View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Do people like to watch?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:37 pm 
born to perform.

Simple do you get reactions as good as magic with escapes? Davethecryptic i tried to ask you online but you wernt there.

Post subject: Re: Do people like to watch?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:54 pm 
Emperor Penguin

tkies wrote:
Simple do you get reactions as good as magic with escapes? Davethecryptic i tried to ask you online but you wernt there.

Oh, sorry, I have been bussy today.

You can get just as good reactions, if not better. IT really depends on your presentation. You have to be able to hold their attention, which can be very hard if your locked away in some box. This is one reason why I think escapes is slightly more challenging than magic- as you arent always there to talk.
I have always been able to achieve great reactions- from some small escapes in a restuarant to large scale on stage.
and since escapes are slightly rarer; so you get a slightly different mind set from the audience.

And once the escapes get up there to death defying, the reactions are almost given- but not always- you have to sell it still.

One thing i dont think i addressed very well- fallingblood brought up- the failing factor and escape factor.
IF you perform the SJ (many ways- some comedy some serious- both can hold the attention of viewers); but when performing it in the more serious fashion, the people viewing tend to fight with you. You can see it in their faces and words, and some times their body movements. They feel trapped with you, in a sense. Once you free your self, it allows them to breath a sigh of relief.

But still the key factor is presentation.

Last edited by DavidTheCryptic on Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:56 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Yes, people like seeing escapes. In many escapes there is a factor of danger in it, that interests people. It's kind of like that they would like to see you fail, but at the same time hope that you succeed.

Then there is the psychology behind escapes. First, many people don't consider it magic. They see it as something real. But at the same time, it also can represent freeing oneself from all the crap in life.

So yes, people like seeing escapes, for different reasons. David could answer a lot better though.

*Edit, David did answer a lot better*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:16 pm 
Emperor Penguin

A good book to pick up is Santini's- Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Entertaining With Escapes. It covers the behind the scences aspect. Doesnt teach escapes; but teaches the structure, design, presentation, and other key points. It has helped me quiet a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:51 pm 
born to perform.

Escape presentation is an interesting subject. To do either escapes or mentalism with the proper degree of impact, the first thing you have to do is stop thinking like a magician (!)

You have to play it as if it is real (many times it IS real).

Many escape performers make the mistake of trying to be 'the new Houdini' and performing in that generic style. The key to any form of entertainment is to develop your own style and image; contrary to the stereotype, there are many ways to present escapology.

Skipp Darby uses 'theatre of the absurd' comedy.

Steve Santini plays a 'heavy metal' daredevil escaping from heavy metal/gothic 'nightmare devices.'

Arthur Coughlin (sp?) presents his escapes as mysterious 'brain busters.'

Mario Manzini is sort of an 'escape Elvis.'

I perform as a mystic who includes escapes as part of his 'mind over matter' demonstrations (alongside mentalism and fakir stunts). I don't even call myself an escape artist anymore.

Post subject: Escapes
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:29 am 
Penguin

Location: Well I was thinking about it but, I like your moms house
Everyone loves escapes
The reaction you will get will be tremendous
Most of it does have to do with the way u present it to
But ya and if your looking for escape plans try www.weirdthings.com
And i suggest Tarbell it has some cool escapes in there but the books are kind of expensive
So good luck

Post subject: Re: Escapes
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:17 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Duke_sewell wrote:
Everyone loves escapes
Most of it does have to do with the way u present it to
But ya and if your looking for escape plans try www.weirdthings.com
And i suggest Tarbell it has some cool escapes in there but the books are kind of expensive
So good luck

Everyone loves escapes

Not true, not true at all.

Again not true. I have seen great escapes get little appauluse due to lack in presentation.

There are better places than tarbells as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:02 pm 
Penguin

Location: Well I was thinking about it but, I like your moms house
Yes but Tarbell is a great source
And yes presintation is what makes the trick even better

I guess i got proven wrong :)