View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:39 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
Who cares!!! We're talking about Blaine here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:02 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 7
let them publish it...

its not like EVERYONE is gonna get it
only the ones who WANT to be magicians.
and if you want to, you should be given an oppurtunity


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:38 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 04 Dec 2005
Posts: 728
Location: Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.
aatobaa wrote:
let them publish it...

its not like EVERYONE is gonna get it
only the ones who WANT to be magicians.
and if you want to, you should be given an oppurtunity


Most people who get this book are probably not going to be aspiring magicians. This book will be sold at regular book stores that have a lot more laymen going there than magicians. A lot of people who buy this book are going to be laymen who get this book to find out the secrets and look smart. They will not have an interest in magic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:18 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 18 May 2006
Posts: 1784
The day before yesterday someone told me they didn't care if I told them how I did a trick or not in a very rude, sarcastic way, and then told me they didn't care because they would just find out how I did it on the internet.

Well, you know what, even though I told them its not on the internet the truth is that it is. So if that person looks for the secret and learns it, they will give away the secret to at least 5 other people, and no magician will be able to perform that trick with them in the audience. However, from those 5 people at least 5 more people will learn the secret. And by that time, many other people have learned the secret from the original exposing source, and they have spread it out to like 10 people. So in that small amount of time, many, many, many people will have learned a closely guarded secret of magic.

Exposure is wrong. Get that in your heads. If you enjoy magic and want to perform it, then you must realize that if people know you are stepping on something instead of floating they could care less. They can step on stuff too. Its nothing special.


Get it????


If secrets are exposed to the public there won't be anymore magic.

And for those who say "Yes there will.... we will just make more" no, we won't. There are only so many sleights a hand can do, only so many ways to manipulate objects, and only so many ways you can amaze an audience.

Its NOT an endless, vast space of invention like technology.

We only have so many ways to accomplish tricks, including discovered methods and undiscovered methods.

There is a limit to the number of ways to do a magic trick, and the closer you get to reaching that number the longer it takes to get there.

That means as magic moves on through time, because we will discover more and more methods there will be less and less of them to discover, and that means since it will be less likely to think of them, it will take us longer to do so.

So our secrets can't just be given away. Since they are being so massively exposed now magicians need to protect our secrets harder than we ever have before. They are in more danger of more massive exposure than ever before. And that will do irreversible harm to magic that won't heal within our lifetimes, if it ever will because of technology.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:31 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 28 Nov 2006
Posts: 20
I agree. Magic books should not be readily available to the public, there should be a law agianst that; for its been that way for thousands of years! Why must we let some "excited-little-kid" --figuritively speaking--change that(you know the type if you ever been on youtube looking for magic)
They probably used to assasinate people like that (back then) for things of that sort.
We all should stand up for our craft and protect its secrecy! (thats only common sense guys. If we don't, magic would disappear right before ourt eyes, that means no more fun!)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:38 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 28 Nov 2006
Posts: 20
Someone should write a book obscuring our methodology, giving rediculous methods that would never work but sounds good to the laymen!
You know what I'm sayin! :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:32 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 3193
Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
jon666 wrote:
Someone should write a book obscuring our methodology, giving rediculous methods that would never work but sounds good to the laymen!
You know what I'm sayin! :twisted:


Like saying that you can learn good magic buy purchasing instant dowloads from Penguin??


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:52 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 04 Dec 2005
Posts: 728
Location: Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.
jon666 wrote:
Someone should write a book obscuring our methodology, giving rediculous methods that would never work but sounds good to the laymen!
You know what I'm sayin! :twisted:


Someone made a website like that:

http://www.mallusionist.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:15 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 18 Aug 2002
Posts: 5856
Location: www.anythingmagic.net
I have spent the last month fighting with an exposure website about exposure and it gets you nowhere. Exposure is here to stay, and we as magicians need to find ways around it.

First, stop showing "tricks" and start showing entertaining effects that people will not care how it was done, because they were entertained.

Second, quit showing effects to someone you know is an A H0LE and only wants the secret.

Third, quit buying the newest thing to hit the market, there are thousands upon thousands of effects in books and dvds that will never make it to the internet and exposure sites because kids who want to expose will not know where to find them.

Fourth, quit crying about it. I have learned from the past month long argument that crying about this gets you no where. It only fuels those that expose to do it more. Of course there is the exception who may see his errors, but its a slim to none chance.

This book is going to be an exposure book, but noone is going to read it.


That is all for now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:14 am 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 663
The average layman doesn't care and has a short memory.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:23 am 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 2608
Location: My Mommy Says I Can't Tell You
But the book is probably aimed towards laymen readers. But anyways, the link dont work.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:18 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 14 Jul 2006
Posts: 88
Morph wrote:
I have a question. The instant download "Eye of the tiger", who does that belong to, Penguin? Nope, it can be found in a very common magic book. Penguin is porfiting from someone else idea, right? So, wouldn't they be stealing. Or as one person posted "exposing something is steal". By that persons definition aren't they exposing that trick? Not that i have a problem with that or penguin. I was just making a point. Also, Magic books are exposing magic secrets, thats whay they are made to do. The authors of the material whether its original material or not, do not care about who reads the book. They care about the money it will make them. Magic used to be like an apprenticeship, passed down from master to worthy student. The information disclosed to the pupil was done so because the master felt as if that person was worthy of that knoweldge. Putting magic tricks in books / dvds and putting out for the whole public to see, magic and laymen alike, says that you care more about the money it will make you then upholding the magicians code. Remember at one point you were a laymen, and someone or dvd or tape or book exposed the methods of our art to you. Without some form of exposer the art would die out. Thats just my opinion :) . Also, the book isn't going to stop the author from publishing the book nor would any legal action be taken. The first amendment covers their right to publish what they wish. If you want a case study that illustrates this. Just look at Larry Flints many supreme court battles envolving the material of his magazine Hustler.


The thing is Penguin has probably purchused the right to sell that trick to any who wish to buy it. The difference between penguin and the author is that the creator has given express permission to the one who sells it to sell. chew on that for a while


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:53 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 3193
Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
mushroomking wrote:
The thing is Penguin has probably purchused the right to sell that trick to any who wish to buy it. The difference between penguin and the author is that the creator has given express permission to the one who sells it to sell. chew on that for a while


This is a common trick that is in many beginning magic books.

As far as I know, the author is unknown. (I may be wrong here; if so, someone will let us know)


So, who did Penguin have to pay for the right to sell this trick?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: This Guy's Fighting Exposure Too
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:45 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 1
Came across an interesting article on http://www.insidemagic.com composed by someone who is identifying himself as The Devilish Magician, check out the interesting article through this link and while you're at it check out DM's website http://devilishmagician.awardspace.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Heil!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:59 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 02 Sep 2007
Posts: 140
Magicians are such a bunch of Nazis it seems...wanting to ban books, and the like. The book will be published. Encourage readers to boycott buying it if you wish, but America is based upon free speech, so you have no right to prevent its publication. The test of our dedication to free speech is whether we believe in it when the speech is something we don't like. How would you feel if your favorite magicians were not allowed to publish their biographies...or the trick secrets they want to sell you, and you want to buy? How about when your fave band is banned from publishing their latest songs because someone objected to the lyrics? What will you say when the Jerry Falwell types try to ban this very venue...because it promotes magic...which is Satanism? The fools did try to ban the Harry Potter books, and movies, for just that reason. Chill out, dude.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.