View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Proposing to my GF, in need of a good trick
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:08 pm 
Penguin

Alright my fellow penguins, I need your help.

Soon I will be proposing to my girlfriend in front of friends and family on a cruise. I have this oversized ring I want to show at first (as a joke) and than exchange it for the real one. I know minimal sleight of hand but I'm gonna be really nervous as is.

So my question is, will the "Ring exchange" be a good one to use? Its $55 and I want to get opinions on it before I purchase.

The other prop I was thinking about is the vanishing ring hankerchief for $5-$10, ha-ha!

Help me please! Thanks Laughing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:14 pm 
Emperor Penguin

There was no reason to repost this.

your asking a group of mostly teens and pre-teens. Thats not some one who I would generally ask on something like this. They have no real idea.
But whatever flips your wig.

And there are some other topics on this subject, maybe look around.

Be creative, I wouldnt buy a new gimmick just for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:21 pm 
Penguin

Thanks buddy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:38 am 
Team Penguin

haha, "Just for this" ? you crack me up, David.

Post subject: Re: Proposing to my GF, in need of a good trick
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:16 am 
Emperor Penguin

fraggle_rok wrote:
Soon I will be proposing to my girlfriend in front of friends and family on a cruise.

I don't think turning your proposal into a magic show with a surprise ending of a proposal will be the most romantic.

Doing this in front of everyone isnt very fair to her. A proposal should never be a show to entertain everyone around you. It's a very special moment. Keep it special.

The show for friends and family is when you announce the engagement.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:52 pm 
born to perform.

I really really wouldn't do magic when proposing to her. To me thats like doing magic at the wedding too. I can see it now "here is the bride but where's the groom? (smoke comes up out of nowhere) "OMG!!!!! Where did he come from?!" Seriously though I don't think thats a good idea no matter how serious you are about magic or how much she seems to like it or anyone else.

Post subject: Don't...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:56 pm 
Penguin

I thought about doing something like using Raven (turning a quarter into a diamond ring) or forcing a card with "will you marry me?" written on it.

In the end, I did the classic "find a romantic place and drop to a knee" trick. Later I told her I was thinking about using magic and she said she was very happy I didn't.

If you want my advice, keep a proposal simple. No magic and even more importantly, no crowd. You can always use a magic trick to give her another gift somewhere down the line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:33 pm 

This has probably been mentioned but, Ring Exchange uses a gimmicked ring. It's not going to work the way you want. If you're serious about wanting to do it, learn some Spellbound moves or Catapult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:41 pm 
born to perform.

thecooltonto wrote:
I really really wouldn't do magic when proposing to her. To me thats like doing magic at the wedding too. I can see it now "here is the bride but where's the groom? (smoke comes up out of nowhere) "OMG!!!!! Where did he come from?!"

actually that would be badass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:38 pm 
born to perform.

You could use a ring box (that's see-through), made of glass, crystal or plastic. The cushion where the ring rests inside the box would need to be black velvet. Cut another piece of thin black velvet to cover-up the ring. Attach a small black ribbon to the piece of black velvet, which would hang just outside the right or left side of the ring box when closed. Show your "fiance to-be" the ring box, when looking through the clear lid, it will appear as if nothing is inside. Make your proposal and yank on the ribbon. This will cause the ring to make a sudden appearance inside the ring box. She'll hopefully, say...yes!

Note: You may have to lift the ring box lid slightlly for the extra piece of velvet to come out cleanly. Another touch: Attach the extra piece of black velvet to a reel and then attach the reel inside your jacket. When the reveal happens, you are virtually left clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:53 pm 
born to perform.

cardini3 wrote:
thecooltonto wrote:
I really really wouldn't do magic when proposing to her. To me thats like doing magic at the wedding too. I can see it now "here is the bride but where's the groom? (smoke comes up out of nowhere) "OMG!!!!! Where did he come from?!"

actually that would be badass

LOL that would be kickass LOL im going to do that LOL (just joking)

lol

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:50 pm 
born to perform.

I got a better idea: lets revive month-old topics for no reason but to say something is badass. it'll be fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:56 pm 
Emperor Penguin

bucky310 wrote:
I got a better idea: lets revive month-old topics for no reason but to say something is badass. it'll be fun.

You forgot saying LOL 3 times in an otherwise 11 word sentence. I hate it when people use IM talk on these forums. I really don't mind it in IM, but you're supposed to type properly on these forums.