View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Couple of Quick Questions
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:46 pm 
Penguin

Hello guys,

I have pretty much got a job at a local busy restaurant. I have met the manager, and he said I can come in and perform whenever I'd like. Before I start, I'm going to buy just a few effects, and a DVD or two on the subject. Here are my questions for you guys ( if they've been already asked, I apologize in advance ):

1. Say you get to work 3 days a week. For one of those 3 days, would you use only ONE routine, consisting of several killer effects and do it for all the tables you hit that night? Then the next day do a different routine, OR would you use about 3 different routines throughout the night?

2. On how to dress, is it better to dress casual, or with a nice clothes ( tie, dress shoes, pants, etc. ) The restaurant I'm going to work at is a pizza place, where their waiters, bus boys, cooks, etc. wear T-Shirts and casual pants. Since they dress normally, is it okay to do the same, or is it better to dress with nicer clothes?

I thank you guys in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:49 pm 
Emperor Penguin

You're in for some bashing in the coming moments.......I predict that I do.

Last edited by magikrn on Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:14 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
oh yeah, this is going to be fun to watch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:25 am 

I'm trying to be a nice guy and not bash anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:27 am 

I want to respond, but perhaps I shouldn't...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:16 am 
Penguin

Magicmaniac1,
Hope your set's go well. Be prepared.
To answer your questions (yes I do work restaurants so I'm not talking out my ---)

1. I have over 30 effects that are suitable for restaurant table magic that get great reactions and I have mastered performing. Including classic chop cup, card to wallet and coins across. Now in a night I have 3 sets that I normally do with only about 3-4 effects. Each trick is stand alone so that I can stop at after any one effect and it would not ruin the routine (do to food coming or just entertaining and joking makes one effect take up the entire time your at a table). Your job is to be engaging and entertaining but to also get to every table in the restaurant. If they want to see magic or not they should know that there is a magician there.
Now during busy nights you might not be able to hit every table so sometimes I do a cards across type effect that gets more people involved or I angle my self so that another table can see the chop cup routine. You will learn these things as you go along or pick up this and that from DVD's and books. (note these are my opinions and should be taken as such).

2. Always dress one step above the wait staff. Normally try to match management or host/hostess. I dress in dress pants, dress shoes, shirt and tie with a fedora hat. But that’s my style.

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:06 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
You forgot to address the fact that he already has the job, but doesn't have any routines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:11 am 

Does "Come in whenever you want" really constitute a job? Are you making a certain amount per hour or are you expected to live off of tips? Be very careful how you approach this because you might also alienate every other working magician in your area.

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:44 am 

magicman845 wrote:
Does "Come in whenever you want" really constitute a job? Are you making a certain amount per hour or are you expected to live off of tips? Be very careful how you approach this because you might also alienate every other working magician in your area.

Kent

OK, I did try to be a good penguin but!!!!

He already has alienated enough of us here. It still amazes me that someone wants a job but has never even seen a working professional and has no idea of what the job entails.

When I see a post like this, where someone is not even bothering to do any research, my first thought is he is too dam lazy to do a good job so he is going to fail. Sorry, but asking on a forum is not considered research.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:58 am 
born to perform.

i think you should get "Live at The Jailhouse". It's a great movie on restaurant magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:11 am 
born to perform.

Let me see, perhaps a future post will be something to help explain the situation, such as:

"Hey guys, I just got a job as a race car driver. I can start racing any time. Before I start, I'm going to go out and buy a car, and maybe a DVD on Learning To Drive"..... etc etc.

Does that sound about right? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:23 am 
Penguin

sean_mh wrote:
Let me see, perhaps a future post will be something to help explain the situation, such as:

"Hey guys, I just got a job as a race car driver. I can start racing any time. Before I start, I'm going to go out and buy a car, and maybe a DVD on Learning To Drive"..... etc etc.

Does that sound about right? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sean

Maybe he should learn how to be a fire eater. Just buy the torch and some lighter fluid. I'm sure he'll figure it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:49 pm 
Penguin

magicman845 wrote:

Kent

The manager told me I would recieve a hundred dollars, plus tips a night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:50 pm 
Penguin

SmokingMonkey wrote:
You forgot to address the fact that he already has the job, but doesn't have any routines.

Actually I do have about 4 routines planned, perfected and ready. I'm still trying to put together more routines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:51 pm 
Penguin

flight2 wrote:
i think you should get "Live at The Jailhouse". It's a great movie on restaurant magic.

Thank you for the advice, I'll definately pick that DVD up, thank you sir!