View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Commit to Magic and there is no Santa Clause.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:10 pm 
Penguin

Why did you click to read this topic?
Were you taken by the subject line?
What does the subject line of this post mean?

The subject line of this post is metophoric statement that all should be proud to refer to. When you were a child the idea of Santa Clause brought you joy and many amazements of how Santa did that. How did he go to every house in the world in one night? It was a true joy to be mystified by this man (Or what ever icon your nationality refers to other than St. Nick). Many Christmas trees later one way or another you discovered that Santa Clause was not real and you were devistated perhaps or no longer felt the magic of Christmas. Now you are grown and understand and are able to accept why you were lied to. You were given an illusion from your parents to ensure that your world was magical as it could possibly be. After you found out the truth maybe you wished that you had never knew.

Some to many here grew up amazed with magic. You flash back and realize back then the most corny show you seen was great and you had a blast perhaps. Now you are a studying magician yourself and know many tricks of the trade. Maybe you feel depressed or no longer fulfilled now that you know the secret behind a once magical world you enjoyed before knowing the secrets. Can you still remember how great the magical world was to watch and before you knew the tricks? I know I do. I have read of those who are dissappointed and wished that they had never found out the secrets and that it ruined there childhood amazment. That is not the case.. You were amazed before you knew.. Even full grown adults are amazed before they knew.. I would not trade the magical world I experieced before knowing for anything.

That magician that came to my school as a kid was my Santa Clause. I thought he was a human with super powers.. That man has long gone and now its your turn to be that kids Santa Clause. Always cherish the magical world you are now able to offer to others.

This essay was inspired by the following quote:

LittleBitOLunacy Said:

Quote:
This is just a random comment about how I'm highly disappointed with all of the knowledge I now have about magic. I went into this as a total magic virgin and now I know how everything is done... I'm so depressed now... Yeah, sure, it's cool that I can do it all and trick everyone into believing what I'm selling, but I'm seriously depressed because all of my childhood dreams and fantasies have been torn to shreds and no magician can restore that...

Wicked_Magic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:41 pm 
born to perform.

well stated. I wish I could have read this before i did what was stated. I think many people do that--spend tons of moneylearn a bunchof tricks that become well useless to them. I also like the point of santa clause. Nice essay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:13 pm 
Penguin

wow that was a good essay. I have been doing magic for only these last two years, but I pour everything I have into it (NOTE:Not money wise, but time and effort, in acutality I have spent very little money, moslty only on decks of cards and books) This is the first time I ever really stopped to consider if I would have been better off not knowing so I could still enjoy the astonishment. I read this a few days ago and then came back to write this; I feel that as magician's alot of us have gotten into it because we have seen and enjoyed magic in the past and we all know the feeling of being totally decieved and shocked and astonished. Whenever I perform for people I want to give THEM that feeling. A lot of magicaians I talk to talk more about fooling people and scaring them, but I think that we have to remember that we're entertainers. We grew up looking at magicians and enjoying them and now that we are in their positions we should take the feelings they gave us and give it right back to everyone we perform for. So in short I don't regret knowing what I know, because now instead of just simply enjoying the magic myself, I'm now a part of the magic and I can share with all I meet, the magic I love.

Post subject: Well done...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:10 pm 
Penguin

Nicely done. You've addressed a topic here that is really close to my heart. I know of people who have gotten into magic only to be disappointed. The problem was with their interest to begin with. When they see a magic trick, they're amazed, astonished, maybe even blown away. They want to learn how it's done, but when it comes down to it, that's all the want. They're gripped by a curiosity that moves them to discover the unknown, simply for the sake of knowing.

Anyway, I think the best way I can express my love for magic is through a quote from the film The Prestige. The character Angier says something along these lines near the end of the film:

(To Borden, in regards to what he believed performing magic was about)

"The world is solid. Solid all the way through. If you can fool them for just a second, then you'll have seen something truly wonderful. You really don't know do you? It was the looks on their faces."

That's what it's all about. The atmosphere you create, the looks on their faces as they witness something impossible happen. It's a way to escape this world, with its harsh boundaries and borders. My screen name here was created based on my feelings on this topic. "Reality's Fugitive." When I'm out their performing, I'm running from reality. The tricks I do, even though I know their secrets, are as magical to me as they are to my spectators.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:37 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Well you can never know everything. And most magicians dont let the fact that We might know the secret kill the enjoyment from watching another magician. I can still go see lance, David, and others and still enjoy the shows and be amazed. I can look past the fact that I know the secret.

I am not "depressed" or "saddened" in the least bit. IF anything my 'joy' and amazment has grown.

And now knowing the secrets, I too can bring the joy and entertainment to the people.

I think if learning the secrets depresses you, then this isnt the right hobby or job for you.