View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:23 am 

Pookie wrote :"I agree {with fallingblood} but encouragement is nice."

Yes encouragement would be nice, however we are dealing with 13 year old kids, and what they hear is not encouragement and a push to study more. They will take the words as a permission to go ahead and start to do tricks. Even though their proficiency is non existent and their showmanship is even less so.

That's the problem with this forum. People don't want to hear, nor will they listen to the truth. Magic is very simple, the showmanship and presentation take a long time to learn, and it is the most important thing in magic. Anybody can do do things like invisible deck, but it takes a magician to make it interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:49 am 
Penguin

The best advice I can give someone is to go see a real working pro in your area doing what ever type of magic you are trying to get into.

As posted before I worked on my Kids Show for a long time. Practice and mock performance. I thought I was golden. Then I went and saw a Real Performer and I knew that I had a long way to go. I scrapped a bunch of what I thought was good and retooled the show and only then did I know that what I was going to give them was worth ANY money and their time. I now have a kids show that I'm not only very proud off but also is becoming (slowly) 100 percent mine and not just marketed effects.

The same thing happened with my restaurant walk around. I did tricks for a while. That’s it. One trick, then another, then another. But I studied actual performers (not the effects but effect selection, approach to a table, body language, the way they spoke, the way they left the table, the way they switched up their routines because the table was liking something else more, their recovery when a trick or joke bombed, so there was a lot of studying going on there) and saw the right way to work a table. Engage them, laugh with them. Talk and have fun. Sometimes you don't even do a magic trick. I then reworked and reworked and reworked my routine. Now I have 3 different routines for the tables that I am very proud off. I don’t mind posting them because you can use my routines but you will never be me. That’s the fun of magic, taking effects and making them your own. Here’s the list (these are not set in stone and sometimes some effects will be dropped and replaced but the core stays the same. That’s Chicago Opener, Chop Cup, Card to Wallet, Multiplying Sponge Bunnies, Matrix, John Daley’s Aces)

Routine 1: General Routine that works for near every table
Chicago Opener
John Daley’s Aces
Matrix
Coins Across
Chop Cup Routine

Routine 2: A change up that I do for people who have seen me before or just a switch up)
Your Name Here
Triumph
5 to 1 Transpo (yup I use a Penguin effect)
Guaranteed
Either Card to Wallet or Airtight

Routine 3: I do this one for tables with predominately little kids.
Multiplying Sponge Bunnies
Win a Prize (created effect by me Adam)
Sealed with a Kiss (modified Cyril effect, so modified I’m claiming it my own lol)
Card-Toon 1 or 2
Chop Cup Routine

Another long post sorry
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:22 pm 
born to perform.

It sounds like you use some table space have you ever had any problems with that?

Post subject: Re: Routines
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:32 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
flight2 wrote:
Table w/ adults

1. jacked up
2. My ACR with Indecent as an ending
3. gold coin box
4. bill in orange

How many tables do you plan on doing in an evening?
And where will you carry all these oranges?
And how much time do you think you will need in preparing the oranges? (unless you have a gimmick-knife, but then the effect isn't as good and the knife will become sticky after a few times)
How will you clean the knife after each performance? and where will you carry it?
How will you dispose of the oranges at each table after cutting them open to show where the dollar note is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:40 am 
Penguin

Pookie,
Not usually. I do use a quarter size close up pad for the matrix routine but that’s it. If there is no space at the table then I don't put the mat down and I do all in hands magic, with card to wallet replacing chop cup as my final effect.
But really matrix is my only trick that needs the mat I just like having it down so I don't ruin cards (as much), I can ribbon spread and it provides a sort of stage for the effects.

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:57 pm 
born to perform.

space_ghost15 wrote:
Pookie,
Not usually. I do use a quarter size close up pad for the matrix routine but that’s it. If there is no space at the table then I don't put the mat down and I do all in hands magic, with card to wallet replacing chop cup as my final effect.
But really matrix is my only trick that needs the mat I just like having it down so I don't ruin cards (as much), I can ribbon spread and it provides a sort of stage for the effects.

Adam

Thanks because I was wondering wether I should use a pad or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:06 pm 
born to perform.

my dad ordered me live at the jailhouse
hopeffully that will help

Post subject: Routine
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:33 pm 
Penguin

Location: Well I was thinking about it but, I like your moms house
I think sponge balls are great for all ages.
Your routines seem ok I have seen you do some stuff on Youtube and sound ok.
Ignore these guys.
Just remeber when doing resturant magic you may get turned down at some tables dont let the discourage you
I think you should try restaurant work.
You would be great and you are a wonderfu; magician. I would definetely hire you.

Remeber: Sponge Balls rule!!!!

Post subject: Routine
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:39 pm 
Penguin

Location: Well I was thinking about it but, I like your moms house
Oh and by the way Live at the Jailhouse, is a great movie and it should help you out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:59 pm 
born to perform.

Yes except the real Jailhouse resturant where it was filmed just closed.Im not sure if its permanant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:15 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Duke_sewell wrote:
I think sponge balls are great for all ages.
Your routines seem ok I have seen you do some stuff on Youtube and sound ok.
Ignore these guys.
Just remeber when doing resturant magic you may get turned down at some tables dont let the discourage you
I think you should try restaurant work.
You would be great and you are a wonderfu; magician. I would definetely hire you.

Remeber: Sponge Balls rule!!!!
How long have you been doing magic? From this post, I would assume not for long. First, this kid is around 13 years old. Meaning? He can't legally be hired at a restaurant. So he shouldn't try restaurant magic, as he simply can't be hired.

Second of all, he didn't even have routines down. Say he was able to work at a restaurant, and he went in knowing what he does now (which I'm not trying to be mean, but he doesn't know what he's doing), he will be chewed up and spit out. Which means he would quickly be fired. Which means, his reputation is tarnished.

We aren't here to cuddle the young magicians. If we did so, we would be irresponsible. By telling them the truth, they will be able to grow more. If you feed them with lies, well, they will go no where, and they will put on horrible shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:22 pm 
born to perform.

i want 2 work for tips

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:32 pm 
Emperor Penguin

flight2 wrote:
i want 2 work for tips
There are some problems with that. First, you are still 13. Your first obstacle is to get management to allow it. And basically, they would have to hire you. Meaning, you legally can't work there. Even if you are working for just tips, you will most likely have to be hired by the establishment.

If you some how are allowed to work for just tips, you have to overcome your age. The simple truth is people are going to look at you differently, then say if you were an adult. They will be less willing to deal with you.

Also with your age, you simply are not mature enough to handle many of the situations that will come up. I don't care how mature you think you are, the simple fact is, there will be situations that come up, that you simply would be able to deal with because of your maturity level. Meaning, you will quickly be asked to leave and stop performing.

Why don't you just take the advice given to you, and wait until you legally can work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:18 pm 

flight2 wrote:
i want 2 work for tips

Good, Please start as soon as you can get a gig. However, I am going to predict taht you will last about one night. Then either you will get some lady angry at you because you are in way over your head and have no idea about audience control. Or the second reason is that you will be flashing so much the "Cute little kid" effect will be over. Listen to what everyone is saying and avoid embarassing yoursef and failing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:51 pm 
Penguin

flight2 wrote:
first off
i have practiced my effects so much that I do not flash anymore
I ordered Live at the Jailhouse so I will learn a lot
when i get hired im gonna come here and laugh at all u jerks for thinking i wouldnt

u can kepp thinkin that
yall arent the best
even though you think that

First off you are never going to get hired even if you do your not ready for the world. Just take the advice dont take it as everybody is baggin on you. You are young and nothing can change that I work at a restaurant and trust me people can and will be rude would you know what to do? chances are no, just stick to practicing until you can do it in your sleep. Learn everything you can and learn to take constructive criticism. Just some advice 8)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next