View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: For you all that want to become Restaurant Magicians..
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:37 am 
born to perform.

O.K. Here is all the info I got over the past months!

I Hope it helps you like it helped me!

What tricks? You need tricks that require no set-up or just 10 sec's set-up that way you can get to your next table faster and do more magic for everyone in the restaurant at the time. I got alot of slights (card magic) and alot of coin magic as well. You can have some other pros but make sure they are small and light weight so you can carry more small pros with you and not have alot on you. You need to know where is where, which trick is where. Take your time while your performing and be ready if a heckler comes just move to the other side of the table if he begins to bother you. Let the spectator interact in the magic make them feel and touch and hold the pros and relate it to THIER lives.

I do recommend Live at the jailhouse - a guild to restaurant magic It may seem like alot of money but everytime I asked what is a good dvd or trick for Restaurant Magic it came down to Live at the Jailhouse. Please get it and you'll love it for ever! I took notes on the dvd for myself to study. It does over everything you'll need to know about Restaurant magic. Please get it I cant stress this enough!

GET IT NOW!!! IT SEEMS LIKE ALOT OF MONEY BUT ITS WORTH IT!!!!

Live at the Jailhouse goes over waht you should wear at different Restaurants and thats a good part because it makes alot of since. It also tells you what different types of people are in a Restaurant and thats a key factor in Restaurant magic.

Do you need to wear Badges? Its p to you and the manager. If you see the other staff wearing one I think you will need one. Its all up to you and the manager. Make sure you ask the Manager if you'll be needing one or does he give you one.

I'm starting Restaurant Magic for 3 reason's:

1: To pratice on Performing infront of people.
2: To make more busniess (Parties and birthdays)
3: To get paid so I can buy a car/other tricks

You should do this either as a part-time job if you're doing it for other busniess if not then you should do it full time job.

You should always have at least 3-5 mins. worth of tricks and 2-3 sets of tricks. Switch up the tricks so when a table begins to look and see what happens they will want to see THAT trick they saw but you will show them another and make them feel speical too. Make every table feel speical like they are the only ones who got a trick that no one else saw.

Talk clearly and treat everyone like a team and family. You are their for the Restaurant not for yourself. You are their to make the Restaurant popular and make the people come back.

Well there you go that should start you all into Restaurant magic! Hope you get something out of this like I did.

-MagicTay

P.S let me know how I did =D and feel free to ask questions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:30 am 
born to perform.

Location: President of Cool People Clique-now accepting applications
And make sure you never interrupt peoples meals. Only go to a table that is waiting for their meal. And if it shows up early, don't keep them waiting, let them eat and move on to your next table!

-Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:09 pm 
Penguin

Also don't do anything that would offend the guest. For example don't do geek magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:02 am 
Penguin

thats great info. i've been doin' cardtricks an alittle bit other. and i was seriously consitering start at reastaurents. now i really want to buy this dvd: live at jailhouse. :D Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:40 pm 
Penguin

Just a little humor. I like how this thread was started by someone who's never worked at a restaurant :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:47 pm 
born to perform.

lol thanks =D just trying help other people who are in need that needed to ask the questions I did =D

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:38 pm 
Penguin

vampirefreaks wrote:
Also don't do anything that would offend the guest. For example don't do geek magic.

What is 'geek-magic' ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:53 pm 
born to perform.

what he means is like if there was one guy with a shirt you didnt like dont make them feel back with a trick. your soppose to make them have a fun time.

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:33 pm 
Emperor Penguin

thegenius3232 wrote:
what he means is like if there was one guy with a shirt you didnt like dont make them feel back with a trick. your soppose to make them have a fun time.

-MagicTay

If your refering to hte 'geek magic' your wrong, thats not what he ment. :?
Geek magic is the lowest of side show- eating bugs, drinking spit/oil/tar, producing insects, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:59 pm 
born to perform.

Oh you where talking about the geek magic, I was talking about the following:
vampirefreaks wrote:
Also don't do anything that would offend the guest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:26 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Location Location... Always the most important thing
Also,

Before you start your job. I really reccomend getting to know the Staff Members of the restaurant. Especially the waiter/waitress(s). Get to know their shift, and become friends with them. That way you can not only work along with them during performances, but also understand their routes and what not...

Remember, you aren't trying to hog their Tip... Speaking of tips:
1. After you are done performing for a table, don't just stand their like a hawk and wait for a tip. After you are done, move on. If they wanted to tip you, they will. Continue on and perhaps they will see you as they are leaving and come over and hand you a tip.

2. Never DENY a tip. Honestly, declining a tip can be one of the rudest gestures you can make. They have tooken their money out and presented to you as a token of their appreciation for your work. Plus, it's a tip!

Also,

-Never approach a table when you see their check balance present. They are about to leave and you dont want to get in their way.

-Don't approach a table when you can see two couples that are obviously in the middle of something. Chances are that they really do NOT want to be interrupted at the time. Just leave them alone. Their are a lot of other fish in the sea...

-If you want to hand out your business cards (which your best bet is to do just that), do not just finish the table and throw your card down. You want to present yourself professionally. At the end, Perhaps a trick with a business card or even simply stating that if anyone would like a business card I will leave one on the table. Then you might gain more intrest by one person picking it up then the other guy wants one etc etc...

-Speaking of professional... Always look your best! You do not want to make an appearance with blue jeans and a t-shirt. Have a nice, clean, professional and elegant look. Not like a tuxedo, but a Suit is excellent.

-Make sure you talk to the manager before hand and understand what is OK and what is Not OK... You don't want to present a fire effect if the manager isn't ok with it. Chances are your in big trouble :wink: .

Well, for now those are some tips I can think of.

Hope it helps.
Cheers,
-magicman135

Post subject: thx im just beggining in magic and the tips realy helped
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:28 am 
Penguin

i have been doing card magic for about 2 months and when i get good at it ill think about working at a resteraunt...

Post subject: Re: thx im just beggining in magic and the tips realy helped
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:25 pm 

Jessejames447 wrote:
i have been doing card magic for about 2 months and when i get good at it ill think about working at a resteraunt...

Two MONTHS and you're thinking about going professional! I don't know what to say, except HAVE YOU LOST YOUR BLOODY MIND!!!!

A restaurant magician must be impeccable in his sleights. He must have several routines. He must always be learning new effects because regular customers need to see new things from you. If you keep doing the same old crap they will learn how to do it themselves just from seeing it so often.

This business is not for some kid to practice his tricks from the "Howdy Doody Magic Set." It is for professional entertainers that make people's day a little brighter by using magic.

Last edited by paddy on Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: thx im just beggining in magic and the tips realy helped
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:32 pm 

Jessejames447 wrote:

I really hope you mean that. Even if it's ten years from now.