View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:40 pm 
Penguin

You could also get Jay Sankey's DVD called The Real Work on Restaurants and Bars. He gives some good insight on those kinds of things, and the dvd is only $30 i think. Also you don't need to have that many tricks to perform restaurant magic (3-4 sets), we have a magician at our local TGI Fridays who does the same couple of tricks all the time, but everyone still knows and loves him. (However i would recommend having at least 2 sets). Also i would really become friendly with the management and staff before working at the restaurant. You want them to be on your side. Thats why another thing is that most of the tips you get need to go towards the staff, not you. Start working for maybe $25 an hour and see how that goes after a couple of months. At least 60% or more of the tips you recieve should go to the waiters and waitresses waiting those tables.
I am actually 16 and trying to get a job working restaurant magic during the summer. I believe I'm about ready, but i've gotten experienced advice from the above mentioned DVD plus two magicians i know personally who have a lot of experience in the business. I also know the management at the restaurant i plan to work at, and my dad has some connections with them as well because he has supervised fundraisers there for the last year or so.
My tip is to get some advice from magicians who really work in the field. Then try it out, and see how it goes. For a lot of things though, be prepared to learn the hard way. That's how most magicians have to do it. Oh, and get Sankey's DVD, definately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:19 pm 

jackpot6200 wrote:
... Also i would really become friendly with the management and staff before working at the restaurant. You want them to be on your side. Thats why another thing is that most of the tips you get need to go towards the staff, not you. Start working for maybe $25 an hour and see how that goes after a couple of months. At least 60% or more of the tips you recieve should go to the waiters and waitresses waiting those tables... My tip is to get some advice from magicians who really work in the field...

Some good information here and some bad info also. I'll start with the bad information because that is the shortest.

I've been working restaurants for 9 years now and have always accepted tips. I NEVER, EVER TELL ANYONE how much I make in tips. I've even had servers say "Hey I made $100 tonight how did you do?" My answer is always "I don't know. I don't even look at them until I get home."

Also if the place is really busy, I will buss the tables and even refill customers drinks for the servers. I stay out of their way and never approach a table until they have been there for the drink order or if they are at the table. I always ask the manager on duty if there is a contest that night (sometimes the manager will give out a prize or even a $25 bonus to the server that sells the most of a certain item) and if there is when I get to the table before they have made a food order I will tell them "Try the (whatever the contest item is) I had it before I started and it is really good."

All that makes friends with the waitstaff and they in turn will help you.

Everything else is very good information (except for Jay Sankey but that's just my opinion of him) so follow that and start slowly. Remember that you will be an entertainer, you will be representing the restaurant to the customers and you will also represtnet all of us to the restaurant. So be very good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:43 am 
Penguin

Paddy,
Don't put down Jay Sankey. The Sankey Nerds will come out of the wood work and cut you down lol.
I own that DVD (as well as a host of others and books) on Restaurant work. It was all right 3 out of 5 stars.
Remember, don't take one performers ideas as the end all of what you should do. Lots of very successful performers do very very different effects and have different approaches towards tips, close up pads, card from mouth, flash paper and pretty much everything. Take all the advice in and find what works for you.
Stay open minded.

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:18 am 
Penguin

Of course you should always accept the tips, but most of them should later be passed onto the wait staff. Theres no need to reveal how much you made, but as an extension of the staff, giving them some of your tips will get them on your side. Remember that they are working hard and make most of their money that way. With you in the picture, they might feel as though you are there to take away some of their tips. So this is a good way to reverse that negative thinking. Not every magician does this, but many do. just a suggestion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:30 am 
born to perform.

jackpot6200 wrote:
Of course you should always accept the tips, but most of them should later be passed onto the wait staff. Theres no need to reveal how much you made, but as an extension of the staff, giving them some of your tips will get them on your side. Remember that they are working hard and make most of their money that way. With you in the picture, they might feel as though you are there to take away some of their tips. So this is a good way to reverse that negative thinking. Not every magician does this, but many do. just a suggestion.

I wouldn't recommend that. You are there and you earn your tips just like the waiters and waitresses. There is no need to share your tips as long as the servers get tipped as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:33 pm 
born to perform.

ultimate workers volume one with michael close gives advice on restraunt jobs suhc as hwo to get the job and how to build your self up even before the people meet you

plus its an overall GREAT dvd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:07 pm 
Penguin

i got the job :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:34 pm 
born to perform.

should we start again for you?

Post subject: Re: ok im going to ask for a job
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:12 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
mbl16 wrote:
im 16 and am going to ask for a job at the local coffee house where everyone goes on saturday nights.

Why would they need/want to hire a magician if "everyone goes there on saturday nights"?

How will you increase business if "everyone goes there"?

Sounds like you will just be an added expense without any benefits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:01 am 

The monkey wrote:
Quote:
Why would they need/want to hire a magician if "everyone goes there on saturday nights"?

The job is not always to bring in new customers as to keep those waiting entertained. On Fri and Sat nights the restaurants I am at will have as much as a 90 minute wait. My job is to keep the waiting crowd entertained so they don't leave and go someplace else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:39 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
paddy wrote:
The monkey wrote:
Quote:

The job is not always to bring in new customers as to keep those waiting entertained. On Fri and Sat nights the restaurants I am at will have as much as a 90 minute wait. My job is to keep the waiting crowd entertained so they don't leave and go someplace else.

good point. That keeps people motivated to stay waiting.

But will there be a waiting line at a café?

In any case, he claims to have got the job, so I guess there was a reason to hire him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:18 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
The monkey wrote:
Quote:

Thats what what strippers are for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:28 pm 
Penguin

it consits of comedy magic similar to what penn and teller do but with some original effects and stuff... I have also been studying hypnotism and am going to perform that with the magic so far it works 100% of the time

oh and i will post a video up of my first night there when i figure out how to put it on the computer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:16 pm 
born to perform.

i have a question

for restraunt work, when you do table hopping, how many tables do you get involved???

like do you get the attention of about 4 tables sometimes and do some effects or just do tricks for that table exclusively???

i was just wondering

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:29 pm 

Guardian452 wrote:
i have a question

for restraunt work, when you do table hopping, how many tables do you get involved???

like do you get the attention of about 4 tables sometimes and do some effects or just do tricks for that table exclusively???

i was just wondering

I approach ONE table at a time in restaurants. That's all I do it for. Now if you are working a banquet that's different

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next