View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How are my routines?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:42 pm 
born to perform.

Here is 2 sets of my Routines im going to do if I perform:

Routine #1:

Pen thu dollor
Greed
Butter coin

Routine #2:

"Pick any card" (find it)
Gaff deck
card to wallet

Routine #3:

color chaning ball to the jumbo square
Slam
Fraud

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:35 am 
Penguin

thats not rutines :? :wink: it's youst many tricks after itshother

Post subject: Re: How are my routines?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:21 pm 
born to perform.

thegenius3232 wrote:
Routine #1:

Pen thu dollor
Greed
Butter coin

Routine #2:

Gaff deck
card to wallet

Routine #3:

Slam
Fraud

I hope this is not for a restaraunt walk-around...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:23 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Theres a reason he said "read other post".
There is alrady another full topic on this I do believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:25 pm 
born to perform.

thanks david was about to say the same thing.

I've already edit these routins.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:22 pm 
Penguin

fspigeon wrote:
thegenius3232 wrote:
Routine #1:

Pen thu dollor
Greed
Butter coin

Routine #2:

Gaff deck
card to wallet

Routine #3:

Slam
Fraud

I hope this is not for a restaraunt walk-around...

And what if he is going to perform those tricks?
Give some advise instead of giving such a STUPID comment.
this goes also for ---> kallx
NOOBS

+ It's all about Presentation!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:25 pm 
born to perform.

DMmagician wrote:
And what if he is going to perform those tricks?

Then we would give helpful advice on what other routines to do, or advise him otherwise.

DMmagician wrote:
Give some advise instead of giving such a STUPID comment. this goes also for ---> kallx

OK, it was a bit sarcastic. I'm sorry if it offended you or him. I apologise.

DMmagician wrote:
NOOBS

I think not here.

DMmagician wrote:
It's all about Presentation!

Too right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:57 pm 
Penguin

@ fspigeon

dude, I'm not mad at you ... but I can't understand that if someone is asking for advice that some people give stupid answers.

ex: I see you are not ready, go and practice more, buy royal road to card magic, get this, get that ... that's not giving advice.

Also, If someone puts a vid online and asks for advice ... the anwser you will always see is ---> you flashed!

I hope you understand me and the word noob was wrong -> sry.

About the routines

thegenius3232 wrote:
Routine #1:

Pen thu dollor
Greed
Butter coin

Routine #2:

Gaff deck
card to wallet

Routine #3:

Slam
Fraud

The most important thing is that you have to build your magic up. You have to creat a sort of story. Don't go from trick to trick and don't forget ... your strongest effect most be the 3th effect.

If you show the strongest at the beginning and the second effect is not that strong enough like the first one, they "won't" give you the full attention on the 3th effect cause they were blown away from the first effect already.

build, build, build.

Right down on a paper all your favo card effects, coin effects, impromptu effects ... then you have to make a selection. What goes with what, does this effect reset immediately, what goes next,

do you have business cards? make sure all this things are ready before you perform.

Also, be ready if someone askes you something like, can I shuffle?
NEVER SAY NO! NO MATTER WHAT.
the word NO = A BOOKING LESS

if you want some examples ... let me know cause I have some good answers to that.

dimosa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:49 pm 
born to perform.

DM, the fact you just emphsied(sp?) the word "noobs" shows noone should ever listen to one of your posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:20 pm 

DMmagician wrote:
Quote:
The most important thing is that you have to build your magic up. You have to creat a sort of story. Don't go from trick to trick and don't forget ... your strongest effect most be the 3th effect.

If you show the strongest at the beginning and the second effect is not that strong enough like the first one, they "won't" give you the full attention on the 3th effect cause they were blown away from the first effect already.

This advise is good for stage or parlour shows. Restaurant magic is a different venue and those rules don't necessarily apply. In restaurant work you approach the table, perform, get a$$ to another table. The effects must be entertaining so your patter has to be entertaining, but you do not need to have a story to tie them together.

Also you are only going to have time for 2 or 3 effects, so the build up to the finale is not required. Remember that your show for that table can (and will) be interrupted and if you have a story then it gets cut off in the middle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:12 pm 
born to perform.

...umm you all I think your have forgotten what i have said before but i'll say is again I have another post about this and its done and edit. this was a double post. But thanks for your commets

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:42 am 
Penguin

tkies wrote:
DM, the fact you just emphsied(sp?) the word "noobs" shows noone should ever listen to one of your posts.
Disqualifying his advice because he said Noob would be a mistake.

He may have come off bad - but he did give some good advice. And if you shut people out that easily - you are the one in the wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:37 am 

Having worked in a restaurant as a house magician for a number of years, and continuing to do so as we speak, I think a few comments may be helpful:

1. The actual tricks aren't that important. Sounds strange but it's true. As a house magician, your real job is to act as an ambassador for the restaurant, making sure everyone has a memorable and pleasant dining experience. This has much more to do with your personality than your magic. How you approach a table, how you exit a table, how you react when something unexpected happens, and your relationship with the wait staff - this is what will set you apart.

2. The tricks used in a restaurant need to be very angle proof, with quick reset. Often, you will have spectators watching you from other tables and then you will need to go directly to them immediately after your performance. You don't want to have flashed the secret to the rest of the restaurant and then have to rush off to the bathroom to reset after performing at each and every table. At that point, most guests won't want to shake your hand, let alone pick a card from you.

3. The tricks used in a restaurant need to be quick, visual effects that take up little to no table space. Quite often, you may be in the middle of an effect and the food arrives. You need to be able to end your routine quickly and politely make your exit. Also, many restaurants tend to have inconvenience like plates, cutlery, drinks and appetizers on the table (how rude of them!). As a result, your table space is very limited. Generally, I try to choose/modify effects so they take as little table space as possible (no more than a side plate) or ideally that can be performed in the hands. Obviously, something like a 23 sequence cups and balls routine will not work in the restaurant.

4. The tricks you perform need to be geared toward the specific clientele of your restaurant. If you are in a family restaurant, be prepared to perform for kids as young as 4 and adults as old as 74. I don't know of too many effects that play strongly to that wide an age range. So, you will need to know which effects or sets play well to which particular age groups and then adjust your performances accordingly.

Hope that helps.

Kent