View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: what do you do when you are not peforming?
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:32 am 
Penguin

as the house magician, how to you walkaround the restaurant? do you need to go from table to table? ABCD? do you only perform for them before their food arrive? what do you do when everybody is having their food and you have free time?

Post subject: restaurant walkaround
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:48 am 
Penguin

If you have free time, that's the time you use to set up tricks. Find a lemon, garb a card, you know the rest. I have a spot in the back of the restaurant where I can keep strands of IT ready to go. Another hint, if all the food is out, the cooks are bored. The more you entertain and get to know them, the better your chances are for a free dinner.

Post subject: Re: restaurant walkaround
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:38 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
mantis wrote:
The more you entertain and get to know them, the better your chances are for a free dinner.

Why don't you just stand at the intersection of a busy street and hold a sign "Will do magic for food"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:51 am 

You should have a spot to sit down that's out of the way and to one side so you can reset if you need to.

Mantis said
Quote:
Another hint, if all the food is out, the cooks are bored. The more you entertain and get to know them, the better your chances are for a free dinner.
DON'T do that. The staff is there to WORK, not play with you. Yes there are times to entertain the staff, but when they are slow that is the time for them to clean up the kitchen, take out garbage, and the other duties they have to do besides cook. Interfering with their work will get you fired.

If they have the time to watch you, then you're in the wrong restaurant. Get one that's busy.

Last edited by paddy on Sun May 20, 2007 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:39 am 
Penguin

If I don't have reset to do I have a spot thats in front of the restaurant off to one side that I stand and do card flourishes and the likes to get the peoples intrest in my performance before I even come to the table.
If not that then I stand off by the greeter and also greet the customers coming in or leaving. I always try to look busy or doing something. If your sitting around doing nothing then managment will feel slighted.

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject: Re: restaurant walkaround
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:28 am 
Penguin

SmokingMonkey wrote:
mantis wrote:
The more you entertain and get to know them, the better your chances are for a free dinner.

Why don't you just stand at the intersection of a busy street and hold a sign "Will do magic for food"
I'm liking that idea.

Post subject: Re: what do you do when you are not peforming?
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:44 am 
Emperor Penguin

jiayi07 wrote:
as the house magician, how to you walkaround the restaurant?
There are different options. Personally, I keep a watch on the waiters. This way, I get an idea of what tables would be good to perform at (as in time issues, so I can make sure I have enough time to perform before the food arrives). I also listen to the waiters as they will tell me if there are tables that it would help if I performed at (for instance, if their food will take longer than expected). I also look at the customers. If they look bored, I'll go and talk to them, and perform a little magic. If it's a family, and it looks like they need a little help with the kids, I will go perform for the kids there. You really just have to keep your eyes open.
Quote:
do you need to go from table to table?
I personally go from table to table. I've heard that some restaurant magicians just have a table set up somewhere, and perform there, but I personally don't like that idea. I'd personally would rather just walk around, from table to table.

Quote:
do you only perform for them before their food arrive?
That and maybe after they are done eating. But only after if it's a slower night. If it's a busy night, then only before they eat, this way I don't keep anyone their longer than necessary. Never perform while they eat though.

Quote:
what do you do when everybody is having their food and you have free time?
Being a restaurant magician isn't just about the magic. You're basically an ambassador to the restaurant. Keeping that in mind, I will go around to certain tables if I think they look like they need something. I will ask if they are having a good time, and if there is anything that they need. Now, if they need something, I don't get it for them, but I inform their waiter. Many times though, I will just go around and make sure that everyone is having a good time, and make sure everything is right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:52 pm 
Penguin

I didn't mean to come across as unprofessional or anything, but after doing magic at a restaurant for five years, I was just trying to suggest some tips. At this particular restaurant, the rush ends around 9:00, the cooks are bored, and there's not alot to do until the dishes from the floor come back. Anyone who's worked a restaurant knows how many med. rare steaks come out medium and end up going home with the employees. I don't go around bugging the cooks, they're always begging to see the "new trick". As long as the timing's right, I personally don't see the harm in entertaining the staff. And for the free food thing, I'm sure alot of you guys don't pay for drinks when you go out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:19 pm 
born to perform.

Edit~~

-MagicTay

Last edited by thegenius3232 on Sat May 19, 2007 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:40 am 
born to perform.

not true, there are dead spots, you could have a bad night say, just 3 tables taken, all have seen magic and they may have even seen you twice. They now want to eat, and yu have set up all your tricks (shouldnt really have set up time).

Now you have a dead spot, where you can try and entertain someone, maybe, just maybe bar person or someone like that, but in reality all you can do is stand around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:05 am 
born to perform.

Edited~

Last edited by thegenius3232 on Sat May 19, 2007 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:29 am 
born to perform.

thegenius its quite clear from your advice, that your telling us all theory that you have learnt but have no real experience yourself. If you explain to the manager, they should have no problem. And if its a slow night, why is there a que?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:47 am 
born to perform.

hm I'm sorry I had forgotten that you could do that. lol sorry

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:16 pm 
Emperor Penguin

thegenius3232 wrote:
Well like you said if there are tables where its a slow night and the "tables" have been entertained and you have set-up all your tricks, then like you said go to the bar or even the line in the lobby or something. Just dont stand around or your boss will see that and you'll get fired.

just try to entertain people.

-MagicTay
You may be trying to help people, but it's clear you don't have any experience here. So please don't give advice that you don't know if works or not. It would be like me giving advice about Nuclear Fission. It would be crappy advice, and it would screw over a lot of people who listened to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:57 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
You should have a spot to sit down that's out of the way and to one side so you can reset if you need to.

Mantis said
Quote:
Another hint, if all the food is out, the cooks are bored. The more you entertain and get to know them, the better your chances are for a free dinner.
DON'T do that. The staff is there to WORK, not play with you. Yes there are times to entertain the staff, but when they are slow that is the time for them to clean up the kitchen, take out garbage, and the other duties they have to do besides cook. Interfering with their work will get you fired.

If they have the time to watch you, then you're in the wrong restaurant. Get one that's busy.

not true, in downtime (trust me every resturante will oe time or another have some downtime) just show like 2-3 minutes worth of stuff.. Your boss may actually enjoy you doing this...

Personally i find magic a expensive hobby, i work, save up, learn new things to entertain people and make them have a good time, so yeh try not worrying obbsessivly on the money part, im sure with all your good work youll find a breakthru.