For what it's worth...
I do both types of magic because I like performing both types. Here are some reasons why:
1) I can make people happy doing any kind of magic
2) Sometimes I am in the mood for the more personal magic close up provides. One on one with the spectator.
3) Sometimes I am in the mood for the bright light and applause
4) I get paid for doing either type
5) Stage is expensive. I was pricing the Asarah alevetation because I sold mine. Now I want to do it again. It coast thousands to by. Fortunately I love to build and make things. So I built the the complete setup. Everything, for less than $100.00
6) I do escapes also. Love the challenge
7) Sometimes it is the mood I'm in.
There are aspects about both I don't enjoy. I don't enjoy setting up for a stage show and not having accsess to lighting and sound that was promised me. I don't like the little kids peeking in my stuff, I don't like the adult spectatoe who is so rude he reaches out and grabs things.
These things don't happen all the time. Because 97% of the time things go the way I want them to, It is all fun.