. Don't write it off as flashy mysterious contraptions. The quality magicians have eliminated anything obviously fishy.

In this last Copperfield show, I'm trying to remember anything that seemed like a big, ugly, fishy contraption...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:56 pm 
born to perform.

ya ive seen copperfield, lance burton, penn and teller, there awsome! best stage magic ever :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:11 am 
born to perform.

Stage magic is expensive and I don't have $2,500 laying around...So while I think it's just as good as close up until I can build my own and have enough money to buy some I do close up/parlor. I find ALL facets of magic phenominal for the most part....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:13 am 
born to perform.

Adammcd wrote:
Stage magic is expensive and I don't have $2,500 laying around...So while I think it's just as good as close up until I can build my own and have enough money to buy some I do close up/parlor. I find ALL facets of magic phenominal for the most part....

well if u really want to do stage magic and ur ready for big stuff u can get a budget and sponsors but thats what takes some close up magic heh, takes money to make money :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:24 am 
born to perform.

immortaldusk wrote:
I like close up because you use ordinary objects people can relate to. people can't really relate to a strange contraption up on stage with smoke and lights flashing all around.

Well thats why people like it, including myself. I'd rather see some odd contraption penetrating through a beautiful woman and her comnig out completly harmless. I'd rather see that then see a pen go through a dollar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:29 am 
born to perform.

Also: I have also seen Penn and Teller and Copperfield, 2 totally different shows and they were great!!!!! If I had to choose, I'd go see P&T again because I prefer comedy...Although Copperfeidl was funny and had a GREAT stage personality, I'd see P&T over him. ONE more thing is its not these "flashy stage illusions and junk like that" its how you perform them. ANy rich guy can have someone build illusions for them and he goes on stage and does them......BORING!!! But you have to be able to go on stage and put on a good show and keep the audience happy and thats just what these stage magicians do, On my list, the illusions they do are last, their performance of the illusion is first on the list. Later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:42 am 
born to perform.

Quote:
This is killing me...

Yeah everyone here could do it but chooses to do closeup instead....

There is a forum called "Stage" I'll bet my last post on that forum was a month ago and is still on page one.

Took a look.. Last post on 9/16 and it's still 6th from the top.

The reason for that is. This site sells like nothing for stage magicians. Most stage magicians go to other forums. Also, haven't you noticed that most people on THESE boards are like 15 or so? It's possible but not many young teenagers have stage shows. If you want to ask about stage illusions there is no point asking here. Because penguin doesn't really sell any thing for them, so they probably never come to this site.

Just my 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:54 am 
born to perform.

im not saying that stage sucks. im not saying that i dont enjoy watching it performed. i just am saying that it just seems that there is no challenge btwn spec and magician. (not based on experience, so could be wrong)... thats very true , if Blaine wasnt around, i wouldnt be into magic as much. he exposed so many to magic... i remember when i was in the 5th grade and my moms had a magician for my b day party. it was pretty cool, he made birds and so on appear that cool stuff. enjoyed watching it but didnt really spark my interest in magic as Blaine did... i dont its just something about closeup that really made a bigger impact on me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:20 pm 
born to perform.

People are most accustomed to stage and i like to do the big things, thats where you get the best reactions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:19 am 
Penguin

For what it's worth...
I do both types of magic because I like performing both types. Here are some reasons why:
1) I can make people happy doing any kind of magic
2) Sometimes I am in the mood for the more personal magic close up provides. One on one with the spectator.
3) Sometimes I am in the mood for the bright light and applause
4) I get paid for doing either type
5) Stage is expensive. I was pricing the Asarah alevetation because I sold mine. Now I want to do it again. It coast thousands to by. Fortunately I love to build and make things. So I built the the complete setup. Everything, for less than $100.00
6) I do escapes also. Love the challenge
7) Sometimes it is the mood I'm in.

There are aspects about both I don't enjoy. I don't enjoy setting up for a stage show and not having accsess to lighting and sound that was promised me. I don't like the little kids peeking in my stuff, I don't like the adult spectatoe who is so rude he reaches out and grabs things.

These things don't happen all the time. Because 97% of the time things go the way I want them to, It is all fun. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:40 pm 
born to perform.

at a web site, i cant tell you what it is but the initials a TT, the first word is a small one. it sells there for $250, i think thats the price, but i know its not thousands of dollars and is definately less than$350!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:44 pm 
Penguin

I know I'm real late on responding to this topic but I think that the record needs to be set straight. I am a full time close up performer and I am also working on building a stage show. You have to understand that up close magic and stage magic are two totally separate forms of the art and share equally in difficulty and impressiveness but each in their own way. If you have ever found it hard to misdirect 10 peoples attention, you have to be a freaking master of misdirection to misdirect 5,000 peoples attention. I love both forms, but don't be so ignorant as to think that just because close up magic happens right under their nose that it makes it more impressive or more difficult than stage magic. Or to think that just because you can levitate a car that it is more impressive or difficult than floating a borrowed dollar up close.

Both are very impressive and "magical" if done properly and each share the load in difficulty and reward but each in their own unique way. I would suggest that you hang around with some people that do stage magic just so that you can see and appreciate the differences that make all types of magic "magic". One last thought, Never get into the mindset that the magic you perform is "the way" of doing it. The very first secret to living a successful life is to be teachable and to understand that you don't know it all. Allow yourself to be taught by those who know what they are talking about and learn from those who have done it. Smart people learn from their own mistakes but wise people learn from other peoples mistakes.

Good luck in the future.

Post subject: Re: question for stage performers...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:34 pm 
Penguin

rucusoner wrote:
why do stage magic? i dont understand why someone would want to do stage. i personally dont like it because of the FACT that whatever is happening is fake and somehow setup... with cloesup, theres always the question...im talking about big stage ilusions like copperfield stuff like that...

I'm 100% on your side, buddy. :D

Steve

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next