View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:19 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 18 May 2006
Posts: 1784
I disagree with you too.


Age matters.

A 50 year old magician will have a lot more going on than a 13 year old magician on lots of levels, these are some:

1. Experience/ Skill

The older magician will beat the younger magician in skill, or they should.

2. Respect

An older magician will get more respect than a younger magician by people, and be seen as more talented.

3. Getting a gig/ better pay

Older magicians will be taken more seriously than younger ones, and will therefore have more confidence invested in them by managers than kids would.


So, until you are what people call a young adult, I don't think you have any business doing magic at any eating establishments other than your home, or your relatives's and friends's homes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:25 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 08 Jan 2007
Posts: 665
Location: A box next to wal-mart
...oh my gosh.. listen carrfuly please to this message


This is all about getting great reactions not about performing


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:59 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Posts: 6622
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
thegenius3232 wrote:
...oh my gosh.. listen carrfuly please to this message


This is all about getting great reactions not about performing
Then listen to this carefully. Age matters when getting great reactions. If I'm 10 years old, the reactions I get are not going to be as good if I was older. This has many reasons behind it. The biggest reason, people look at 10 year olds differently. That's life. You can't change it. They can perform some of the greatest magic ever, however, they will still be seen as a kid. And they will be seen as cute.

Also, a 10 year old simply won't be able to pull of some effects. Mentalism is a lot harder for younger people to pull off. Banachek even admits this. That's just a fact. You can argue with it as much as you want, but it doesn't change the truth.

You're still young, and you only see this issue from one perspective. You haven't been out there performing long enough to know that age matters. With age, comes expeirence, skill, and respect. That's a fact of life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:46 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Posts: 7922
Location: Parkville, MO
thecooltonto wrote:
I disagree with you too.


Age matters.

A 50 year old magician will have a lot more going on than a 13 year old magician on lots of levels, these are some:

1. Experience/ Skill

The older magician will beat the younger magician in skill, or they should.

2. Respect

An older magician will get more respect than a younger magician by people, and be seen as more talented.

3. Getting a gig/ better pay

Older magicians will be taken more seriously than younger ones, and will therefore have more confidence invested in them by managers than kids would.


So, until you are what people call a young adult, I don't think you have any business doing magic at any eating establishments other than your home, or your relatives's and friends's homes.


I agree with you... except for number one. Just because the magician is older, doesn't mean they should have more skill. A thirteen year old who has been practicing and performing for three years is probably going to have more skill than a fifty year old who is just starting out. I'm pretty sure you meant a fifty year old magician who has been doing magic nearly his whole life, and in that scenario I would agree with you, but I just wanted to bring that point up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:59 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 08 Jan 2007
Posts: 665
Location: A box next to wal-mart
fallingblood wrote:
thegenius3232 wrote:
...oh my gosh.. listen carrfuly please to this message


This is all about getting great reactions not about performing
Then listen to this carefully. Age matters when getting great reactions. If I'm 10 years old, the reactions I get are not going to be as good if I was older. This has many reasons behind it. The biggest reason, people look at 10 year olds differently. That's life. You can't change it. They can perform some of the greatest magic ever, however, they will still be seen as a kid. And they will be seen as cute.

Also, a 10 year old simply won't be able to pull of some effects. Mentalism is a lot harder for younger people to pull off. Banachek even admits this. That's just a fact. You can argue with it as much as you want, but it doesn't change the truth.

You're still young, and you only see this issue from one perspective. You haven't been out there performing long enough to know that age matters. With age, comes expeirence, skill, and respect. That's a fact of life.



umm fallen that is exacly what I said the first post of this :shock:


but thanks for redoing it for others

-MagicTay


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:57 am 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Posts: 6622
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
thegenius3232 wrote:

umm fallen that is exacly what I said the first post of this :shock:


but thanks for redoing it for others

-MagicTay
So then you accept that age does matter?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:58 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
thegenius3232 wrote:
...oh my gosh.. listen carrfuly please to this message


This is all about getting great reactions not about performing


Mr Genius, the ONLY way to get great reactions is by impeccable performance.

Like I said, only half armed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:42 am 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 08 Jan 2007
Posts: 665
Location: A box next to wal-mart
Paddy thanks for telling me that.

-MagicTay


Last edited by thegenius3232 on Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:56 am 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Posts: 11157
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
This dead horse has already been beaten too many times to count. Age does not matter to "kids" but it does matter to "adults" and perspective employers. If age actually was not a factor, why would this even be brought up? Because it IS a factor.

Whether or not "you think" age is irrelevant, is irrelevant in itself. What truly matters is what the management, or those who hire you think. You are speaking from a very biased viewpoint simply because it relates to your own position. When in fact it is others who will be judging you, not you judging yourself.

Who do you think a restaurant is going to hire if given the choice between say a 50-year old performer who has done magic professionally for 30 years, or a 14-year old kid who is just starting out and not even the legal age to work really? You know the answer. I can also honestly say that I have never seen any restaurant magician in my area younger than about 30, even though there are not many magicians in my area at all.

Whether you like it or not, your age will overrule all those other factors that should be taken into consideration; but they won't. No one is going to take you seriously and are going to turn a blind eye simply because you are too young to worry about. That is the world, and that is life. But there is no hurry to start working, and there shouldn't be. Enjoy your youth while you can, it won't be around forever.

Granted I began working professionally full-time at age 16, but I also knew that I was ready after 9 years of extensive, and painstaking practice and rehearsal; along with the occasional paid gig here and there. I was committed to performing magic full-time as a career from the early age of 7, and I saw that dream through to fruition. It was ALL I did, and there was no internet then. But I was also 16, not 14. Believe it or not there is big difference, especially to potential employers.

It doesn't matter how big, or how old you look physically either... but how old you ARE. To believe otherwise you are just living in your own world of self-delusion, and denial. Age might not matter so much as far as being entertained is concerned, but it DOES matter when it comes to employment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:11 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 08 Jan 2007
Posts: 665
Location: A box next to wal-mart
alright thanks everyone for everything~~

-MagicTay


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:09 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
thegenius3232 wrote:
Paddy thanks for tell me that also but I all ready new that and that has been posted by be but thanks


-MagicTay


What the heck is he saying. Want to try it again in English."For tell me" is that fortune telling? And "I all ready new" are you saying that all of something is new? Or are you attempting to say you "already knew" something. The rest is totally unintelligible. And I speak and read seven languages in 3 alphabets.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:13 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 08 Jan 2007
Posts: 665
Location: A box next to wal-mart
lol what the heck was I talking about lol I dont even understand that and I wrote it lol.


-MagicTay

P.S OH!!! I was on the phone talking to one of my friends to see if we can get together, mabye I typed something I said.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:17 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 18 Aug 2002
Posts: 5856
Location: www.anythingmagic.net
Maybe you should quit while your way behind............ :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:03 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Posts: 6622
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
Don't worry, I'm here to interpret it. Just call me mishappened English man.

Translation-
Paddy, thanks for telling me that. But I already knew everything you had to say, as it's all been posted before by me. But thanks anyway.


Actually, it still doesn't make sense. Much of what he said in this thread doesn't make sense, because he's arguing both sides.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:09 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
Oh thank God, Fallingblood. That's the way I read it and couldn't make sense out of it. What he basically says is Yes you're right because I've said the same thing in half my posts while I disagree in the other half. Or something like that


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.