View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:08 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I would listen to sluggo here. You have nothing. The likely hood that you will succeed at this birthday party are basically none. Simply because you have no idea what you are doing. I would really suggest calling them, and recommending a different magician. Because it's irresponsible to do the show, and ruin the kids birthday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:10 pm 
born to perform.

fallingblood wrote:
Most people wont want you doing fire magic in their houses or yards. I know I surely wouldnt want someone playing with fire around my house. Especially when there are little kids around, who will be looking up to you. Not the greatest idea.

not true
i work with a proffesional magician and when he does fire magic in children's birthday nobody complains and everyone ask for his buisnes card after hes finished

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:31 pm 

I GUARANTEE that he cleared it with the people first. If not, I feel sorry for him and his clients as he won't be a professional anything for very much longer.

Post subject: sluggo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:06 pm 
Penguin

sluggo you have too much time on your hands to be critizising negatively about everybody like i saw in several of your posts. You should give positive reinforcement it just sounds like you're angry with the world, haha an angry and frustrated "magician" is what you sound to me hahhahha.

Post subject: Re: sluggo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:31 pm 
Emperor Penguin

palexb17 wrote:
sluggo you have too much time on your hands to be critizising negatively about everybody like i saw in several of your posts. You should give positive reinforcement it just sounds like you're angry with the world, haha an angry and frustrated "magician" is what you sound to me hahhahha.
I have a question. Why did you ask for our advice, if you're going to act like that? Seriously, if you don't want to take the advice, and insult the people who do try to help, don't waste our time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:40 pm 

palexb17 wrote:

Well you may be right about Sluggo, except for one thing. Mike is a firefighter for the city of Cincinnati plus he has been a professional clown for a good number of years. I've seen his act and it is supurb. He has forgotten more about magic and showmanship that you will ever learn. So if you have any intelligence left, listen to him.

Also you skipped over my question. Do you have insurance?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:44 pm 
born to perform.

palexb17 wrote:

If there was something positive to say I would've said it. But since you know everything you should've already known that.
Angry & frustrated I am at people like you who knows nothing about doing kid shows but goes ahead and does them anyway. You came on here and asked us to give you a show...no thanks.
Besides having a manager(haha) what have you done to prepare yourself to entertain six year olds?
I can tell by your posts you are somewhat clueless in this area. You think by doing magic you will entertain them.. lesson#1 entertaining and doing magic is two seperate items.
I am also what you refer to as a manager (contractor) I have contracts with the two of the largest events in Cincinnati. I had contracts to cover all the kid cruises for Tall Stakes, eight to ten different types of entertainers for four straight days. Magicians, balloonists,facepainters, tatoo's, and hair braiders. Also the Cinco/demayo a two day event with multiple entertainers. I do Corporate events, Library & school shows as well as numerous BD parties. I have attended numerous kid show conventions in the U.S. to get where I am at. I know a hack when I see one and I won't help someone who doesn't put into it what they should. So the best of luck to you and your manager.
www.sluggosmagicgiggles.com
www.mbsafetyshows.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:04 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
Go Sluggo, go Sluggo!

It's your birthday!

Yeeeeeahh!

I wish I could see your stuff. I've only seen your site, and that, my friends is what a professional is all about........

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:14 pm 
born to perform.

Thank you so very much Mr. Jamesjay 1!
Now that was positive wasn't it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:22 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
My pleasure Mr. Sluggo.

I certainly was positive.

Here's another, if I lived in Cincinatti, and needed a magician/clown, I'd hire you in a heartbeat. You have shown beyond any shadow of a doubt what a true professional is like.

Sure he's gruff, guys, but hey, sluggo's what? mumblety-three years old? :wink: He's allowed to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:06 pm 
Team Penguin

I used to be a positive feedback guy, tried to be nice to people getting started by using constructive criticism...but the more of these posts I read, the more aggravated I get. I have worked hard to get where I am...I spent years preparing myself for shows, being tutored by the masters, and reading about performing till my eyeballs felt like falling out. I never got in front of an audience unprepared. This is why I don't respond to these posts much anymore...people just don't care. They think they can just go buy a few tricks at the local magic store, and that makes them a magician...that is incorrect. THat doesn't make you a magician, it makes you a guy that can do a few tricks. To be a magician takes time, effort, discipline, and respect. Don't rush to get your next quick dollar...take your time and work hard for it. I doubt you are desperately in need of money right at this moment.

Take the time to sit down and sort through what you are getting into. Kidshows are a lot harder than most people think they are! Kids are a lot more complex than you may want yourself to believe. They are different thinkers and enjoy different things. To be successful, you must fully understand children and their ways. Read some books on entertaining children and children's psychology. Learn about your field before you dive into it, otherwise it could be more than you can handle.

I am glad sluggo is being as blunt as he is and I am glad that paddy is always as blunt as he is. The world needs more people like that in it today. The society of America is falling because people get their feelings hurt. The truth may hurt, but at least it will help you. Political Correctness is nothing but a giant blob of horse Sh*t that has been tossed into the american public...everything has to be sugar coated and polite, and positive before anyone will listen to it and that is wrong. Nobody wants to focus on the negative...but when it boils down to it, the negative is what needs to be focused on the most, because that is where your flaws are.

If this post gets deleted, it proves my point even more...

Now I ask you all who gripe and moan about people being to harsh and those of you who ask for help and dismiss what people say simply because your feelings got hurt; do you want help? or Do you not want help?

If you want help then stop complaining when anyone points out your mistakes...just suck it up and fix them, then you will get your pats on the back and start gaining some respect.

If you don't want help, then you shouldn't dare bother posting a question or routine ever again.

Now I am done...time to get off my soapbox...

SLUGGO...

check out this July's issue of the Linking Ring if you're a member of the IBM...they did an article on me for it...might be worth giving a look-see...and who knows...whenever I see you, I might even autograph it for a small fee... :wink: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:46 pm 
born to perform.

Wow! pretty hard core Kyle, I'm proud of you. Truly though these same posts over and over will hardened the most even tempered person in the world.
Autograph for a fee you ought to be ashamed. Don't forget, I make a living staying in a building with eight other guys. I have learned some unsavory practical jokes and I have learned how to get a key to anyone's room in a hotel right from the front desk oh boy it could get ugly :shock:
Besides all that, ya know I'm proud of you.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:54 am 
Penguin

My only advice is that if somebody here gets under your skin as evident from some above posts, just forget about them until they change their ways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:31 pm 
Penguin

As a new kid show performer, Kyle is 100% right-they're tough. As with Sluggo, I am also a professional firefighter and paramedic and teaching kids about "get low and go" is much easier than keeping them entertained. Buying effects in no way makes you a magician, to be dedicated to the art and disciplined enough to work for your success is the key. Praise to both Sluggo and Kyle on their honesty, success and continued best wishes. Take care Sluggo when the gong sounds.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:38 am 
born to perform.

Hey Drummer,
What Dept. do you work for?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next