View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How much to buy, when; some advice.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:46 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I am not sure how to really start this off, but this is a piece of advice from me and a lesson from my father.

Lately I have been seeing a lot of posts from people asking about what they should buy; ranging from people with money to spend or because they just want the newest effect or think that they will be better for buying many effects.

Its NOT need, its just not. Rather than buying every new effect, gimmick or dvd; work on what you have. Learn what you have and get it down at the very least halfway decently- method, performance, and presentation- before even thinking about buying a new thing.

If you have 3 great books, and “don’t have the time to learn them all wellâ€

Last edited by DavidTheCryptic on Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:29 pm 
Penguin

8) I know a lot of people here are going to get offended and look at your post the wrong way. Its nice to see you trying to help anyway. I too like many here made the mistake of buying so much worthless crap! Its been about 9 years since I started, and now I find myself entertaining people for hours with a two dollar pack of cards and a few ungimmicked coins. No use for a raven, scotch & soda, or even an invisible deck. By the way, I have even learned a way to do an effect similar to the Invisible deck with out it. Everything starts out the same but you only carry one card on you, instead of the whole invisible deck. PAVEL!!!

I know its cool to buy the latest thing, but in the end you will have to develop your own style and find your own path.
I hope know one takes offense or thinks that We adre Know-It-Alls, to tell you the truth I would love to run into some of you younger guys performing some of these cool new effects. In my 9 years of magic I've only run into about 3 other magicians... outside of Vegas.
Good Luck Guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:38 pm 
born to perform.

Very nice post, DavidTheCryptic.

I agree with you on everything there, but this post should be meant for only those who complain or don't practice enough. I assume it already is, but let me explain more.

One of the greatest things about magic is that every performer has total freedom of what to perform, how to perform it, and when and where. Not many other professions or hobbies are like that. So, every magician should have the right to buy whatever they want, but only if they can perform it adequatley enough to maintain the illusion of magic. It always disappoints me when i read posts about people who bought effects that they don't use and they just sit there and collect dust. Any trick can be adapted to a performance, or if it's not a good trick itself, it could probably be bumped up a notch with a little creative thinking.

So just because someone buys a new, fresh gimmick doesn't mean they abandon everything else. Even if you don't include a number of tricks in shows, it still doesnt mean you wont perform them walking around.

To everyone that has the amount of respect and love for magic as DavidTheCryptic, please keep up the good work.

To everyone who complains and doesn't practice, HEED THIS MAN'S WORDS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:29 pm 
born to perform.

I think this is very good advice. About a week and a half ago, (my last purchase) I set my own rule that I would not spend any more on my magic untill I have performed 85%-90% of my tricks and effects at least 3-5 times including ONLY ONE for my family. That way I can see what kind of reactions different people get to different types of effects. I want to thank you DavidTheCryptic for this wonderful peice of advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:32 pm 
born to perform.

I'd also like to add another saying: "Finish what you have started."

It may seem short and cheesy but follow this and if oyu don't later on, you may regret it like me. I have tricks that I got and never liked, now I have learned to appreciate it and perform them because that's what the spectators like to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:00 pm 
born to perform.

Location: President of the davidcon fan club. (Always welcoming new members)
Very good advice, and you proved your point well. You should post this in the Essay section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:05 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read and comment.

(p.s. jared and i decided that i should post it here.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:00 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I believe this is a good time to bump this up...

I have seen a lot of posts and questions and complaints that this could help with, or at least explain.

I will finally be adding more too it. (Actually I have already added a little bit).

The "moral" here is: "Not how much information you have, but what you do with that information".

If you buy tons of books, but only take a glimpse or skim them, your not reaching the full potential.
If you fully read the book, but dont take the time to really read and truely understand the book. Its a waste.

You can brag all you want about how many gimmicks and books and dvds you have. But that doesnt not make you a magician. ITs harnessing whats in those medians, and turning them into entertainment that does the "trick".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:00 pm 
Penguin

Very good advice DavidTheCryptic.

I have to admit, out of my two years of experience in magic (I know I've got a lot to learn), I used to be one of those kids who bought an item, found out the effect, maybe tried it once, then left it alone on the shelf. I'm glad to say that I'm not anymore, and I think this is a good little rule, that I will for sure be following.

In fact, I'm starting mentalism, and I have 13 Steps to Mentalism first on my list, and I will be sure to read it throughly over and over again until I'm reading to move on.

But, I don't want to drag on, so all I have to say is very good advice, and thanks for the great rule.

--Pat