View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: First Real Experience
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:40 pm 
Penguin

Hi Brothers,

I finally got started showing magic to people. I have so far been showing magic to my friends, family and some neighborhood kids.

I was at a Mall and with some courage I went up to a group of 20 - 22 people (college students). I was stammering and shivering.... but somehow gained some courage and performed. I forced a card and then did a DL and turnover. Showed the wrong card and asked the girl to use that card as the locater card. She then kept pointing to various portions of the deck and all I said, "Is that your card".

Then a bit of acting, I in disgust said what is your card.... and she said "3 of spades". I then said, now I understand why I was not able to locate the card.... it was with you all this while...

You should have seen the look on their faces.

After this.... i just packed up.... was shivering with fear for about 5 - 10 mins.... and could not focus and sat down.

Does this happen to all you brothers, or is something wrong with me.

Would any of you like to share your experience, maybe, people like me reading the forum could get some tips and learn something.

Best Regards,
Sunil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:44 am 
Penguin

Just go out and perform as much as you can and learn by your mistakes. This will help

Post subject: Some quick questions
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:34 am 
Penguin

Thanks Brother for the reply.

Some quick questions

1. Would you suggest that I make a routine and plan the magic that I intend to show. Or should it be more spontaneous.
2. Should I rehearse what to say and how to greet people or should it be more spontaneous.
3. I am more of a card man than with coins, is it good to entertain only with Cards or should I take up other areas of Magic as well.
4. How do I approach people. I have seen David Blaine saying that "Can I show you something" or "Can I show you some Magic". Is this good, as I dont have a camera following me, people might just think that I am about to CON them.

Sunil

Post subject: Re: Some quick questions
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:53 pm 
born to perform.

sunilbhatia79 wrote:
Thanks Brother for the reply.

Some quick questions

1. Would you suggest that I make a routine and plan the magic that I intend to show. Or should it be more spontaneous.
Personally I just do what ever pops into my head.
2. Should I rehearse what to say and how to greet people or should it be more spontaneous.
I usually just adlib.
3. I am more of a card man than with coins, is it good to entertain only with Cards or should I take up other areas of Magic as well.
It would be a smart thing to take up other areas,but I usually just stick with cards.I would reccomend learing some impromptu magic with everday object though.Such as sinful,stigmata,some good coin magic,etc.
4. How do I approach people. I have seen David Blaine saying that "Can I show you something" or "Can I show you some Magic". Is this good, as I dont have a camera following me, people might just think that I am about to CON them.
I usually just say somthing like "Excuse do you have a minute? I want to show somthing."(I usually use that line when I'm at the store and there's nobod else there. Like at seven11 or JJPeppers.) Or somthing like "Excuse me,would you like to see some magic?" Or just "Excuse me,can I show you somthing?"
Sunil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:28 pm 
born to perform.

i used to adlib, and it was OK, not as good as i liked, but every time i liked something i said, i kept it, and over a few performances i had developed the patter i liked, but i can always add to it.

I like to have a routine in my head before i show the magic, as i hate to have to think where to go next.

Take up other areas for sure. Much more entertaining to have more than just cards.

I Say: Hey there guys, how are you? Excellent, do you guys have a few minutes, id like to show you something really quickly. Great.....

And about the nerves, they just go with practice, used to happen to me, now i just get an adrenaline rush and really enjoy performing. Your patter will probably suck if you are nervous, or will sound mechanical, but as you practice you get more comfortable, natural and better.

Thanks
Ben Lewis

Post subject: Thank you all
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:54 am 
Penguin

Dear Brothers,

Thank you all. Your advice/suggestions are helping.

Sunil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:05 pm 
Penguin

just get it worked out the basic patter of what you're going to say, practice infront of a mirror and keep practicing until there's no hesitation or "uh's" pretty much. Start by performing only to one person and make sure you have the ability and presence to perform it well and amaze them, and slowly work your way up. You can't jump from catching butterflies to catching elephants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:38 pm 
born to perform.

I kind of have the same problem as of now. I made a topic about, you should read it: http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=129674.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:18 am 
born to perform.

I just posted this story in another thread so I'll just copy it.

My first performance was pretty good. I did it to some chinese lady while my mom was getting her nails done at the mall. I was sitting there with some cards practicing my flourishes and she was like "cool". I smiled and said choose a card. I was shaking beyond belief at this point. The trick was an ambitious card routine. It worked out well which made me confident about myself and my magic. I then did a simple french drop. I still remember that day. It was an amazing obstacle that I overcame. Overcoming the fear of performing to strangers is essential to be a good magician. Just go out and try it one day. It'll all be ok if you practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:38 am 
Penguin

Hey Sunil,

Congrats on getting out there and performing! Ironically, that is one of the best ways to overcome your performance anxiety. The second best method? Practice, practice, and practice some more. Get it down 'til you can perform it with your eyes closed!