View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

did u learn stuff?
ya 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
nopeee 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:49 pm 
born to perform.

I do remember hearing about that. Didn't they have several big name magicians when they did it each year? I remember seeing a video on Houdini on the History channel and it showed them performing it, seeing if Houdini could pull off the most dificult escape ever. The escape from death. Thats what they said it was for anyway. I thought it was pretty cool

-Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:42 pm 
born to perform.

Yeah every year on halloween (his death date).

Post subject: Re: Houdini esay
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:04 pm 
born to perform.

theMagicmaker wrote:
here you go, I wrote an essay on Houndini, this is not my 12 page report on the history of magic

Harry Houdini’s real name was Ehrich. Houdini claimed that he was born in Appleton, Minnesota. But the truth wasn’t discovered until the day he died, October 31, 1936. Houdini had many nick names, he called himself the King of Cards, then the King of Handcuffs, and many, many more. He also performed seances, where he would speak with the dead.
One of Houdini’s greatest tircks is his chinese water tank escape. He would fill a big tank up with water, get in his swim suit, and get in upside down! The tank is very tight, made just for him, then his feet would be shackled in. A padlock was put on the top door to secure him in. A curtain was drawn around him so no one could see what he was doing. People waited and assistants had axes at the ready just in case. Then out pops Houndini drenched and tired. Everyone cheers!
On my diorama the handcuffs represent all of his other amazing escapes. For example, during each and every one of his shows there would usually be someone who brought their own handcuffs, they claimed them to be inescapable. Houdini puts them on and then has them right off in a minute!
Another handcuff moment was when Houdini was stripped naked, searched, and checked, then put in a jail cell. His clothes were put in another cell, the people left then room. Seconds later he is out, not only had he released himself from the cell, he also released the other inmates! The police were not happy, but Houdini’s career sky rocketed! From there on Houdini escaped from rivers, made elephants vanish, walked through walls, took punches, swallowed needles, summoned ghosts, and made silver dollars appear from thin air.
One day a young boxer asked Houdini if he could really get punched in the stomach and take it. Houdini replied yes, so he threw not one but four punches. Houdini was unaffected at the time, but after a day he felt a little sick. It got worse over the next two days, the doctor told him his appendix was going to explode and he had appendicitis. Houdini refused to stop his show. It was a short show he could only do the needle trick and silver dollar, not water torture, or handcuffs. After that Houdini rushed to the hospital. They successfully removed it but they were too late. Houdini died on Halloween, 1936.
I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was interesting and factual. The theme was biography and story. It felt like a story it was so exiting. I hope you learned a couple things about Houdini.

hope you liked it

Actually he claimed to be born in Appleton Wisconsin, my home town.

Post subject: Re: Houdini esay
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:25 pm 

coendog13 wrote:
Actually he claimed to be born in Appleton Wisconsin, my home town.

He lied.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:59 pm 
Emperor Penguin

There are many errors in your essay. Some of them were already pointed out. For example, the year of his death. Also, on the day he died, it's not like the fact came to light that he was born in Budapest. It wasn't until awhile after he died that it came to light.

Also, he never spoke with the dead. He was very against the idea. During the early years of his career, he did experiement with that type of show, but he fully knew that what he was doing was a trick. But it didn't last long, as I believe he felt wrong doing it. In the later part of his life, I do believe he did mock seances. Which were basically exposing the frauds.

Houdini wasn't able to get out of all handcuffs in a minute. I remember reading one story, from early on in his career, that someone poured buck shot into a pair of handcuffs, and Houdini ended up having to have them sawed off. Also, there was the Mirror Handcuff Challenge, that ended up taking quite a bit of time (now it's thought that it was nothing more than a publicity stunt, and that he had the commissioned the handcuffs to be made, but still, it was quite a time that it took for him to get out of them).

Finally (I'm not saying that this is the final error, but the last one I feel like discussing), it's highly doubtful that he died from the punches to his stomach. It is more likely that he was already suffering before hand, but he was a very stubborn person. Also, he was affected at the time of the blows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:03 am 
Penguin

It’s amusing how many people here are certain ONLY THEY have the real facts on this man who died almost a century ago.

I thought it was a good essay. Don’t listen to them. They’re only trying to look smart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:26 pm 
Emperor Penguin

bhindthecurtin wrote:
It’s amusing how many people here are certain ONLY THEY have the real facts on this man who died almost a century ago.

I thought it was a good essay. Don’t listen to them. They’re only trying to look smart.
No, we are trying to point out the various flaws in the paper. If you think everything he wrote in his essay is correct, then I suggest you pick up a book on Houdini. Some of the stuff that is in the essay are wrong by all accounts. For instance, where he claimed to have been born. It was not Minnesota. It was Wisconsin. It's a agreed upon fact. I don't know anyone who would disagree with that. That's just one instance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:48 pm 
Penguin

Magikrn said that Houdini was poisoned. Most say that that is incorrect but there is evidence for the theory. His biggest medium that he exposed was a women who went the name of medium Margret. Her husband was a surgeon who worked primarily on the stomach. when Margret was exposed her husband was furious. He hated Houdini. That is a decent motive if you ask me. Also Margret's husband had been adopting orphans who kept dispearing. If you find this info misleading keep in mind that i just heard it on the radio and decided to tell you guys. :lol: