View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: **IMPORANT NEWS**
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:05 pm 
born to perform.

I just aruged about a hour or two hours with my parents about if it's Age or something else.

I figured out its not the age, its when and where you are performing at.
It's the atmophere the spectators are in. If the spectators are in a Restaurant, they feel relaxed and to have fun, this is when you get GOOD reactions. They feel relaxed and they aren't focused on anything else, like bills to pay or to clean the house. They are focused on you doing magic.

When not to do magic is when they are thinking about other things than magic. Like at home, when your parents are focused on getting ready for the next day, or when they are talking about beuniess.

So like I said IT IS NOT THE AGE, its just the atmostphere you are in, say like movies or at dinnner with your families, When your specators are relaxed is the perfect time to perform and get great reactions not when they are thinking about other things to do around the house or something alike that.

I hope this helps you all for the final time. I have been aguring with my parents about this for weeks and I finaly got some good things about this topic.

Thanks for reading this and hope it helps.

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:13 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I agree, age does not matter... to a certain extent. I think you should be at least 14 to do restaurant. I wouldn't want to see some 12 year old going table to table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:14 pm 
Emperor Penguin

So are you saying that it doesn't matter how old you are, you can perform in a restaurant? Or that the audience's age doesn't matter? Because, as far as I'm concerned, your wrong on both accounts.

First, age does matter, if you're the one performing. The simple truth is that with age, comes maturity (for the most part, it's not always true though). You also have more life experience. Which means quite a bit. Finally, people will look at you differently. If I was an 8 year old boy, performing magic, it doesn't matter how good I was, there is still a stereotype. People are going to think what I'm doing is cute. That's life. Now, being older, it's looked at differently. It's not seen as cute anymore. However, new problems arise. Like, a jealous boyfriend, or husband. And yes, that does happen. It's nature. So age does matter.

The age of the audience also matters. It doesn't matter how relaxed they are. Kids are going to like a different type of magic. Adults will like a different type of magic. The elderly will like a different type of magic. Age does mean alot.

The fact is, age matters. You can try to convince yourself otherwise, and you may be happy with that. But that doesn't change the truth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:16 pm 
born to perform.

fallingblood wrote:
So are you saying that it doesn't matter how old you are, you can perform in a restaurant? Or that the audience's age doesn't matter? Because, as far as I'm concerned, your wrong on both accounts.

First, age does matter, if you're the one performing. The simple truth is that with age, comes maturity (for the most part, it's not always true though). You also have more life experience. Which means quite a bit. Finally, people will look at you differently. If I was an 8 year old boy, performing magic, it doesn't matter how good I was, there is still a stereotype. People are going to think what I'm doing is cute. That's life. Now, being older, it's looked at differently. It's not seen as cute anymore. However, new problems arise. Like, a jealous boyfriend, or husband. And yes, that does happen. It's nature. So age does matter.

The age of the audience also matters. It doesn't matter how relaxed they are. Kids are going to like a different type of magic. Adults will like a different type of magic. The elderly will like a different type of magic. Age does mean alot.

The fact is, age matters. You can try to convince yourself otherwise, and you may be happy with that. But that doesn't change the truth.

I see your point but your putting that into Restaurant magic, but you are totally right fallen. But if you want great reactions read what I put again. But you cant just be a 8 year old boy doing restaurant magic, but if you want to go into street or whatever and get great reactions its when to perform your tricks, [But age does matter to getting JOBS! not getting good reactions thats what im mostly talking about to get great reactions[/b]

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:20 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
Gonna have to disagree with you on several points:

1) It is about the age. If you are not of the legal working age, then you are not legally able to work in a taxable wage position. This does not include areas such as lawn care, babysitting, or dog walking for the neighbors.

1a) Restaurants and theaters have to think about liability, and their customer base. Do you have insurance? If not, will the restaurant cover you if you damage something, or god forbid, someone? What if you insult a customer, either on purpose or accidentally? Are you prepared for the backlash when the restaurant owner/manager blames you specifically for the person walking out without paying because an employee was rude/immature? You could cost them that customer, plus countless others from negative publicity.

1b) Situations. I have yet to meet a 12-15 year old who is mature enough to handle many situations that arise in performance situations? I won't go into detail about what those are.

2) Experience. Sorry. I'm not going to hire a child to entertain me,my children, or my customers. End of story. I really don't care if they are David Copperfield reincarnated. You are a child, and I'm not going to hire you. Period.

3) Maturity. 'Nuff said. You just told us you argued with your parents about this for two hours. A child who argues with their parents over things that the parents could be held liable for does not seem, to me, to be exhibiting a level of maturity that is professional level.

I will agree that when not to do magic is when your spectators are thinking about other things. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone wants to see a trick when you want to show them one.

Just my two cents and 20 years worth. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:20 pm 
born to perform.

I think the way to sum this argument up would be:

Age doesn't matter when you're talking about DOING the magic, but it does matter in terms of PRESENTING and PERFORMING the magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:31 pm 
born to perform.

listen closely... you all arent getting it...

heres an exaple: A magician age 10 shows a 8 year old a trick, the 8 year old is SUPER amaezed. When the same magician shows a 30 year old a trick he doesn't get the same reactions, he gets a reaction like a cool, and then the 30 year old goes back to talking.

This is what im trying to do.

Please reread now that you know what this topic is about sorry for the disreasoning.

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:33 pm 
born to perform.

Well the point of my post was from the point of the magician.

The audience age matters too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:43 pm 

thegenius3232 wrote:
listen closely... you all arent getting it...

heres an exaple: A magician age 10 shows a 8 year old a trick, the 8 year old is SUPER amaezed. When the same magician shows a 30 year old a trick he doesn't get the same reactions, he gets a reaction like a cool, and then the 30 year old goes back to talking.

This is what im trying to do.

Please reread now that you know what this topic is about sorry for the disreasoning.

-MagicTay

You just proved that age DOES matter. You said so yourself. It matters when you're young. Typically, the people who think age doesn't matter are the ones who are too young to see that it does. As you get older the age thing changes and it won't matter anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:15 am 
born to perform.

thegenius, why do you say age doesn't matter? What experience do you have that will allow you to draw that conclusion? I can tell you from my years of experience that age matters in getting reactions...and your example of the 8 year old and the 30 year old proved it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:22 am 
born to perform.

Streetwolf wrote:
thegenius, why do you say age doesn't matter? What experience do you have that will allow you to draw that conclusion? I can tell you from my years of experience that age matters in getting reactions...and your example of the 8 year old and the 30 year old proved it.

how does it prove it? When you show a little kid (younger than you are) and he is super amazed, but then you go show an adult (older than you) and his reactions aren't the same. It's because not of age, but of when and where you are performing. (the audince need's to be in a relaxed envoroment to get great reactons)

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:18 pm 

You just proved it again. If age didn't matter, the reactions would have been the same.

Age is a determining factor on both sides of the equation. You have to tailor your presentation to take into account not only your own age, but the age of your audience as well.

On the age of your audience:
You can't treat a child like an adult, they won't understand.
"I've demolecularized the coin and it's molecules have teleported through space and time to reappear behind your ear"
You'd do much better with, "Look! It's gone! Where did it go? I know, it's behind your ear!!"

You also can't treat an adult like a child, it would be insulting. Try the line above and you'll know what I mean.

On acting your age compared to the audience:
You can't act like an adult to other adults who know better, they'll see right through you.

"When I was studying under a Grand Master in Tibet..."
BULL! And they know it. Your credibility is destroyed and you'll be treated accordingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:25 pm 
born to perform.

then if I was an adult, and showed another adult the reacions would be good, but if I was younger than the person say a 10 year old and im 7 then it wouldn't be so amazing for the 10 year old.

Age doesn't matter for your reactions, but does matter for your performance.

This hole post is about getting best reactions out of people who are older than you.

-MagicTay

P.S.~

If I am wrong then how can you get great reactions out of an adult whos older than you are.

I know:
1. Do good performing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:39 pm 

thegenius3232 wrote:
1. Do good performing

That's one part. Here's another part:
Tailor your performance and presentation to fit you AND your audience.

I think you're on the right track, but you said it wrong. "Age Matters" or "Age Doesn't Matter" isn't really the topic being discussed here. It's like you said, it's about getting best reactions out of people older than you. That will depend A LOT on their perception of you, as well as your choice of material (which, since you're younger than them, will have to do with age as I outlined above)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:59 pm 

DaveV, Streetwolf, cameronb, and all you other guys. You are caught in the classic example of having a battle of wits. But you opponet (the "genius") is only half armed. Just give up guys you can't win when he is as half witted as that.