View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:01 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
magicman845 wrote:
Does "Come in whenever you want" really constitute a job? Are you making a certain amount per hour or are you expected to live off of tips? Be very careful how you approach this because you might also alienate every other working magician in your area.

Kent

OK, I did try to be a good penguin but!!!!

He already has alienated enough of us here. It still amazes me that someone wants a job but has never even seen a working professional and has no idea of what the job entails.

When I see a post like this, where someone is not even bothering to do any research, my first thought is he is too dam lazy to do a good job so he is going to fail. Sorry, but asking on a forum is not considered research.

Christ, calm down dude. I came here to ask because I realize the majority ( if not all ) of you are pros and/or experienced restaurant magicians. For this reason, I thought I could ask a simple question the pros, could address, but posting your complaint does nothing. I simply asked 2 questions, and by posting them I would have settled for a 2 word answer for Christ's sake. Why get all worked up over something like this? And I never considered it research, it was more of a quick reference or guide, there's no better way to learn than from the best. But if I knew you would explode like that, I wouldn't have even bothered. So seriously bro, chill out, no need to get all worked up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:04 pm 
Penguin

PGoutis01 wrote:
sean_mh wrote:
Let me see, perhaps a future post will be something to help explain the situation, such as:

"Hey guys, I just got a job as a race car driver. I can start racing any time. Before I start, I'm going to go out and buy a car, and maybe a DVD on Learning To Drive"..... etc etc.

Does that sound about right? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sean

Maybe he should learn how to be a fire eater. Just buy the torch and some lighter fluid. I'm sure he'll figure it out.

phenomenal sir, do you write your own material? lol :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:07 pm 
Penguin

space_ghost15 wrote:
Magicmaniac1,
Hope your set's go well. Be prepared.
To answer your questions (yes I do work restaurants so I'm not talking out my ---)

1. I have over 30 effects that are suitable for restaurant table magic that get great reactions and I have mastered performing. Including classic chop cup, card to wallet and coins across. Now in a night I have 3 sets that I normally do with only about 3-4 effects. Each trick is stand alone so that I can stop at after any one effect and it would not ruin the routine (do to food coming or just entertaining and joking makes one effect take up the entire time your at a table). Your job is to be engaging and entertaining but to also get to every table in the restaurant. If they want to see magic or not they should know that there is a magician there.
Now during busy nights you might not be able to hit every table so sometimes I do a cards across type effect that gets more people involved or I angle my self so that another table can see the chop cup routine. You will learn these things as you go along or pick up this and that from DVD's and books. (note these are my opinions and should be taken as such).

2. Always dress one step above the wait staff. Normally try to match management or host/hostess. I dress in dress pants, dress shoes, shirt and tie with a fedora hat. But that’s my style.

Cheers,
Adam

THANK YOU!
I extremely appreicate your responce. These are the answers i was looking for. I appreciate you being honest and giving me your 2 cents about how to dress, and what to do ( routine wise ). Thank you again Adam!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:08 pm 
Penguin

Magicmaniac1 wrote:
Well... Yes! I am a published writer. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:11 pm 
Penguin

PGoutis01 wrote:
Magicmaniac1 wrote:
Well... Yes! I am a published writer. Thanks!

good to know and congrats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:35 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
Magicmaniac1 wrote:
I have pretty much got a job at a local busy restaurant. I have met the manager, and he said I can come in and perform whenever I'd like.

Magicmaniac1 wrote:
The manager told me I would recieve a hundred dollars, plus tips a night.

Do I understand this correctly?
You already have the job, which pays $100 a night, plus tips. AND you can decide to work whenever you feel like it?

I would work one night and then order some Card Wallets.

They're only 99 cents.

90 cents with the 10% discount.

For $100 you can get 110 card wallets. But I think 30 or so will be enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:32 pm 
Penguin

SmokingMonkey wrote:
Magicmaniac1 wrote:
I have pretty much got a job at a local busy restaurant. I have met the manager, and he said I can come in and perform whenever I'd like.

Magicmaniac1 wrote:
The manager told me I would recieve a hundred dollars, plus tips a night.

Do I understand this correctly?
You already have the job, which pays $100 a night, plus tips. AND you can decide to work whenever you feel like it?

Well he hasn't exactly decided which days I can work yet. At first he's allowing me to work whenever ( I was thinking something along the lines of Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday ). The best part is that he ( the manager ) is a easy going dude, as long as I can make his patrons happy, then he'll let anything go. I have met him several times, and his offer still stands, he hasn't changed the price, nor is he making me work on specific days, he's letting me work at my convience. However, I do realize that I shouldn't abuse this offer, and rest assured that I won't. I'm not going to work one day a week, then 3 the next week etc. I'm going to try to work out a schedule and stick to it.

BTW, one more question for you guys:
In your opinion, which DVD on this subject is better:
Real Work on Restaurants and Bars by Jay Sankey OR Live at the Jailhouse?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:06 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
I really don't think you're ready. I even tend to believe that you are lying (and/or exagerating) about a few facts. Basically, this opinion was formed when I read the following:

Magicmaniac1 wrote:
Christ, calm down dude. I came here to ask because I realize the majority ( if not all ) of you are pros and/or experienced restaurant magicians. For this reason, I thought I could ask a simple question the pros, could address, but posting your complaint does nothing. I simply asked 2 questions, and by posting them I would have settled for a 2 word answer for Christ's sake. Why get all worked up over something like this? And I never considered it research, it was more of a quick reference or guide, there's no better way to learn than from the best. But if I knew you would explode like that, I wouldn't have even bothered. So seriously bro, chill out, no need to get all worked up.

First problem, most people here aren't "pros". Most people here aren't even "pubes". I would even wager that there are many here who have never been to a real restaurant (McDonalds doesn't count) let alone having seen a real restaurant magician.

Second problem is your comment about "learning from the best". The best obviously aren't here. If you consider them "the best", you will be in for a big suprise.

Notice how I didn't say that you will lose your job. I don't actually believe you have the job, or at least the money aspect is incorrect.

In any case, good luck. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:26 am 
born to perform.

SmokingMonkey wrote:
Most people here aren't even "pubes".

:D

Yeah, sorry dude, I don't think you are ready. My advice? I would wait. Thanks the manager for the offer and the oppertunity, but say you are not going to take it yet, and ask him to keep the job open to you in the future.

Wait a few years (many think more) and prepare yourself for reteraunt work.

May I ask how long you have been performing magic? And how old you are?

I have been performing for 6 years, and was part of a magic club for a long time. I would consider myself nowhere NEAR ready for restaurant work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:08 pm 
Penguin

SmokingMonkey wrote:
I really don't think you're ready. I even tend to believe that you are lying (and/or exagerating) about a few facts. Basically, this opinion was formed when I read the following:

First problem, most people here aren't "pros". Most people here aren't even "pubes". I would even wager that there are many here who have never been to a real restaurant (McDonalds doesn't count) let alone having seen a real restaurant magician.

Second problem is your comment about "learning from the best". The best obviously aren't here. If you consider them "the best", you will be in for a big suprise.

Notice how I didn't say that you will lose your job. I don't actually believe you have the job, or at least the money aspect is incorrect.

In any case, good luck. :roll:

I didn't mean pros as in someone who makes millions on this type of work, a pro to me is someone who has experience, and who actually works at restaurants or bars.

And let me ask YOU ( SmokingMonkey ) something, do YOU work restaurants?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:15 pm 
Penguin

fspigeon wrote:
SmokingMonkey wrote:
Most people here aren't even "pubes".

:D

Yeah, sorry dude, I don't think you are ready. My advice? I would wait. Thanks the manager for the offer and the oppertunity, but say you are not going to take it yet, and ask him to keep the job open to you in the future.

Wait a few years (many think more) and prepare yourself for reteraunt work.

May I ask how long you have been performing magic? And how old you are?

I have been performing for 6 years, and was part of a magic club for a long time. I would consider myself nowhere NEAR ready for restaurant work.

Partial B_Slap for language...watch it.

You guys really know how to bum someone out...

This job would have been so good, instead, I'm told that I shouldn't go along with it. Not exactly the recommendation I was looking for.

And I'm 17, and have been doing magic for 12, nearly 13 years.

Finally, I'm just going to buy books and DVD's that deal with the subject, getting a crash course on the subject. Stuff by Sankey, and perhaps the Jailhouse video. They might have the information I need. They are who Smoking Monkey means as Pros, or whatever he means.

Last edited by Magicmaniac1 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:22 am 

Magicmaniac1 wrote:

You've been a magician since you were four years old?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:11 am 
Penguin

Magicmaniac1,
I own both Real Work on Restaurants and Bars and Live at the Jailhouse, among others.
If you are looking at those dvd's then good for you. Both are very good. Sankeys I feel has more effects while Jailhouse has more info from a gorup of diffrent magicians.

Always remember when watching those DVD's or speaking to people on the message boards that there are many ways to work the restaurant and many diffrent topics of discussion. Be a sponge, absorb what every one says. From the performers on the dvd's to the local SAM or IBM club members, even the nice (some) people here on the message boards of Penguin. Take all of that info in and use it to shape YOUR routines and attitude towards performing at a restaurant. People seem stand by a specific idea like its the only one that could possibly work and every one else is stupid. Foolish. Be flexiable and open to all ideas and opinions. Just because one person says excepting tips is like begging does not mean that its not for you. Just because one person says that card to mouth is dumb in a restaurant setting does not mean that you can't do it in your setting.
Last but not least, Good Luck.

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:21 pm 
Penguin

B_Magic wrote:
Magicmaniac1 wrote:

You've been a magician since you were four years old?

Sure have, started with Ball and vase and pretty much everything else in those little Magic sets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:24 pm 
Penguin

space_ghost15 wrote:
Magicmaniac1,
I own both Real Work on Restaurants and Bars and Live at the Jailhouse, among others.
If you are looking at those dvd's then good for you. Both are very good. Sankeys I feel has more effects while Jailhouse has more info from a gorup of diffrent magicians.

Always remember when watching those DVD's or speaking to people on the message boards that there are many ways to work the restaurant and many diffrent topics of discussion. Be a sponge, absorb what every one says. From the performers on the dvd's to the local SAM or IBM club members, even the nice (some) people here on the message boards of Penguin. Take all of that info in and use it to shape YOUR routines and attitude towards performing at a restaurant. People seem stand by a specific idea like its the only one that could possibly work and every one else is stupid. Foolish. Be flexiable and open to all ideas and opinions. Just because one person says excepting tips is like begging does not mean that its not for you. Just because one person says that card to mouth is dumb in a restaurant setting does not mean that you can't do it in your setting.
Last but not least, Good Luck.

Cheers,
Adam

Thank you sir, I sincerely appreciate the superb detailed information. And thanks for the encouragement, finally, I have hope :wink: .