View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: email
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:14 pm 
Penguin

if you were going to email a restaurant to see if they have any interest in a magician what would you say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:18 pm 
born to perform.

I wouldn't email, it's more meaningful if you go up there and ask.

(thats just me)

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:11 pm 
born to perform.

Do not...I repeat...DO NOT email anyone asking them if they're iinterested. ALWAYS go to the restaurant in person. I highly recommend calling first and getting the General Manager's name and a good time to talk to him. And remember, don't just sell your magic...sell the benefits of having you there. If the restaurant can't or won't benefit from your entertainment...you won't get the job. The restaurant is going to know what you can do for THEM. Not what they can do for YOU. Tell them how your services can benefit their business.

good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:27 pm 
Penguin

I'm not against starting with a sales letter. A letter is a bit more personal and is less likely to be thrown out. But always do a following up call to make sure they received it and to sell yourself and set up a meeting.

Post subject: Re: email
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:33 pm 

harry54 wrote:
if you were going to email a restaurant to see if they have any interest in a magician what would you say.

Good idea!!! I disagree with the others and think you should email the restaurants in your area. Give them a resume of your prior restaurant entertaining experience and how much you charge.

Now notice his capitalization, or lack of it. That should make an impression on the managers, a bad one, but an impression. Also it will help the real magicians who know how to get a job when the managers see someone who is to lazy to do it right.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:54 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:

Good idea!!! I disagree with the others and think you should email the restaurants in your area. Give them a resume of your prior restaurant entertaining experience and how much you charge.

Paddy, paddy, paddy....PLEASE tell me this is meant to be sarcastic. You, of all people, should know better than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:38 pm 
born to perform.

Read the second part of his post. It'll explain the section you quoted.

Paddy, you have always been my favorite.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:50 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
paddy wrote:

Welcome to the dark side, Luke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:00 am 

AS pointed out, read the second paragraph. Yes I was being sarcastic in the first. Emailing the restaurants is so completely lazy it would kill his chance of ever working. Also note that he doesn't capitalize and uses the pronoun for self as "i" instead of "I." Sorry but e. e. cummings does not do the interviews anyplace that I know of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:20 am 
born to perform.

I read both paragraphs. And yes, I recognize when Paddy's being sarcastic. My question regarding that was more of a rhetorical one, people. :roll: I agree with you, Paddy. Nobody wants to hit the streets and bust their humps anymore to try to earn anything. It seems like most people want to try the easy way, and when it doesn't work, they wonder why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:12 am 
Penguin

i am only emailing the restaurants to see if they are interested. and i dont use good grammar or punctuation in the forum cause it doesnt matter. thanks for the sarcasm paddy it would be nice if you could just give me some advice intsted of being a jerk about it and making me look like an idiot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:21 am 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
Actually, paddy would say that to just about anyone using bad grammar and punctuation, because it does matter. Your writing, especially in this forum, tells a lot about you.

He did give you advice. It's there in his sarcasm. And he didn't make you look like an idiot................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:24 am 
born to perform.

How does it possibly not matter? You're seeking our help, but can't be bothered to use proper grammar? It does matter here, because we can only form our opinions of you by what you type, and at the moment you aren't making a good first impression.

In response to the original query, I'd say a phone call to the manager would be more personal and professional than an email. If they are interested, then an in-person meeting should be the next step. Also, make sure you go to the restaurant a few times just to get a feel for the place, so you aren't going in blind for your interview.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:02 pm 
born to perform.

The only phone call you should make is to set an appointment with the General Manager. Do not ask them over the phone if they're interested. That makes it WAY too easy for them to say no. Set an appointment with the GM, then go and make your pitch. The best time to catch the manager is usually between 2pm and 4pm...in between the lunch rush and dinner hours. Any other time will be a great inconvenience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:52 pm 
born to perform.

Oh I'm sorry I worded my post wrong. I meant make a phone call, then "If they are AVAILABLE..." not interested. MichalAngelo is right.