View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Magic Boxes/Cases
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:22 pm 
born to perform.

Do any of you know where I can get a box where I can carry my stage stuff in. It's not too big and its black with silver framing. I figure I can use this for future performances and kids shows. I'll let you know more details about it in a little. Anyone know where I can get them?

I have seen somewhat some cases, but not [i]perfectly[i] what I want.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:24 pm 

Are you referring to an ATA case?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:33 am 
born to perform.

Well the case I use is the "Executive Case" from this Fantasma magic kit I got for my birthday.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=4145

However, the one that's most talked about on penguin is a metal tool case you can get at home depot. Here's a link to zachmonky's video demonstrating how it makes a great case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MljrUYSgRrY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:19 am 
Emperor Penguin

I have three cases, but I only like one enough to use it to transport my magic. The one that I actually use is the one demonstrated in Zachmonky's video. The other two are similar, but don't have the cool storage on the front of it. One of them is like the Executive Case that Kraynik uses. I didn't really like that one because it didn't have the dividers in the main part of the case. The other one is like the other two on the outside, but black instead of silver. On the inside, it has some foam, and doesn't really have any good storage. I use it to put my air soft guns in... although I don't have any that work at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:53 am 

When you talk about transporting your "stage" material, I immediately start thinking of larger props. My Zig Zag Illusion and my Fire Cage each travel in their own ATA case. The same thing goes for my Asrah Levitation. I have another ATA case for my electrical and sound supplies, and 6 additional ATA cases for miscellaneous props. Spearate trunks are used for costumes and backdrops.

If, on the other hand, you are simply talking about a parlor style show (ie. with linking rings and similar style props), I highly recommend the large Joe Lefleur table. All of the props sit veritically in the table with no tipping. The material covering the table is velcro friendly so you can attach speakers and signs as needed. The table also locks in a closed position and is fitted with castors for ease of travel. I've been using one of these for the last several years and it's one of the best investments I've ever made.

kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:38 pm 
born to perform.

Would you use the case zachmonky presented for resturant walkaround or general close-up? Would you take it to like restauarnts and parties?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MljrUYSgRrY

or

the "executive case?" to bring around?

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=4145

What could I use for a table? Stage or closeup?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:06 pm 

For restaurant strolling and parties, I tend to work out of my pockets as much as possible. If I do need to carry extra things, I bring a black doctor's style bag. The advantage with this type of bag is that it opens from the top (giving easy access to the props inside) and has many internal and side compartments to keep everything organized.

I also use this type of case when street performing since, I can place it right between my feet and control where everything is located. It's absolutely great for circle shows or busking.

Although I do own a bunch of the Wal-Mart style tool cases, they are mainly used to store the materials I need for my Magic Classes. The inserts can be customized to an exact fit so you don't have things falling all over the place.

Whatever you do, don't get the Fantasma case for storage - it doesn't have the moveable slats. The only thing the Fantasma case is good for is if you get the more expensive model that comes with the gimmick for the cell phone in brief case effect.

For stage, David Ginn uses a small soft sided suitcase plopped on top of a TV tray. The lid of the suitcase opens up and is held in open position with a string and a sign advertising his show is on the backside of the case. As soon as he's done, everything goes back in the suitcase, he zips it up and he's done. Although I don't particularly care for the "look" of such as case, it does do the job and doesn't cost a lot.

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:35 pm 
born to perform.

Don't buy the Fantasma product just for the case, because you'll end up getting a full magic kit. If you just want the case, then the tool case on will do fine. However, on a side note, the magic set has some pretty good stuff inside, and even better stuff in the instruction book.

I don't know if you saw any of my talent show videos in the Penguin Theater, but I like to use my case flipped up on a table to sort of hide my props but at the same time getting easy access to them. This has helped with with switches, too. If I call a volunteer up, I just flip the case down so they don't try and see what's inside. It also works good as a performing surface when on a table, but if you already have a table, then there's really no point.

Bottom line, using the case the way I did helped me organize my performance better. I really like how I can secretly steal and object ( TT ) from the case while putting in/taking out another object undetected instead of having to fumble in my pockets or make some sort of intricate holder/dropper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:29 am 
born to perform.

magicman845 wrote:

For stage, David Ginn uses a small soft sided suitcase plopped on top of a TV tray. The lid of the suitcase opens up and is held in open position with a string and a sign advertising his show is on the backside of the case. As soon as he's done, everything goes back in the suitcase, he zips it up and he's done. Although I don't particularly care for the "look" of such as case, it does do the job and doesn't cost a lot.

Kent

Would a suitcase ontop of a TV tray do it? Thats a good idea..However (because I'm wondering, regarding my talent show) when I do my bisection, will it fit in a suitcase?-the blanket cover? And after that I can use the suitcase or the TV tray to start and finish my zombie?

What kind of case though? You said tool case, but where would I get that? Are they silver, slick and a good size?

Thanks a lot guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:43 am 

The general style of suitcase I'm talking about is like this:

http://www.luggageonline.com/product.cf ... ct_ID=2856

However, I would look for one in black without all of the pockets. The top flips up and is kept from flipping completely over by the string. You get all the cover you need to hide and carry your props.

The tool case is from Wal-Mart and contains all of the adjustable slats inside to customize your compartments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:11 am 
born to perform.

kraynik wrote:

I don't know if you saw any of my talent show videos in the Penguin Theater, but I like to use my case flipped up on a table to sort of hide my props but at the same time getting easy access to them. This has helped with with switches, too. If I call a volunteer up, I just flip the case down so they don't try and see what's inside. It also works good as a performing surface when on a table, but if you already have a table, then there's really no point.

What kind of specific suitcase did you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:59 pm 
Penguin

By the way you describe it, you are speaking of an ATA case.

We can build you a great custom case for a reasonable cost.

Let me know if you are interested.

Sam
www.PearceIllusions.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:06 pm 
born to perform.

I used the executive case from the Fantasma magic kit. I use it like David Ginn does, as described my magicman845.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:28 pm 
born to perform.

I might sound redundant, but would or what case would I use to carry my bisection and/or my zombie? (I would place the zombie on top of the suitcase to start with, with the cloth over it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:12 pm 
Penguin

You could use and briefcase type thing really...

If your looking for strength and durability, go with an ATA case for sure.

Sam