View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Experience?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:46 pm 
born to perform.

I want to do restaurant magic part time through college. I have a predicament, I am technically specking (slights) good to go but, I know I need more performance time to "Master"(NO don't start up that discussion again) my routines...
I currently have 4(A couple tricks each ,different in time) that I really like and have the technical aspect down. I feel that in order to get good experience (audience control, style, rapport, naturalness) I should perform in a setting similar to a restaurant but I will take any performance I can get. I do as many charity events as I can (I have 2 Type I diabetes events coming up). Over all I need to find more audiences to perform to.

How do you guys/girls think that I can get in more performance time to better prepare me for a restaurant?

Last edited by pookie on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:03 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Live at the Jailhouse, and Kirk Charles guide on resturaunt magic. Get them, they will answer your questions

Post subject: Re: Experience?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:16 pm 

pookie wrote:
I want to do resteraunt magic part time through college. I have a prediciment, I am technically specking (slights) good to go but, I know I need more performace time to "Master"(NO don't start up that discussion again)my routines...
I currently have 4(A couple tricks each ,diffrent in time) that I really like and have the technical aspect down. I feel that in order to get good experience( audience control, style, raport, naturalness) I should perform in a setting similar to a resteraunt but I will take any performace I can get. I do as many charity events as I can(I have 2 Type I diabietes events coming up). Over all I need to find more audiences to perform to.

How do you guys/girls think that I can get in more performance time to better prepare me for a resteraunt?

Well in that short question there are 8, count them, eight, errors. I would pay less attention to magic and more attention to schoolwork. The only reason I bring this up is that you claim that you intend to go to college. There isn't a college that counts that would accept you with writing like that. If you did get accepted you certainly would fail out of your English 101 class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:31 pm 
Penguin

Paddy is right. darn thats alot of mistakes. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:59 pm 
Emperor Penguin

paddy wrote:
pookie wrote:
I want to do resteraunt magic part time through college. I have a prediciment, I am technically specking (slights) good to go but, I know I need more performace time to "Master"(NO don't start up that discussion again)my routines...
I currently have 4(A couple tricks each ,diffrent in time) that I really like and have the technical aspect down. I feel that in order to get good experience( audience control, style, raport, naturalness) I should perform in a setting similar to a resteraunt but I will take any performace I can get. I do as many charity events as I can(I have 2 Type I diabietes events coming up). Over all I need to find more audiences to perform to.

How do you guys/girls think that I can get in more performance time to better prepare me for a resteraunt?

Well in that short question there are 8, count them, eight, errors. I would pay less attention to magic and more attention to schoolwork. The only reason I bring this up is that you claim that you intend to go to college. There isn't a college that counts that would accept you with writing like that. If you did get accepted you certainly would fail out of your English 101 class.

Personally my spelling sucks, and I will admitt that. My degree in college is math based so english is not a concern of mine. I actually dont have to take any english classes. I took all I needed in high school [making a 90]. I now attend Texas A&M, one of the top colleges in the USA.
And over all his spelling is a lot better than others that I have seen, and I know that you have seen them too. He had 8 out of that post, I have seen where every other word was wrong in some way. So I say, enless its just [edited], lay off and give some real advice. One reason why spell check was created, for us that are more math, theater or science based.
I know that your post was too him, but its getting annoying.

[and I dont care if I made a few mistakes, it is not the end of the world, and you can read it.]
jst be glad its not as bad as ohers ive sen her on penguin.

[I am having a rough night]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:52 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
pookie wrote:

Oh! Sorry I already have my English credits out of the way I took A.P. English and a class at a community college.

I edited the above post and I would really like to know were I could get in more performance time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:01 am 
Emperor Penguin

Family, friends, camera, stray dogs, random people. You don't need an audience to practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:29 am 
born to perform.

Well not for practice, but for experience you need an audience. That helps things like getting nervous, hecklers, etc. My suggestion is just perform all the time for anyone you're around a lot. I feel like I want to get in lots of experience because I want to work at a restaraunt this summer, so I have been doing magic almost everyday at school for my classmates during break or lunch or whenever. So just find a chance during your day to day life to show one or two tricks to some people you are around. And once your routines are set and practiced a little you might use a routine if you have enough time with the people.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:21 am 

pookie wrote:
I want to do restaurant magic part time through college. I have a predicament, I am technically specking (slights) good to go but, I know I need more performance time to "Master"(NO don't start up that discussion again) my routines...
I currently have 4(A couple tricks each ,different in time) that I really like and have the technical aspect down. I feel that in order to get good experience (audience control, style, rapport, naturalness) I should perform in a setting similar to a restaurant but I will take any performance I can get. I do as many charity events as I can (I have 2 Type I diabetes events coming up). Over all I need to find more audiences to perform to.

How do you guys/girls think that I can get in more performance time to better prepare me for a restaurant?

OK Pookie, now I'll answer it.remeber that all magic, and especially restaurant work is ENTERTAINING. Don't worry so much about the tricks as about the presentation of them in an interesting and entertaining manner.

On Live at the Jailhouse one person does a sponge ball routine. A simple thing that most of the kids here can do. However, the way he presents it is GREAT!!, ENTERTAININEG, and FUN. A simple thing like that is all you need to be a great restaurant magician. Remeber the KISS program. Keep It Simple Stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:48 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
pookie wrote:

OK Pookie, now I'll answer it.Remeber that all magic, and especially restaurant work is ENTERTAINING. Don't worry so much about the tricks as about the presentation of them in an interesting and entertaining manner.

On Live at the Jailhouse one person does a sponge ball routine. A simple thing that most of the kids here can do. However, the way he presents it is GREAT!!, ENTERTAININEG, and FUN. A simple thing like that is all you need to be a great restaurant magician. Remeber the KISS program. Keep It Simple Stupid.

Thank you so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:25 pm 
born to perform.

Do you think that working at a restaurant for free would be a good way to get experience?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:10 am 
Emperor Penguin

pookie wrote:
Do you think that working at a restaurant for free would be a good way to get experience?
No, you're a magician. You've taken a lot of time learning the art. Your time is valuable. If you are confident in your performance, then you should be alright. Just make sure that you know what you are doing (as in the effect).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:15 am 
born to perform.

pookie wrote:

I know I'm going against everything most professional magicians believe in here, but hear me out.

I work one restaurant for tips. I have done so (at the same place) for quite some time. It was my first restaurant job and has been quite a learning experience. Since I work for free, the restaurant owner doesn't care how my performances go (so I can try new effects on a real audience).

If you are going to do something like this, go to a local Bar and Grill (preferably a small one). Mine is a sports bar.

Important points: don't let people know that you work there for free. If someone asks what the owner is paying you, tell them "My restaurant rate is $XXX per hour."

This is a great way to get more clients. The majority of my private party work comes from my restaurant jobs. If you can't get hired to work a restaurant, doing one for free might get you a few bucks anyway.

Other good places to get noticed: Hair/nail salons (women getting their hair/nails done have kids to), Malls, fairs, shopping centers (highly recommended), open air restaurants (also highly recommended).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:04 pm 
born to perform.

dbaker_creator wrote:
pookie wrote:

I know I'm going against everything most professional magicians believe in here, but hear me out.

I work one restaurant for tips. I have done so (at the same place) for quite some time. It was my first restaurant job and has been quite a learning experience. Since I work for free, the restaurant owner doesn't care how my performances go (so I can try new effects on a real audience).

If you are going to do something like this, go to a local Bar and Grill (preferably a small one). Mine is a sports bar.

Important points: don't let people know that you work there for free. If someone asks what the owner is paying you, tell them "My restaurant rate is $XXX per hour."

This is a great way to get more clients. The majority of my private party work comes from my restaurant jobs. If you can't get hired to work a restaurant, doing one for free might get you a few bucks anyway.

Other good places to get noticed: Hair/nail salons (women getting their hair/nails done have kids to), Malls, fairs, shopping centers (highly recommended), open air restaurants (also highly recommended).

Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:17 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
pookie wrote:

Actually, 12 (I am a spelling/grammar freak :D. Just ignore me. )

~Z