View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:41 pm 
born to perform.

I charge £100 per night (2 hours), which equates to $200 or $100 an hour, but you cant really compare like that because the dollar is worth practically nothing at the moment compared to the £.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:02 pm 

Genius, I have said it earlier in another thread, You are coming into a battle of wits but you are only half armed. The only thing you are going to do with your limited knowledge of tricks is burn the restaurant for a real magician. You've already burned yourself on these forums, don't burn others.

QUIT NOW, until you learn what your doing, then try to be an entertainer. All you know now is how to do a couple of tricks and gimmicks. Learn to PERFORM them, then you will make a good impression on people.

If I sound harsh, too bad, you ought to hear what I tell others about you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:07 pm 
born to perform.

Paddy I know what I'm doing thanks for your advise but I have been performing alot of my tricks already at school, on the streets, and at 2 or 3 restaurants to our waiter, at birthday parties.

But paddy im not trying to ague with you but I know what im doing im getting pre-paired, I have bought Live at the jailhouse and watched it tons of times taking notes on it and putting their info. into my words and writing down on paper. Thanks for helping me though

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:15 pm 

thegenius3232 wrote:
Paddy I know what I'm doing thanks for your advise but I have been performing alot of my tricks already at school, on the streets, and at 2 or 3 restaurants to our waiter, at birthday parties.

But paddy im not trying to ague with you but I know what im doing im getting pre-paired, I have bought Live at the jailhouse and watched it tons of times taking notes on it and putting their info. into my words and writing down on paper. Thanks for helping me though

-MagicTay

Again please write in English. Use correct capitalization, punctuation, and grammar. That is part of the reason it is obvious that you can't make it. You are too lazy to study in school so how can you study magic. Again, PLEASE DON'T DO IT!

Post subject: to paddy/fallen
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:17 pm 
born to perform.

I'm just wonding did I do anything wrong to make you two mad? It seems like you two are bad at me for some reason. Did I say anything or do anything to hurt you two?

If I did im sorry. :(
It always seems like you two are trying to get back at me, but you also help me and give advise. Mabye you two are just trying to help me, but thanks

-MagicTay

Post subject: Re: to paddy/fallen
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:56 pm 
Emperor Penguin

thegenius3232 wrote:
I'm just wonding did I do anything wrong to make you two mad? It seems like you two are bad at me for some reason. Did I say anything or do anything to hurt you two?

It always seems like you two are trying to get back at me, but you also help me and give advise. Mabye you two are just trying to help me, but thanks

-MagicTay
This is another sign that you aren't ready. You have to learn to take criticism. From recent posts, you have clearly shown that you can't. People will criticize you, people will be rude, people will tell you some horrible things. It's life. And you have to learn how to take it, because if you don't, you can get in trouble while doing restaurant work.

No one is out to get you, people are just trying to give you advice. Which you seem not to want to take. This is free advice from people who do this. And personally, I think Paddy has always had good advice, and it's correct. So start listening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:25 am 
born to perform.

I get paid roughly $50/hr + tips at the restaurant I work at. Not only that, but advertising by handing out business cards nets me even more money. On special occassions when the owner has events, he'll hire me for $200/hr. Otherwise, the normal night is what I said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:42 am 

thegenius3232 wrote:
sounds good fallen, but everyone is a beginner till you get hired, but this year i'm starting praticing more and making new rountins, and still working on my grammer and spelling. I did right up a Contract and still correcting it.

Thanks again

-MagicTay

true but not true.

working a resteraunt is no normal walk around gig. you have to have really good people skills as well as have the chops.

from what I've seen of you I don't think you are ready. age has little to do with it, I started working resteraunts at age fivteen HOWEVER I was far from ready at the time, and have since learned so much over the past six years still performing.

having live at the jailhouse and etc will do nothing for you, resteraunts will not hire someone without an established resume', nor will they hire some 'kid' to walk around and do card tricks (no offense).

I don't so much as get out of bed for under 100$ when it comes to magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:10 am 
Penguin

I have to agree with Bravesaint here MagicTay.
Restaurant work is not like walk around or "street" magic. I've said it before, Restaurant magic is like the big leagues of walk round. Its a steady gig that brings you in cash and lets you hand out your business card with regularity, which is the hardest thing for magicians to get, a regular gig.
Keep practicing and you'll get there :-).

Oh and on the orginal topic. I get at least 80 a night plus tips. My tips average out to 50 dollars a night so I walk out with 140 and 20+ buisness cards handed out :wink:

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:16 am 

I've been working the same restaurant for about 1.5 years now. I make $150.00 per hour. I have a minimum of 3 sets ready to go at any time. I perform the "A" set for anyone who hasn't seen my magic before; the "B" set for return guests; and the "C" set for those repeat guests who really deserve to see someting out of the ordinary. The B and C sets change every 6 months.

For what to charge, it doesn't matter what others on the forums are telling you. They live and work in different markets. Find out what the magicians in your local area are charging and use that as a benchmark. If your initial reaction is "Wow, that's a lot of money!", then it may be one indication that your experience level does not yet justify the work you seek. Whatever you do, don't start working for rates that are so drastically low that you destroy the market for fellow magicians.

Kent

Post subject: Re: to paddy/fallen
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:17 am 
Penguin

thegenius3232 wrote:

-MagicTay

I believe that you have failed to read a lot of posts on this site. The reason why Paddy and the rest including myself have told you not to perform is not to hinder you. The main reason is to help avoid discouragement and exposure. I hope this helps, and keep your head up.

Post subject: are you kidding?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:24 pm 
Penguin

listen man, sounds to me like you know enough about what your doing to make money. Dont think you hafta know 93040 magic tricks in order to quallify. When i got my first gig, i had only done street magic once in my life, and that was back when i was 12. I never got outa magic, i just didnt do it for people (other than familly and friends). Well it just so happened that one day (5yrs later) i was playing cards with my friend when another friend who worked there saw me and asked me to do a trick for his manager. I was a little caught off gaurd by it, but i didnt mind. After i did a trick he liked it so much he wanted me to show the owner. Once the owner came out and saw a trick he wanted to see more, so i started making up stuff on the spot and kinda went with the flow.. i loved it! by the end of the night, i had a crowd of about 15-20 people, some cash, and a new job on sat. from 1-3 getting paid 75 and hour.. plus tips (oh ya, and i had no previous experience, so i guess that woulda made me a beginner). Obviously this is what got me doing magic for people (i now make a lot more than 75 on sat :wink: ). However, im a lucky case where magic found me and i didnt have to do much, so dont be upset if you dont get a lot of money right off the bat, be happy with what you get, even if you hafta start off working free and work your way up! Anyway, dont listen to people that are saying you cant do it.. my only advise is whatever tricks you do, make sure you can do them in ur sleep and JUST AS IMPORTANT.. HAVE A GOOD PATTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:53 pm 
born to perform.

thanks everyone for the advise

WOOOOT 400 POST WOOOT!!!!

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:06 am 
born to perform.

Paddy stop trying to act like you kno weverything. I think tha tif he want to try to perform and get a restaurant gig then he should. He may not be completly ready but you must ge tready by actually goign in and trying it. You will never be COMPLETELY ready until get into the restaurants and get into those certain situations which you mus tlearn form expirience. SO stop always telling people they are not ready. I can agree with you in telling people that ar eclearly ready but I barely ever hear you tell people to go for it. It seems that you don't wnat anyone nto perfomr at all except for you. Genius I think that you are ready. So go for it and i think that 70 dollars a night is a good amount of money for starting out. Go out and do wat you od best. ENTERTAIN!

Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:11 pm 
born to perform.

well lets see Sean, once you have been going that long, you do pretty much no everything. So get lost do some research and come back when you are at least 10.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next