View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Do you think restaurant magician is a good first job for a 16 year old?
yes 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
no 69%  69%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: Need some help before I start out
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:37 pm 
born to perform.

Hey you all Im turing 16 soon and my parents are saying that I need to get a job some where. So ima chose restaurant walkaround magic. But like any other magician you cant just walk around and do tricks and seem to get paid.

So im asking you all "restaurant magicians" for some help before I start.

I have a assassin pouch like where I can carry loads of things (cards, two dollar window,coins,TT,pen thur dollar, super sharpie, normal mini sharpie,ballons, small silks, earplugs sponges) That will be good for carring around while doing restaurant magic.

Then I have heard that it is good to ask the manager if you could perform next week or something (not the day you ask him but anyother day coming up).

Here are some good tricks I have heard and seen that are good for Restaurant magic that I have so far:

1.Cards
2.Pen thru dollar
3.card on celling
4.coins (dissapering coin)
5.two dollar window
6.Airtight
7.TT
8.earplugs
9.card to wallet
10.Three card monta
11.Three donamo monta
12.Poker chips change color tops
13.color chaing ball to jumbo square
14.greed

(PLEASE PUT SOME I HAVE NOT GOTTEN SO I CAN GET THEM THANKS

I have a tux that looks alright for a dinner restaurant like outback,chillies, and others like that.

I have been praticing my maners outside of my house, like at restaurant, stores, and my school. I all so have been praticing if I do bomb a trick how to cover myself and keep going on with the performance.

Thanks for reading and please just me some advice for you all "restaurant walkaround magicians".

Thanks again,

MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:40 pm 
born to perform.

sorry for the 2 post something happend to my wireless and it must of posted it twice.

MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:26 pm 

No. You are in no way ready to work as a restaurant entertainer. Your post proves this beyond any doubt at all. To list the reasons serialatum (Latin look it up)
First: "Hey you all Im turing 16 soon and my parents are saying that I need to get a job some where. So ima chose restaurant walkaround magic. But like any other magician you cant just walk around and do tricks and seem to get paid. "

These misspellings and ungrammatical phrases make you appear too immature. You don't know how to use spell check and you don't take the time to proofread your post. Just from this it leads one to believe that you are too lazy to be able to perform.

Second: The list of your material is all gimmicks with the exceptions of cards, card to wallet, and thumb tip. You seem to think that the tricks make you a magician. Restaurants don't want magicians, they want ENTERTAINERS. You have to perform effects not just do tricks.

Take some time, go to your local ring and assembly meetings and talk to other magicians. They can help you more than we can. BTW. google the IBM and SAM websites to find your local meeting times and contacts.

Last edited by paddy on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:54 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:

These misspellings and ungrammatical phrases make you appear too immature. You don't know how to use spell check and you don't t6ake the time to proofread your post. Just from this it leads one to believe that you are too lazy to be able to perform.

Umm first of all Why don't you learn some grammer and spelling....

Second: The list of your material is all gimmicks with the exceptions of cards, card to wallet, and thumb tip. You seem to think that the tricks make you a magician. Restaurants don't want magicians, they want ENTERTAINERS. You have to perform effects not just do tricks.
And I have more than these tricks im not limiting myself with these tricks

take some time, go to your local ring and assembly meetings and talk to other magicians. They can help you more than we can. BTW. google the IBM and SAM websites to find your local meeting times and contacts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:04 pm 
Penguin

That is how you spell proofread...I am in no way experienced in jobs or anything, but I am pretty sure that it will increase you chance of getting hired if you have a record of past jobs. Then you can start working there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:18 pm 

Mr "genius," yes you did catch me with a "big finger" on the "t6ake." However "proofread" is spelled "proofread," just like I had it spelled. I stand by what I said. You found one typo in my post. I found, in yours, 5 errors in the first sentence. Major difference.

To carry on with my critique:
Quote:
So im asking you all "restaurant magicians" for some help before I start.
I have a assassin pouch like where I can carry loads of things (cards, two dollar window,coins,TT,pen thur dollar, super sharpie, normal mini sharpie,ballons, small silks, earplugs sponges) That will be good for carring around while doing restaurant magic.
Then I have heard that it is good to ask the manager if you could perform next week or something (not the day you ask him but anyother day coming up)...I have a tux that looks alright for a dinner restaurant like outback,chillies, and others like that.
I have been praticing my maners outside of my house, like at restaurant, stores, and my school. I all so have been praticing if I do bomb a trick how to cover myself and keep going on with the performance.
Then you again list gimmicks and no real magic. As I said if you want a job, learn to perform not just do tricks. And again, it is your post that gives the very bad impression of you. If you were to perform with the carelessness of what this post shows, you will fail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:41 pm 
born to perform.

lol paddy im jsut missing with ya not being hateful though but thanks =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:26 am 
born to perform.

Grammatical errors aside, Paddy is correct. You aren't ready to perform in a restaurant. I don't care if you are not "limiting yourself to those tricks." The mere fact that those are the first ones you listed obviously implies those are the ones you know best. If I made a list of effects I was going to perform, I sure as edited wouldn't put effects that I don't know on the list; I would put ones that I knew well and that's obviously what you did.

It seems like you are just imitating what you perceive to be is the right way to get a job doing magic. And sure, you could go and you might actually get a job. But trust me, you'd get fired pretty quickly and that restaurant would NEVER hire another magician again and you wouldn't completely ruin any experienced magician's chances at landing a job there. I took years to practice and perfect my style before even attempting to start restaurant work. I don't go into the restaurant and simply do magic - I entertain the patrons with my personality by means of using magic. You can't expect to go in, do some gimmicks, and keep the job. Keep at it a few more years and maybe do some free shows here and there but PLEASE do not venture into restaurant magic. It is a SERIOUS job and many many magicians make their LIVINGS off of restaurant magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:21 am 
Penguin

Must agree with Streetwolf and Paddy here.
Get a job at a fast food place or the mall for now. Hey thats what I did.

Continue to practice your presentation and performance skills (i really don't care about the spelling errors).

As for referance material. Here is some suggestions.
Live at the Jail House (not for the tricks but for the info on working in reasturants)
The Real Work on Reasturants and Bars by Jay Sankey
Paul Wilson's The Restaurant Act
And Jim Pace's The Restaurant Worker's Handbook

Also see if there is a reasturant magician in your area that performs and check him out. See if he is nice enough to sit down with your for 10-15 minutes to talk about his gig. Visit you local SAM or IBM meetings and see if some other magicians in your area can give you some pointers and assistance.

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:43 am 
Penguin

Quote:
Visit you local SAM or IBM meetings and see if some other magicians in your area can give you some pointers and assistance

Definetely find your local IBM... they will improve your magic by leaps and bounds.

I don't know if it's just me, but I tend to think anybody that lists a bunch of tricks and says "am I ready to perform?"... is NOT ready.

If you are entertaining, professional and can handle the business side of the entertainment industry... you are ready no matter what your material is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:08 am 
Penguin

Chub,
I aggree 100 percent.
I saw a performer at a reasturant compleatly wow the tables with
Magic Stop Light Cards
Color Changing Silk
A deck of cards (doing a nice but easy 2 card monte and a signed card to wallet)
Sponge Balls
and
a TT and Silk.

Some very basic stuff but the enitre place, from kids to adults loved him. He was maybe 25-26 years old. I watched him entertain the entire place and was just floored by his performace. Every effect became more about the fun time everyone was having and not the simple effect at all. Yet the more people laughed and cheered the more they were blown away by the simplest effects.

I walked out of that resturant (now 7 or 8 years ago) compleatly mesmerized and new that it was truly not the effects that a magician does its the performace. This magician took some basic tricks and made them appear like tru feats of magic with people actually standing and applauding him as he left their table. Just increadible.
On the way home I just thought to my self, "I can do way better tricks then that but man do I have ALOT to learn about performing".