View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to turn a regular padlock into a spirit lock?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:56 am 
Penguin

Is it as easy as removing the pins?

I'd like to replace a lock with a spirit lock that looks like the original in every way and can be opened with the original key as well as with an improvised lockpick in seconds. This way the gaff could pass inspection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:22 am 
born to perform.

http://themagicwarehouse.com/tescape1.html

ezopen lock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:30 am 
Emperor Penguin

thegenius3232 wrote:

I do believe he wants to do it himself, like many others including myself do.

Cannons has many books on this subject, I suggest looking there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:41 am 

I've done this before. It's easy if you have the right kind of lock. I found an American brand padlock that was easily rekeyable by removing the cylinder. If you can get the cylinder out and get access to the pins, take out pin nearest the opening of the lock and move all the other pins out by one. Be sure to remove any remaining parts in the deepest hole so they don't drop deeper into the lock and jam up the works.

If done correctly, you will have a lock that won't open with a standard key, but will open for you by pulling out the key one "click." I actually had one person fiddle with the lock and unlocked it by pulling the key partway out. After that, my next lock removed *two* pins. That seemed to fix the problem by staying one ahead of the person who thinks they have it figured out.

An even cheaper way if you have access to a friend who can cut keys, is to simply have new keys made but offset the key in the "master" position by one notch (in, not out). Now you have the same key as before, but it'll only work if it's not fully inserted.

I had about five such keys made and after showing the lock opens with "your" key, switch it for one of the recut keys and dump them all in a bag or whatever, holding out the regular key. If you don't want them to examine the keys to see that one is different, skip this step and use all recut keys. Now, no switching of any kind is required. No matter what key they now choose, none will work but if the last person hands their key to you, you can open the lock easily with "their" key. It's all in the presentation. You don't want it to look like you can open the lock but they can't. Instead you want it to look like the one chosen person's key works where the other people's key won't. The subtlety is that you assist the last person in unlocking the lock.

This is a technical explanation for the do it yourselfer, not exactly "exposing" as I have no direct knowledge of whether or not this is exactly how certain marketed locks work.

Try it and see if it works for you. Even if it doesn't, the knowledge gained by dismantling the lock will help you to understand it better and might lead to better discoveries in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:22 am 
Penguin

I'd like it to still open with the original key.

My understanding was spirit locks would open with any key, including the original. I may be wrong about that.

I'll try asking on lockpicking forums. I just thought this was fairly common knowledge.

Where do I find the Cannons books?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:06 am 

www.cannonsgreatescapes.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:54 am 
Emperor Penguin

DaveV wrote:
www.cannonsgreatescapes.com

Thanks for posting the link already.

But ya, Cannons is the best place for escape equipment and books on the subject.
He is very friendly and helpful.

You will find all you need there.