View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Do you think restaurant magician is a good first job for a 16 year old?
yes 50%  50%  [ 9 ]
no 50%  50%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 18
 Post subject: Need some help before I start out
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:39 pm 
born to perform.

sorry for the other post of the same. Something happen to my wireless and must of posted it twice.

Please regard this one.

( dont post on this one but on other thanks)

Thanks

MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:02 pm 
Penguin

k now for some real tips basically a reastraunt magicians packs small I am talking no extra gimmicks. You need the bear assentials which means a lot of sleight of hand. get 3-5 powerfull 3 trick routines the reason I do three is because there is a beginning a middle and a powerful closer. the reason you need three different routines is because when you one routine for a table other tables tend to watch, then you need somthing different to do for them so they dont go throught the same routine 2 times. I prefer flashy tricks real eye catchers, dont just do cards it will get old fast. mabey 1 card trick, and a coin, and mentalism trick to top it off. if you dont have that much material then you can double up on the card tricks but make sure you throw in at least one thing different. sleight of hand is your friend because it cant break gimmicks tend to break or get lost, which can ruin your night if your routine relys on them. always bring at least one thing for the kiddys, TT, sponge balls, small magic coloring book. parents love it and everyones happy. pack some buisness cards because restraunt gigs will get you a lot of job offers. now since you dont have a case or table pocket space is esential, so make sure you pack light. here is what I bring!

-2 decks of cards(incase you loose a card, or the whole deck)
-2 sharpies(a lot of tricks rely on these and I use it as a makeshift wand)
-sponge balls, and mini sponges(for adults, and kiddys)
-6 half dollars a dime and 2 pennys(my coin routines)
-3 rubber bands(wear on wrist and I have a whole routine with em)
-pk ring
-small peice of rope, 1 foot long coiled in the breast pocket(closer)
-small pad of paper(for billit reading mentalism stuff)

Occasionally if I have a table to work of of I will pack:
-a chop cup
-some loops,
-pen through bill

any way key thing to remember is be nice not everyone wants to see a trick, pack light, and have your routines DOWN!

good luck hope that little guide helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:24 pm 
born to perform.

grahamcracker wrote:
k now for some real tips basically a reastraunt magicians packs small I am talking no extra gimmicks. You need the bear assentials which means a lot of sleight of hand. get 3-5 powerfull 3 trick routines the reason I do three is because there is a beginning a middle and a powerful closer. the reason you need three different routines is because when you one routine for a table other tables tend to watch, then you need somthing different to do for them so they dont go throught the same routine 2 times. I prefer flashy tricks real eye catchers, dont just do cards it will get old fast. mabey 1 card trick, and a coin, and mentalism trick to top it off. if you dont have that much material then you can double up on the card tricks but make sure you throw in at least one thing different. sleight of hand is your friend because it cant break gimmicks tend to break or get lost, which can ruin your night if your routine relys on them. always bring at least one thing for the kiddys, TT, sponge balls, small magic coloring book. parents love it and everyones happy. pack some buisness cards because restraunt gigs will get you a lot of job offers. now since you dont have a case or table pocket space is esential, so make sure you pack light. here is what I bring!

-2 decks of cards(incase you loose a card, or the whole deck)
-2 sharpies(a lot of tricks rely on these and I use it as a makeshift wand)
-sponge balls, and mini sponges(for adults, and kiddys)
-6 half dollars a dime and 2 pennys(my coin routines)
-3 rubber bands(wear on wrist and I have a whole routine with em)
-pk ring
-small peice of rope, 1 foot long coiled in the breast pocket(closer)
-small pad of paper(for billit reading mentalism stuff)

Occasionally if I have a table to work of of I will pack:
-a chop cup
-some loops,
-pen through bill

any way key thing to remember is be nice not everyone wants to see a trick, pack light, and have your routines DOWN!

good luck hope that little guide helps

that was actually very good advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:52 pm 
Penguin

thank you very much i am a bit new here but dont worry the advice comes from experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:03 pm 
born to perform.

yes thanks gramcracker for the advice!

MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:47 pm 
Penguin

ok i am 16 looking for a restaurant job. i have many card tricks my card trick routins consist of ambitiouse card truimp the pass(with the back rooms in gambling and it finished off with the onehanded pass) i no almost everything to card magic. do you guys think humming bird card is good to do in a restaurant. i also have many TT tricks and i have sponge balls. i have about 20 minutes of good stuff is this enough? if not what else should i consider learning or getting. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:09 pm 

harry54 wrote:
ok I am 16 looking for a restaurant job. I have many card tricks my card trick routins consist of ambitiouse card truimp the pass(with the back rooms in gambling and it finished off with the onehanded pass) I no almost everything to card magic. do you guys think humming bird card is good to do in a restaurant. I also have many TT tricks and I have sponge balls. I have about 20 minutes of good stuff is this enough? if not what else should I consider learning or getting. thanks

The bold sentence doesn't make sense. First of all to translate it to English what you wrote is "I negative almost everything TO (I think you mean "in") card magic."

No you don't know anything about card magic. It take YEARS of practice to get good enough at cards to do anything. You are 16, don't even think of trying to be a performer. Stay in school and learn English first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:26 pm 
Penguin

im sure a lot of people are going to agree with me. im sick of all people on this forum who think that they no everything and are so smart about magic and all they do is give people no encouragement and the give them negative comments. its annoying and im sick of it. and dont take everything so litteral obviously i dont no everything but i know more than the average magician on card magic. is that better for you paddy grow up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:44 pm 
born to perform.

harry54 wrote:
im sure a lot of people are going to agree with me. im sick of all people on this forum who think that they no everything and are so smart about magic and all they do is give people no encouragement and the give them negative comments. its annoying and im sick of it. and dont take everything so litteral obviously I dont no everything but I know more than the average magician on card magic. is that better for you paddy grow up.

Seeing as Paddy is one of the most respected magicians on this forum, I'm going to stick up for him. I planned on replying to your post anyways. First off, Paddy is a PROFESSIONAL magician. That means he makes INCOME off of Magic. So saying he 'doesnt no nothing' would be a stretch by any part of the imagination.

Secondly, as he mentioned, you are 16. You don't know everything about card magic. You MIGHT know more than the average magician. MIGHT. You shouldn't risk your job at a restaurant (as well as any other magician's) on a 'might'. If you have to ask if you are ready, then you aren't. If you have to ask if the Hummingbird Card is good for table hopping, you aren't ready.

Lastly, about people not giving any 'good advice'. The reason that people don't give encouragement is because people like you don't seem to take ADVICE. Paddy gave fine advice in his post, and you respond telling him to grow up and not to take things so literal (the term you were looking for was actually 'literally'). There is an obvious line between the professionals and mature people on this board, and the immature people. If you are notably rude, then none of the more 'helpful' people are going to go out of their way to help you.

And I'd like to see a poll as to who is 'sick' of the advice. Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean it isn't good advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:12 pm 
Emperor Penguin

harry54 wrote:
im sure a lot of people are going to agree with me. im sick of all people on this forum who think that they no everything and are so smart about magic and all they do is give people no encouragement and the give them negative comments. its annoying and im sick of it. and dont take everything so litteral obviously I dont no everything but I know more than the average magician on card magic. is that better for you paddy grow up.
First, I want to say I agree with what Fatal said, and what Paddy said.

Paddy is well respected on this forum because he knows what he's talking about. You, on the other hand, have shown time and time again that you're an ignorant little child.
If you actually read through this forum, you will a lot of helpful advice, even if it comes through sarcasm. It's because of people like you that sarcasm is used. Many people get sick of little punks like you who think they are a gift to magic. When in reality, they really have no idea what they are talking about, and aren't even skilled. So before you start running your mouth, take a little time to think about what you're saying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:13 pm 
Penguin

wow falling blood you obviously didnt get what i was saying and im a better magician than you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:22 pm 
born to perform.

harry54 wrote:
wow falling blood you obviously didnt get what I was saying and im a better magician than you.

Is this really how you want to present yourself? You're presenting yourself as a pompous 16 year old who won't take anyone's advice, and insulting them all along the way.

I highly doubt you are a better magician than fallingblood, and even so, why does it matter? Many great magicians are great because of their personalities and their abilities to make something SEEM magical. Eugene Berger is a very famous (and great) magician, and he has performed sets consisting of entirely self working tricks. Sure, he can do sleight of hand, but his self working effects seem JUST as magical.

But of course, I'm sure you're much better than him, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:33 pm 
Emperor Penguin

harry54 wrote:
wow falling blood you obviously didnt get what I was saying and im a better magician than you.
Before you run your mouth off like that, you better make sure you know what you're talking about. I'm not going to get into an arguement on whether or not I'm better at magic then you, because it's pointless. Like Fatal said, you're presenting yourself as a pompous 16 year old. I just can't wait until your attitude catches up with you and you're shown just how ignorant you really are.

And if you really are so much better then me as a magician, prove it, or shut the edited up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:05 pm 
Penguin

i agree with paddy and fallingblood about harry54......he is stupid........i am also 16 and i know that there are magicians out there that are 10 times better than me.......i also know that i may not be ready for a restaurnt job i am doing my magic everywhere to get that good........i think that i ask decent questions.....but i could be wrong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:18 pm 
born to perform.

Yes, I agree with paddy, fatal, and fallingblood about henry, he obviously doesn't know what he is talking about, which shows by his repeated arrogant posts. I respect all of you guys and love to hear what you guys have to offer. I'm also 16 as well and have been doing magic for about 3 yrs. now and I know I'm not ready for a restaurant job just yet. For right now, I'm comfortable just doing close up and parlor shows for my family and church, which I have another one coming up very soon.