View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A Tip With Hecklers!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:24 pm 
Penguin

Hey Guys, I cant remember exactly where I heard this from however this is a great bit of advice.

If you have a person who is making it very difficult to perform, and is just messing the overall experience for you and the rest of the group here is what you do.

After doing some effects showing them that you are infact a good magician, turn to the heckler and give him an index card say this

" Take this index card, and write down someone special to you"
Give him a pen

" Go where we cant see you, and you can't see us just so I cant cheat"

" Once you find a place, write down the person special. I will call you back when I feel the connection “
" Only then do you come back, when I call you ……go now"

As he walks away, you wait till he disappears from view and is no longer in site. From their you simply go on performing, and never call him back. That pretty much solves the heckler problem, you can now continue on without that annoying heckler. Make sure you perform a few more effects then leave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:37 pm 

this is not a good way to deal with hecklers, you don't want to alienate anyone.

ESPECIALLY if you are working professionally.

if you are a professional you need to take care of them as any professional would, and that's not dignify them with a response allowing others to see he is being a jerk, the problem should get sorted without you doing anything. if need be say something polite to him and others will then get on the heckler's case.

if that doesn't work then who knows, all hecklers want is attention, maybe they have a joke to tell, get them in on everything, pick on them a little, give them something to do that puts the spotlight on them (which is what they want) then they should shape up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:02 pm 
Penguin

Location: Well I was thinking about it but, I like your moms house
bravesaint wrote:
this is not a good way to deal with hecklers, you don't want to alienate anyone.

ESPECIALLY if you are working professionally.

if you are a professional you need to take care of them as any professional would, and that's not dignify them with a response allowing others to see he is being a jerk, the problem should get sorted without you doing anything. if need be say something polite to him and others will then get on the heckler's case.

if that doesn't work then who knows, all hecklers want is attention, maybe they have a joke to tell, get them in on everything, pick on them a little, give them something to do that puts the spotlight on them (which is what they want) then they should shape up.

I totally agree
But if nobody does do anything about him just ask him to leave or just ignore him

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:08 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Thought I'd post the 5 steps to dealing with a heckler:

1. Acknowledge the heckler.

2. Ignore the heckler.

3. Out-heckle the heckler.

4. Educate the audience that you can't perform with the heckler around.

5. Have heckler removed.

Post subject: Re: A Tip With Hecklers!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:26 am 
born to perform.

francis_mcallister wrote:
Hey Guys, I cant remember exactly where I heard this from however this is a great bit of advice.

If you have a person who is making it very difficult to perform, and is just messing the overall experience for you and the rest of the group here is what you do.

After doing some effects showing them that you are infact a good magician, turn to the heckler and give him an index card say this

Give him a pen

" Once you find a place, write down the person special. I will call you back when I feel the connection “

As he walks away, you wait till he disappears from view and is no longer in site. From their you simply go on performing, and never call him back. That pretty much solves the heckler problem, you can now continue on without that annoying heckler. Make sure you perform a few more effects then leave.

LOL, thats awesome...wouldnt do it at a paid performance though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:33 pm 
Penguin

revelation77 wrote:

Give him a pen

i would agree with revelation that it is a funny and OK way to get rid but if your being paid, you may want to find something else especially if the heckler is the person paying you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm 
Penguin

Redbomb wrote:
revelation77 wrote:

Give him a pen

i would agree with revelation that it is a funny and OK way to get rid but if your being paid, you may want to find something else especially if the heckler is the person paying you.

Although I don't do paid performances, if you were, I think his approach just fine. It is funny, will take the heat off for a while, even if they return a bit embarassed, but people watching (which is usually where my seat is), don't enjoy hecklers either, and they'll probably enjoy seeing the heckler being put on the spot. I see no problem as usually someone who pays to see magic silencing a heckler that way. :oops: