View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ok im going to ask for a job
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:10 am 
Penguin

im 16 and am going to ask for a job at the local coffee house where everyone goes on saturday nights. ive been doing magic for a year practicing every sleight i can get my hands on. not only have i practice the sleights but i have made a few of my own tricks that use gimmiks and sleights.... ive practiced my peformance too on friends and class mates and had become popular amoung them to the point everyone at the school knew my name... so you guys think i have enough exp.? and how should i go about asking for a job in magic at the place? should i ask for the manager show him some stuff and go to a few tables to show off my skills?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:24 am 
born to perform.

When you are looking for a restaurant magic job I suggest these things:

-Do not show the manager any tricks the first time you meet him. Bring one of your most powerful tricks though, if he asks to see something, you'll be ready.
-Ask him if you can come in on Saturday night and do some magic for tables without pay or tips. This is sort of like a trial period.
-When talking to a manager or even a waiter/waitress who works at the place, use proper grammar and be polite. Shake the managers hand when you two meet and explain why you are there.
-On your first meeting, do not talk about the money part of it, just discuss what you will be doing if you did have the job.

These are some things that I feel are important and I hope you will consider them.

As for your experience question, I think you are ready. As you said, everyone at school knows your name and takes you seriously. As long as you are confident, your moves are smooth and flawless, and you really want it, you should be fine.

Brucelee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:31 am 
Penguin

i dont really know any kid stuff but i know alot of teen to adult stuff. but what would you recomend in a routine? mentalism, cards, coins?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:03 pm 
born to perform.

For me I use coins and cards, and some times metal. But most of the time I use coins and cards and 2-3 gimmicks like hot rode because you can get loads of tricks with cards, and coins.

-MagicTay

Good luck by the way, im turning 16 this aguest, and there 2 NEW restaurants opening, TGI fridays and chilles so im hoping i can get a job at one of the two place's =D

if you dont have Live at the jailhouse get it soon as possible its perfect!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:22 pm 
Penguin

k ty guys but one last question... i have yet to run into this problem but if someone asks to see a trick that requires a set up twice like the sts what do you say?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:39 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Before you considering doing this, get Live at the Jailhouse. It's well worth the investment, and will tell you what you need to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:49 pm 
born to perform.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=124773

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:55 pm 
Penguin

In resturany magic you dont have ti be scared if you work there because they are feeling fine if your walk up to them and it says you work there. they are more comfortible and you should be too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:12 pm 
Penguin

i would get it but my parents wont let me spend $70 on magic she says its a waste of money

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:52 pm 
born to perform.

mbl16 wrote:
i would get it but my mommy won't let me spend $63(unless you don't have a code) on magic she says its a waste of money

That's the kind of response that shows your not ready to work a magic job.

Questions:

1) How long have you been doing magic?

mbl16's answer :1 year

2) Have you ever considered volunteering and doing magic at a hospital or other such outlet?

mbl16's answer(correct me if I'm wrong): Probably not.

3) (Unless your freaking practicing 5-8 hours a day I don't think your ready)Do you practice that much?

mbl16's answer: nope

4) Is your Frontal Lobe fully developed?

mbl16's answer: No pookie it is a only a 1/2 capacity of what it will be 5 years from now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:27 pm 
Penguin

ok look who ever you are im a decent magician im not saying im great but i am good. ive bought tons of stuff off this site but i dont have a credit card to buy the stuff myself so i must ask my mom... if it wasnt for that i would have already got what i needed.

and i doubt you practice 5-8 hours a day you would have no life and yes i vollunteered for school functions, ophanages, and senior citizen homes... so dont say i dont have enough exp

oh this just popped in my head i have about 2-3 months of exp with escapes you think they will allow that even though im 16?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:43 pm 
born to perform.

mbl16 wrote:
ok look who ever you are im a decent magician im not saying im great but i am good. ive bought tons of stuff off this site but i dont have a credit card to buy the stuff myself so i must ask my mom... Or you could get a money order. Oh wait your smart enough to figure out how to use one I did when I was 11 Thats how I secretly ordered Mark Wilsons Encyclopedia of Magic without having to deal with Mom and Pop if it wasnt for that i would have already got what i needed.

and i doubt you practice 5-8 hours a day you would have no life and yes i vollunteered for school functions, ophanages, and senior citizen homes... so dont say i dont have enough exp I said that in order to obtain technical compitance for a paying job in a year that is how much you would have to practice I only practice 3-4 hours a day technical slights and the rest is revamping patter or reading on theory so if you count that then I do practice 5-8 hours a day

oh this just popped in my head i have about 2-3 months of exp with escapes you think they will allow that even though im 16?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:25 pm 
born to perform.

mbl16 wrote:
i would get it but my parents wont let me spend $70 on magic she says its a waste of money

If you cant get this dvd you arent ready to go into Restaurant magic because there are all kinds of things that can happen at a restaurant, you just dont just go in and perform there is more to it which is on the dvd.

Get the dvd first then watch it, study it and pratice then you will be ready.

I just bought the dvd 3 weeks ago and watched it over 20 times and still learning things I had no clue that were in Restaurants.

You aren't ready on 2 reasons, if you cant spend $63 dollars on a guilde then how are you going to beable to buy more magic for 3-4 sets of tricks for restaurants, and you dont know whats all going to be going on in a restauant magic.

Like let me ask you a question:

If there is a guy that is touching your things what do you do?

or

If the food comes during a trick what do you do?

(these questions are to mbl16 only please dont answer for him)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:35 pm 
Penguin

I ask the manager if i can do a free nights magic at their resteraunt/barm and then if he wants to hire me than he/shes can.

I don't know about where your from but here in australia resteraunts and bars welcome walking entertainers to attract attention to their venue, and i get tips so it is a win win situation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:41 pm 
Penguin

Quote:
If there is a guy that is touching your things what do you do?

I have that all the time i simply say depending on if its examinable or not i say you can touch it aslong as you dont steal it i keep everything in my pocket. If somethings not examinable i try to do those tricks last.

Quote:
If the food comes during a trick what do you do?

I would leave if i am just starting the trick and if I am almost done with it i will leave unless they ask me to finish it.

thats what i would do