View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Camera tricks
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:31 pm 
Penguin

Location: Milky Way, Sol System, Earth, West Hemisphere, United States, Florida, Orlando
In this essay I will give my 2 cents worth on camera tricks. I do not want to offend anyone, and I do not want people getting into big arguments.

Argument 1:
"Everything we do in magic is a trick anyway. What's the difference between that and camera tricks?"

My take:
What people find so fascinating about magic is that they know that there has to be a logical explanation, but they can't figure out any way it's possible. However, people don't freak out when Superman flies. Why? Because there is an out. They know it's fake. The allure is gone. With magic, even if there are no tricks involved, when people see it on TV there is always that subconsious out. "Oh, he just faked it." My friends have seen Penguin demo videos and been like "Oh, that's cool." but when I do the trick for them in person, they flip out. The point of magic is "Guess what? I bet you can't figure out how I do THIS!" With televised magic, it just becomes a special effect.

Argument 2:
elemenst wrote:
Personally I think Chriss Angel is one of the greatest macicians/illusionists out there. how else did he get his own show? perhaps he was so great that his talent was recognised. anyway magic is about how people feel when they see something amazing which they thought was impossible. even if he does use camera angles and tricks, at least the entire world is amazed at the greatness of his tricks! Plus! He is making magic cool for guys like you so the public will actually pay attention to you! he's doing you a favor
(Stress mine)

My take:
Absolutely not! Firstly, people expect ALL magicians to be able to do that type of stuff. Now we look incompetent because we can't levitate from building to building or climb through a closed window.
elemenst wrote:
anyway magic is about how people feel when they see something amazing which they thought was impossible

They don't think it's impossible when they see it on TV. There is always the "he faked it" subconsious psychological out there that dulls the effect.

I'm gonna get down off my soap box now. Tell me what you think!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:39 pm 
born to perform.

True,I'll have to agree to that.But this was quite short for an essay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:50 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I agree with you, but I thought it was wrong to single out one person's opinion and argue it. I think you should possible try to argue both sides, and let people make up their own opinions. Also, I agree with Cardini3 about this being short for an essay... too short IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:47 pm 
Penguin

Location: Well I was thinking about it but, I like your moms house
I agree.Whenever I see some stuff on t.v magic or Chriss Angel I usaully dont believe it.Just because I am not there And or do not know if it is Fake or real.Good essay and to agree with everyone else pretty short.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:38 pm 
born to perform.

Ok but we can go get a camera and film ourselves doing camera tricks too, and then upload them onto myspace and youtube, so how is that different than a magician putting one on tv?

Its the same gimmick, we all have it.....

So I don't see why its not ok anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:43 pm 
born to perform.

At the dawn of the 1970s Magic Boom, both Mark Wilson and Doug Henning did LIVE specials with a live audience to combat accusations of camera trickery/editing.