View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A note for paddy.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:35 pm 
born to perform.

Hey Paddy.

I wanted to write this as an exclusive note to you.

I am sure you remember the time I asked you for advice on my New Year's gig.

Here is my view: I believe that it was a good choice on my part to do the show (bare with me) but not because I thought I was the best.

I think that the first real or semi-real gig a young magician gets should be used to reflect, and gain experience. I look back on it now and realize how much I learned.

My belief is that the first experience should be had as a "youngling" (as wildheart would say) and it should be for reflection (like I stated earlier).

What I also would like to say is that in my opinion, non-payed performances should be opportunities for young magicians to gain performing experience to be used in the "real world".

The overall subjects that I wanted to convey here are these:

~I am working harder now to become a good PRESENTER and PERFORMER rather than a good pair of hands.

~I now look back and realize your posts are what made me "grow up" and confront the fact that that I need to buckle down and get my magic life straightened out.

~Finally, I know that I sound as if the New Year's party was years ago, but I feel that your advice and stern, blunt way of giving advice (not "baby-ing" me) has started a change in my performing maturity, which is not complete, but is beginning to make me a better magician little-by-little.

I am now reading more books, and am working through the last half of Designing Miracles (in which I must have marked at least 100 important things to remember and apply) and I will soon read Strong Magic too.

Respond if you feel the need, and thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:53 pm 
Emperor Penguin

If they was directed personally to Paddy, it should probably have been sent as a PM. However, I hope it doesn't get locked, because even though, it should have been a PM, it points out some good information.

Paddy does have a tendency to come off as rough. However, his advice is great. He knows what he's talking about. And that's something that you point out (in different words, but same basics) that many people need to realize. Even if the advice is harsh, or seems rude, that doesn't mean it is. And it's probably that advice, that one should listen to.

I personally really liked your post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:10 pm 
born to perform.

Yeah. I realized I should have sent it as a pm, so I will use Copy and Paste to it's full potential!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:47 pm 

I see it as an "open letter," directed to one person, but beneficial to many.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:50 pm 
born to perform.

Yeah, that's more or less what I was going for.

People: Listen to paddy.

There; now it's for all the people here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:39 pm 

I sent you a PM but will also say in public. Thank you for lettring me know that I really do some good. Yes I am blunt. Sometimes that bluntness is taken as an insult. I never intend to insult of belittle anyone. However, I too, believe it or not, was at one time your age. And I remember how I never listened to anyone and leaarned the hard way.

I am just trying to help others so THEY don't have to be as stupid as I was then.

Again, Thanks.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:31 pm 
born to perform.

Thank you for responding.