View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A magician without a wand...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:47 pm 
born to perform.

Here is my first essay.
Ps- Yes english is not my first language
- Read the second post that i made to see the rest of the essay.

I find out that many "modern" magicians often misue the use of the wand, either they are finding that the wand looks too much fairy to them, or they are teens that perform at school, must i state that im 15 years old?
I personally belive that the wand play a big ting in magic, as so ever inoffensive, it can be the magician greatest compagnion. It help so much on misdiscrection, or maybe, hiding that palmed coin that make your hand looks like a mess-up broom?

First of all, if you are a teen and you perform mostly at school, if you are like me, you wont gather around your 15$ magician wands, first you risk to loose it or having it snapped by a very very bad heckler ( usually found in schools... ) Or being bullied for carying a wand. Anyways, I dont fancy performing at schools, because you get swarmed by hecklers that want to get the awnser to the unexplained. I strongly recomend teens to DONT perform at school's, because much teens will felt like they are bad at magic and will stop doing it. If you ever want to get some penny's for what you are doing, you'd better start getting some table-hopping tricks, Street magic is fun for filling up your time, and getting experience, but if you want cash it ends there. And if you want to table-hop' the wand will greatly help you, in many many ways, Vernon's said that the magician wands reflect the magician personality. The wand help to entertain, to misdirect, to enchance your act. If you do cups and balls this is a MUST. Most magicians prefers to have their wand ungimicked, because all the specator see's that is unexplicable, they will refer it to the "gimicked" wand, Even if you make the floating dollar bill trick, they will think the wand is magnetized, wich is abselutely imposible to have an item fly without reaching the magnet. So when they are looking for the wand, you can do your clear-up, or just make the wand look suspicious and have them look on it where it's happening a way farer than the wand. Some role-playing people will prefers gimicked wands, I've been to a magic shop that i never visited, and a guy was showing off a very nice wand, It looked like a very old want with a red-like orb at the end of it, There was a trigger on one end of the wand, when he pushed it, it threwed fires-balls.
All you add to do is adding flash pads in it, and it could be done very easyly. I wanted one, but when he told me the price... i just keept on using my lighter! So as i explained the wand is a very usefull tool while doing magic, and every magicians that want to perform for real shoul'd have one, seriously.

I have two wands, One is the Magician wand sold here at penguin wich is a very nice classy wand, it is perfect in all point, and it cost only 15$, I saw some wands being sold for 450$ in various shops. And i have one gimicked wand that as a secret loading sistem ( like Thumb tips )
It works a bit like the one that trow firebals, but it only produce the loaded item at the end of the wand, It is very fun with sponges balls, I dont think it is sold here at penguin, it's called the Loaded wand.

Belive it or not, but much of people that has the raven use wands, if you have a bit of imagination, you can make very weird things happen! If you are a thread worker it is a very good option for misdirecting, people will tend to pass their hand from the wand to the levitated object, when its tied somewhere else, thread workers knows. So it's a nice litle sublety to enchance your tricks again. Also if you have some trouble with palming just anything, if you have small hands, just hold the wand with the palming hand, it will look less suspicious.

Hope it helped!

Last edited by Bliztmagic on Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:56 pm 
born to perform.

Interesting topic, although I'm still not inclined to buy a wand. You can just carry a sharpie or pen and use that as a makeshift wand to make things look more impromptu. Wands are essential for some things though, like you said the cups and balls.

Just curious, is English your natural language? That essay had some really bad grammar and spelling you might want to fix up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:33 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Obviously its not his main language.

Anyway, I do not think a wand is essential in magic. It is only essential if you are going to use it properly. If you just have a wand to hide a coin in a palm, then you are using the wand wrong. The wand is meant to distract, misdirect and show class. It is not meant to be a prop for all magic props. If you are doing coin work and you use a wand, that's just a NO NO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:55 am 
born to perform.

A wand is not essential, but for some character personas it is an asset.

I performed for over 30 years without a wand, and then obtained a custom Alivans wand when I started doing children's shows as a 'Hogwarts-style' wizard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:04 am 
Emperor Penguin

Nice essay, but I think I'll stick to my Sharpie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:21 pm 
born to perform.

oops!...
sorry for grammar, In fact, english is not my main langague. I just read it again and i saw a lot of mistakes, sorry for that, hope you understand :D

To reply at some reply:
Of course you can have a sharpie, but personally, i think a nice wand will surprise much more then an ordinary sharpy. If you are 50-50 between sharpie and wands, Just buy the sharpie wand :wink:

I realised the power of a wand when i've done my first "show". I done it on a volunter base on a small event. If you like table-hoping, it helps a lot, and i think you look more professional with a nice wand like The magicians wand, then you would do with a sharpie or a piece of wood rubbed by electric tape or Hockey tape. Of course, you are not obliged to have a wand, but give it a try, if you are more like a gimick user you can by vanishing wands, if you spectator dont like you using a wand you just go : «... mmm, You might be right, Wands are for fairyes...» Then you vanish the wand into a silk and proceed to a silk trick.

I like to use a wand, because it give more chance for you to add some patter to your routines, The method play about 1% of the trick, i say that because methods are unseen by the spectator eyes ( that's why you got in magic in the first place ) Performance play about 5% and pattering play a big 94%. What you want from spectator is not to say "Hey i've seen that geek the other day, he made a magic trick it was cool" you want to make them say " Holy! that guy is a professional magician we should hire him for our chrismas party he was so funny!" What you want is people reminding YOU.

The wand pack a lot on that, some people tend to say at first, a wand! wath an oldie! But if you pack a lot and make them BELIVE that the wand is magical, or vodoo, or come from a chest you found in the wild, or whatever you'd like. Kids love them, teens need to be convinced, and adult like when you make it spin.

I really like when people watch my table and say, OH nice look he's cups and he's wand, he must be very good to have the shiny cups. When i actually have Brass uday cups that worth 14$...

To finish, Well the wand is for certain person, and not for the other, I belive that the inspiration that came from the hour most mediatised magicians, Blaine and Criss, made us look on the dark face of magic...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:29 pm 
Emperor Penguin

???????????? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:35 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Once again, I'll stick to my Sharpie. I'm mostly a card guy, and I don't think wands are necessary to card magic. I think it would make it seem weird to use a wand to, let's say, make a card magically jump to the top of the deck (ACR), or turn over in the middle of the pack (Biddle Trick), or fly out of the middle of the deck (FISM Aces). I think there are certain effects that are definitely better with a wand, such as cups and balls, and even add to the effect of some, like the Floating Dollar Bill... but I'll still stick to my Sharpie.

Last edited by adjones on Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:05 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Cups and balls do NOT require a wand. It adds to the classicness of the cups and balls, but it is no way required. I only use my wand on my pool chop cup routine because the wand is a mini pol cue and it aids in misdirection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:07 pm 
Emperor Penguin

magikrn wrote:
Cups and balls do NOT require a wand. It adds to the classicness of the cups and balls, but it is no way required. I only use my wand on my pool chop cup routine because the wand is a mini pol cue and it aids in misdirection.

I agree. What I meant to say was that it definitely make the effect appear better. Sorry for the confusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:20 am 
Penguin

Location: Well I was thinking about it but, I like your moms house
adjones wrote:
Once again, I'll stick to my Sharpie. I'm mostly a card guy, and I don't think wands are necessary to card magic. I think it would make it seem weird to use a wand to, let's say, make a card magically jump to the top of the deck (ACR), or turn over in the middle of the pack (Biddle Trick), or fly out of the middle of the deck (FISM Aces). I think there are certain effects that are definitely better with a wand, such as cups and balls, and even add to the effect of some, like the Floating Dollar Bill... but I'll still stick to my Sharpie.

I agree wand arent for everything.I love wands though so really I try to use them alot