View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A little advice for a beginner....
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:48 pm 
Penguin

Hey guys! I know you're all probably tired of seeing advice threads pop up all the time, but I could really use a little bit of help. So please, take a little time and read this all the way through. ;)

First off, let me say that I've been practicing magic for a few years now, but not seriously. What I mean by that is that it was really nothing more than a hobby. Now, before you tell me I'm not ready for a walkaround performance/job, let me say that it has indeed become a serious thing to me. Magic consumes a great deal of my time, and is always at the forefront of my mind.

Another big part of my life is my involvement at my church. Each year, my church puts on a huge production called Judgement House. It's basically a play, but each scene is in a seperate room of the church with seperate actors (the main characters ware identical costumes so you can recognize them). People move through the production in groups of around 10 to 15 people. Now, before these groups begin moving through the scenes, they wait in our gymnasiam (often for at least an hour and a half; that's just how busy things get). The gym is packed nearly all night, and I've been thinking that it would be the perfect opportunity to do some walkaround magic.

This job would be strictly voluntary, but I'd still like to do it (and yes, I've already checked to make sure such a thing would be allowed.) What I'd like to know is what you guys would suggest for as tricks that are generally good for something like this. Anything you think is worth mentioning would be appreciated. What have you had success with, what do you think would work, and so on.

Let me just say a few more things and I'll be through. First, I don't intend to actually do this job until next year (most likely, if not later), so don't think I'm going to rush into it. And second, I realize that magic is somthing that each magician looks at differently, and thus some tricks suit some more than others. Regardless, list anything that you think works well, and I'll go through the reccomendations and see what really suits me best. I'll still explore more on my own, but I'd like a little help (just because choosing the right effects from the vast library of tricks that magic has come to encompass can be a bit overwhelming for a beginner).

Many thanks,
- RealitysFugitive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:52 pm 
Emperor Penguin

It's always nice to see someone who wants to take the time and practice, and not saying "I've got a gig on X day, can you guys help?"

If I were wanting to do something like this, I would definitely bring:

-The Raven

-Stealth Pen

-Deck of cards

-Sharpie

-Self Tying Shoelace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:33 am 

Actually, all you need is a deck of cards (ungimmicked) and some coins, fifty cent pieces. You should be able to do a good 2 hours with just that. A good magician doesn't need a lot of gimmicked crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:20 am 
Penguin

I'm not in the Paddy school of thinking, I love gimmicks. However I do extensive work with non gaffed card and coin tricks. Impromptu card tricks where the first 6 years of my magic carrer.

But on to RealitysFugitive question.
Personally I do no church functions so I'm unsure what effects might not play well or others that can. Im sure you know this best as you attend the church.
The situation you described seems to me like a nice spot for a mini busking routine.
This is what I would do (in no particular order). Cups and Balls, Cut and Resored Rope, Signed card to impossible location (wallet, mouth, shoe, silk). Then a simple escape routine.

But thats me :-)

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:59 am 
Penguin

@ Adjones:

Thanks for the tips. I don't know why I didn't think of STS (I have it sitting in my room). I can see that working well. And I can see why the sharpie would be a must have as well. I've heard alot about the Raven and Stealth Pen, but I've never actually checked them out. I'll have to look into them.

@ Paddy:

Thanks for the comment. That's actually what I was thinking, just a bunch of great impromtu card/coin tricks to keep it as natural as possible. I recently purchased On the Spot, so I've got some great material there I plan to use.

@ Space_ghost15:

Thank you for the help. I do have a few gimmicked tricks I've considered using, but I'm still debating whether I'll incorporate them or not (Greed, for example). As for the Cups and Balls, I think it may confine me a little too much. The gym we have is pretty large, and I want to stay as moble as possible. I think keeping things small and in the spectators hands would be the most enjoyable for both them and myself.

@ Everybody:

I appreciate the advice I've gotten so far, and I'll take it all into more consideration as I continue to build up some ideas. But, I do have one more request. As I intend to do a lot of card/coin magic, could you guys list some of your favorite effects for a job like this? As I've said before, I know some tricks suit some more than others, so I'll still go through and see what fits me best. But for a guy like me, the huge library of tricks to choose from can be a bit intimidating without a little guidence. :)

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:04 pm 

You said
Quote:
As for the Cups and Balls, I think it may confine me a little too much. The gym we have is pretty large, and I want to stay as moble as possible. I

I use cups and balls or sometimes a chop cup routine when I'm busking all the time. In a big gym like this you could do a busking routine and either move it around or actually the crowds would come to you.

For busking my routine is a silk from thumb tip, a silk routine, then borrow a $20 (or a 5 or 10 if I can't get a person to give me a 20) then do an "accidental" vanish. After that I tell him "sorry so I'll do this just for you" then go into a chop cup ror a cups and balls outine with a fianl load of a lemon or a kiwi. When I show him the fruit I cut it open and there is his $20 bill.

Remember, the tricks don't have to be good, you just have to be entertaining when you perform them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:15 pm 
Penguin

@ Paddy: Moving the table around (or waiting for the crowd to come to me) was something I was thinking about when Space_ghost mentioned the cups and balls. I can see how the effect would work well in this situation, I'm just still not sure if I want to use it. Like I said, I'll take all the advice I've recieved so far into more consideration as I think about how to do this. I appreciate your comments, and thanks for the great idea with the lemons!

And I know what you mean about tricks not having to be good. I've had a lot of experience in that area. My older brother (who introduced me into magic) knew that magic was all about the atmosphere you create, and that any trick can be played up to be mind blowing. I can remember thinking that some of the tricks he taught me were stupid or too small, only to be blown away myself when he performed them. That whole idea is a big part of the reason why I love magic so much. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:19 pm 
Penguin

RealitysFugitive
Your well on your way to being a great entertainer.
Good luck and Cheers.

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:42 am 
Penguin

Location: Well I was thinking about it but, I like your moms house
adjones wrote:
It's always nice to see someone who wants to take the time and practice, and not saying "I've got a gig on X day, can you guys help?"

If I were wanting to do something like this, I would definitely bring:

-The Raven

-Stealth Pen

-Deck of cards

-Sharpie

-Self Tying Shoelace

Yes i agree but here are a few more good tricks to do

1.Brainwave
2.Pen through dollar
3.Gaff deck
4.Sponge Balls
5.Cardtoon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:51 am 
Emperor Penguin

Just remember that anything you do, needs an instant to almost instant reset. You do NOT want to be resetting effects all night in front of everyone, which is why you need to choose your gimmicks wisely.

The one Gimmick I would incorporate into any walkaround routine, is Alan Rorrison's Dont Loose Your Head. The reset is instant and actually self resetting everytime you do it, so it is perfect for a walkaround situation.

alanrorrison.com has it for free now I believe, plus he made a second, and better, version of this that is for sale now.

Good luck with your performance in a years time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:17 am 

So far you've gotten some great advice.

On thing though... Have you checked with your Church on this? Some are pretty restrictive on the magic thing. Biblical interpretation is a tricky thing. Magic is mentioned there, and it's not too favorable. We don't want to have to deal with another crucifixion :twisted:

I'm only slightly kidding. Some of the more steadfast church members, even if the church itself is okay with it, will think you're the devil himself.

I'm just saying, clear it with your pastor (minister, Rabbi, priest, whatever) first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:54 am 
Penguin

@ Space_Ghost: Thanks for the kind comments, you have no idea what they mean to me. ;)

@ Duke_Sewell: Thanks for the suggestions! I was actually thinking of sponge balls as well. They just seem to be the perfect trick in a case like this. It's one of those that will please spectators from any age group. I'll look into the other effects you mentioned.

@ Magikrn: I know what you mean about the quick reset. That's one of the reasons I was considering leaving Greed at home. While it doesn't have a really long reset, it can be hard to do in a situation like this (at least, in my opinion). I guess I could always slip into the bathroom to reset it if I really want to take it with me. :D. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at Rorrison's site as soon as I can.

@ DaveV: I've already checked to make sure this would be okay to do. I know what you mean about people taking it the wrong way though. I just recently read an essay on the subject (Hocus Pocus...There Goes Your Soul!, was the title; it's on the essay board if you're interested). Luckily, my church is one of those that's made up of reasonable people. They understand that these kind of things are meant for entertainment, and aren't from the devil. At least...the majority of people I've met there are. I suppose there's always that risk of running into the steadfast type of people no matter what church I perform for, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. Who knows, it might even give me some funny stories to tell.

---

Thanks again to everyone who's taken the time to reply to this. I really appreciate the kind words and continued suggestions. You have no idea how much this is helping. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:05 pm 
Penguin

GREAT ADVICE

Post subject: Little thoughts
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:25 am 
Penguin

How about this... thinking people are anticipating a play... How about coming around to introduce without spoilers the theme of the play? Judgement House... could you do something with an escapee trying to flee justice (inverted bodyguard sankey routine) or fisher's card trick...

Judgement House... you could totally do an ambitious card routine around that using a blank faced deck or 1 blank faced card... Then write the word justice or something (see what is fitting) and work around with that idea while doing an ambitious card routine.

Do some type of trick involving a 3 step phase with card with bars (prison) card chosen... and card chosen with bars... many ways to do that.

I know there is some good gospel magic around... somewhere... which involves at the same time a story and a magic trick. (card or no cards)

Some whacky idea :
make some kind of house (of justice)
^
/ \
|_| with cards
with a BIG opening in the middle... do a trick involving a mild story but something about justice always being right on target... make a "tunnel pass" (for details check "Hot Shot Color Changes" (volume 2?) showing that justice is always right...

thats all i could think of for now.

Have fun thinking. :)