View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Drawn Apart by Chase Hubler
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:32 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Drawn Apart by Chase Hubler

Effect:

The Magician draws a stick figure on a business card. The spectator signs the card and then strange things start to happen. The magician, using unknown powers, causes the head of the stick figure to move about the card. The head is moved untill it's seen to rest at the bottom of the card, by the figure's feet. The card is then handed out for inspection, and the spectator faints, as there is no signs of mischievious doings.

Method and Gimmick:

Method
The method in which to accomplish this effect is an old idea, brought back to life by Chase. I was wondering how they could accomplish this effect, and once I watched the instructional video, I was dumbfounded as to how easy it really is.

Gimmick
The gimmick is actually pretty clever. I was wondering what the gimmick was, and if it was different from a similar effect. It is different. The similar effect is Don't Lose Your Head by Alan Rorrison. I made a review for it as well, and it can be read here. http://penguinmagic.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=118894

The gimmick can be made for around 5 dollars American, plus business cards. The gimmick is reusable for a period of time, and resets instantly.

Variations:

There are endless possibilities, once you know the secret. Here I will go over some of the variations taught on the video.

Corny Pickup
Magician writes the alphabet on a 3X5 card, has a spectator of the opposite sex write their name and possibly their phone number on the card. The love struck magician then tells the spectator that he is going to do the impossible, and that is make him and the spectator a couple or something cheesy like that. The magician then takes the "U" and the "I" from the letters and moves them to the center of the card, bringing "U" and "I" together!!!!!!!!!

I like this variation as it makes for good, if not cheap, laughs. I will definately try this one out as a gag or a running joke with someone, who knows.

Contorting Caricature
The magician draws a stick figure on a business card. The spectator signs the card and then strange and weird things happen. The magician takes the figure and distorts it, piece by piece. First he adds a third leg to the figure, then he makes his arm move. Next, he takes the head off the figure and moves it about the card. All can be examined after the effect.

I wasn't impressed too much by this one. It really isn't my style, but I am sure it will fit right into someone's routine nicely.

Original Handling
Here Jesse teaches you how to do Chase's original handling of the effect. Not much is different from the effect described at the beginning, except for the handling. The handling is a bit different on this one.

2D Multiplying Rabbits
This is my favorite on the video.
The Magician draws an assistant, which is a man wearing a top hat. The magician patters on about the classic rabbit from the hat effect. He then moves the assistants hat and underneath it is a rabbit on top of the assistants head. The magician then turns the card over to show it to the spectator and a Sponge Rabbit falls out of the card into the spectators hand!!!!!
As I said before, this one is a keeper. Once I get a Sponge 3D Rabbit, I will be adding this one to my arsenal.

Those are just a few of the variations taught on the video. Some of the effects are repetitive and are very similar, but will suit some people just fine.

Instructional Video
Ok this is the part where I get harsh. The video, while explaining alot, was very very very boring. The video is an hour and a half, and it drags. The first teaching, that teaches you how to make the gimmick is around 20 minutes or so. This part could have been done in around five to ten minutes. Each variation then goes back into detail about how to make the gimmick for each variation, leading into more wasted time. Overall, the teaching isnt bad, as they do explain everything you need to do each variation. Jesse, Jake and Vlad all teach in the video. I found Vlad to be the most exciting, and I believe he will play the next Count Dracula if another movie is made. It is half in black and white, and half in color. The transitions are random, and when in black and white, it is hard to see the cards.

Overall:

If you are looking for something that will leave an impression, get this. There are so many possibilities once you know the secret to this, that you could make a religion. Even if you don't like the effects in the video, you could use the knowledge learned to make your own routines, or effects. I already have a few ideas of my own on what I want to do with this. I am satisfied with the product, and will use it on a regular basis.

Pros:

very visual
Easy to setup and do
No angle problems on most of the effects
instant reset
one effect allows you to borrow a piece of paper
you end clean

Cons:
Boring instructional video

The effect can be purchased at http://www.imperfect-reality.com/imperf ... apart.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:49 am 
born to perform.

Awesome review. PLUS this trick looks like a great way to hand out business cards!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:01 pm 
Emperor Penguin

It is a good way to hand them out. But like I said in the review, even if you don't like the effects, you learn something that will get your creative mind thinking, and you will come up with your own effects using the gimmick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:14 pm 
born to perform.

that coin thru light bulb looks sweet

Great in depth review btw!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:21 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:04 am 
Penguin

I was waiting for that trick there a good time ago - when I saw it for the first time (months before the release in the youtube - I thought it excellent)....

I also bought the download as soon as it was available (1:20h of video)... The magic is very good, but the video really leaves to want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:41 am 
Emperor Penguin

Nice review, I see that you are doing them quite often now. It looks like a decent effect, and I am surprised that this is not on DVD, or not being sold by more retailers. Any idea why? Is it only available by this site? I am not one to download ID's, as I prefer to order DVDs/CDs from reputable, and long-term dealers.

Some sites like to market products to a select/niche market, but others were simply rejects due to the lack of a quality product. Sometimes it is tough to decipher which is correct. I like the concept however, as I am also one who enjoys the animation of inanimate objects. I also love cartoon 2, cardiographic, and one-car garage. Although one could burn it to DVD, I think for the price it would be well worth putting it on DVD, and less hassle.

I also find it annoying when sites such as these limit you to just one payment method, usually the fastest and easiest for them, not the consumer. These types of sites set off alarms due to past bad experiences that I have seen others go through, which is why I do not bother with them. But I am not sure if this is the only place that sells this, but I have not seen it on any other shops yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:58 am 
Emperor Penguin

As far as I know, the only way to get it is through the instant download. The price is pretty steep for an ID, and like said before, the video is extremely boring. What is worth the price is the gimmick. It can be used for so many applications.

Check out Alan Rorrison's work on this too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:49 pm 
Penguin

Love this effect. 10/10 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:39 pm 
Penguin

Wow, this effect is amazing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:22 pm 
Penguin

wow, that's awesome. It's a little pricey, so I will probably get it later.