View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Drawn Apart Complete Review
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:42 pm 
Penguin

Chase Hubler's Drawn Apart - Complete Review

Hey everyone, Shawn here and im gonna review my latest purchase which is one of my smartest purchases. I am going to be reviewing Chase Hubler's original creation drawn apart which can be purchased from here:

http://www.imperfectreality.com/

The Gimmick:There are many different variations to this effect. There are several different setups for each version but almost all of them use the one main gimmick. Almost everyone owns the supplies you need in order to create the drawn apart gimmick.The gimmick is very miniscule and once created can be used over and over again, very cool. The gimmick cannot be used forever but its very easy to make a new one. I can make a new one in a half a minute.
I give the drawn apart gimmick a 10/10 because its so easy to create and easy to manipulate.

Variations:
Alright here are my reviews on the variations.
The first variation of drawn apart is called drawn out, which is where you bring out a stack of business or cue cards (most paper will work)but preferably business or cue cards. And get the layperson to draw a stickman on it and sign it. You then take their single singed card and remove it from the stack.You show your hands empty then remove the head off of their drawing, you then proceed to move the head all the way across the paper. The head you removed is across the paper and printed in permanent ink. The spectator can keep their singed card if they want it.

My thoughts on this variation- This is my second favourite version of drawn apart on the instant download. This variation is taught by Jesse Stickley who does a very funny and excellent job of performing and teaching it. Jesse shows you how to construct the drawn apart gimmick and how to perform this first variation. He teaches you everything you need to know such as the principle that makes this variation so convincing,tips on making the effect more foolproof,& how to end up looking clean. There are literally hundreds of ways you can clean up so dont worry about that. This variation was created by Vlad S so good job on that buddy.
Overall I give this variation of drawn apart a 9/10 because its very clever and effective. Just be careful for the lay people that tend to grab whatever they want.

2nd Variation:
The second variation of drawn apart is called drawn in. This is very similar to the first version except instead of pulling out their signed card and then doing drawn apart you do drawn apart on the stack of cards then pull it out for them to keep.

My thoughts on this variation- This is also a great version of drawn apart.This version is taught in detail by Jacob Ensor while wearing a leather jacket (what a badass) hehehe anyways on with the review. Jacob teaches you the main offbeat move that makes this version work so well. The move is incredibly easy and takes less than a second.The setup for this variation is easier than the setup for the first variation so thats pretty cool. He teaches you what to conceal and how to conceal. Excellent teaching job. And yeah this version is my third favourite on the instant download.
Overall I give this version of drawn apart a 9/10 because its easy to get into however like I said above watch out for grabby spectators.

3rd Variation- The third variation of drawn apart is Chase's original handling of drawn apart & is taught by Jesse Stickley. In this variation you have the spectator draw a stickman on a piece of paper. You then move the stickmans head across the piece of paper. You decide to keep your work but then being the nice guy you are you give it to your spectator as a souvenir.

My thought on this variation- This is the original handling of drawn apart. I think this is a great variation of drawn apart. Jesse teaches how to make the special piece of paper used for this version in great detail. He also goes over the move that makes this version work.He once again teaches you extra convincers. Great job.
Overall I give this version a 8/10 because you have to create the paper and it cannot be signed.Other than that everything else about it is great.

4th Variation:This is the last variation on the drawn apart instant download. This variation is called the JJ variation, this is my favourite variation on the download. In this variation you BORROW the paper And you Borrow the writing utensil. Thats write (pun intended) this effect does not have to be done with a sharpie marker. It can also be done in pencil or pen.Anyways you borrow the paper and pen, you can have the spectator sign it if they wish (I would) you then draw a picture of the spectator even though its just a stickman. The spectator not being impressed begins to lose interest so to lighten up the mood you slowly pull off the stickmans head and tug it across the borrowed piece of paper.The head is once again permanently across the paper.And you can hand everything to the spectator to keep.

My thoughts on this variation- I like this version of drawn apart the most because everything is borrowed and the paper can even be signed.This version was created by Jake and taught by Vladimir.Vlad teaches very well and doesnt miss anything, he covers everything about this fantastic version of drawn apart.Vlad teaches the setup and get ready, patter, what to conceal, and of course how to perform this version of drawn apart.I really enjoyed this variation. Vlad is hilarious to watch and learn from too so that was a bonus.
Overall I give this version a 10/10 it is in my oppinion the best version out of all the others.Do magic with borrowed items and you can do magic with anything.

Effects with Drawn Apart:
The first effeect on the drawn apart instant download is called Arcane, which is an effect where you try to pickup a thought of a selected card from a spectator.All you can get is random symbols, you then mention these are ancient arcane symbols and that they can help you.You then move the ink from the symbols to form their selected card.The card & or paper can be signed can be signed.

My thoughts on this effect-Vlad & Jake teach you all the different effects on the instant download.Vlad teaches this great one in complete detail.He goes over how to force a card how to draw the arcane symbols and how to do the effect.Very good teaching.
Overall I give this effect a 9/10 because some spectators might notice a resemblence other than that its a great effect.

2nd Effect:
The second effect on the drawn apart instant download is an effect called spectators masterpiece in which you have the spectator think of a random number or letter. You try to read their mind but all you get is a bunch of lines giving up you ask the spectator to reveal what their thought was.Upon revealing their thought you then manipulate the lines into what they were thinking of.And if you want you can just have the spectator draw the lines and then you can manipulate them.Once again the card & or paper can be signed.Ths version is taught by Jacob.

My thoughts on this effect-This effect is alot like arcane in many ways.This is another good one.
Overall I give this effect a 9/10 because you can form their very thought.

3rd Effect:The third effect on the drawn apart instant download is called contorting caricature.In this effect you have the spectator draw a stickman on your card stack.You then mutate their drawing by stretching its neck,pulling its head off,giving it a third leg from nowhere and raising its arm.Very cool effect from drawn apart.This effect is taught by Jacob and the paper card you use can be signed.

My thoughts on this effect-Even though I cant see myself performing this effect I think its a great and very clever method to perform drawn apart.Its just not my style but im quite sure alot of you can use it.So have fun with that version.Few things about this one.Jacob teaches you how to setup and how to perform as well as patter.Great job Jacob.
Overall I give this version a 7/10 because the setup takes longer than usual but only by about a minute.And it just doesnt fit my style.However im pretty sure you all will enjoy this one.

4th Effect:The fourth effect on this instant download is called corny pickup.I like this effect alot.In this effect you ask a girl if shes ever heard the corny pickup line if I could re-arrange the alphabet i'd put u and i together.You then write out the alphabet on your paper, half on top half on the bottom.Using your empty hands you then grab u and i and move them into the middle beside each other.Some guys say you cant get girls with magic but this is a very subtle way to say you like someone.Or if you just wanna show them magic.Taught in detail by Jake.

My thoughts on this effect-I love this effect.Jacob teaches the setup, how to perform, patter, the whole nine yards. Jake will teach you everything yiou need to know about this effect.
Overall I give this effect a 9/10 because its a clever way to get a girl.Well if she likes it and Jake just does a fantastic job teaching.

5th effect:Even though on the product page it says the fifth effect is 2d multiplying rabbits, on the instant download the 4th and 5t effects are switched around.No big deal.So yeah the fifth effect is called 2D multiplying rabbits,in this effect you drawn a magician wearing a top hat.You then move the top hat off the magician to reveal a rabbit sitting on his head.You then seperate the piece of paper from the pad where upon removing it, a sponge bunny pops out.The bunny is no longer on the paper and the paper can be signed.Very cool.This version is taught by Vlad who does an excellent teaching job.

My thoughts on this effect-I LOVE THIS EFFECT! this is one of my favourite parts of the instant download.Its excellent for people of all ages and looks very cool.
Overall I give this effect a 10/10, its so great and really is a winner in my eyes.

Conclusion:I never heard of Chase Hubler until his death,I saw several threads about a magician that passed away.If I could of met Chase that would have been very cool.I can see from this effect that he had an excellent idea,he shared it with some friends he trusted.Together they took it to an all new level and together they achieved this.Chase Hubler Rest in piece.I wish the best of luck to Chases family and to the drawn apart staff team.If your looking for an impossible effect that is done with ordinary props buy drawn apart today and gain the ability to manipulate that which you draw.If you sat through this long review which took me 6 days to write.Get up and get a drink, you deserve it. Anyways thats my first review here and yeah look out for some video reviews in the future.

Thanks for reading! Shawn Walker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:43 pm 
born to perform.

amazing review!
Keep it up in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:53 pm 
born to perform.

Great detail, simply amazing, but can you make a video of yourself performing this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:07 pm 
Penguin

djsmith90125 wrote:
Great detail, simply amazing, but can you make a video of yourself performing this?
I dont have a video camera yet, sorry bud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:45 am 

also check out 'dont lose your head' by alan rorrison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:35 pm 
Penguin

I've been meaning to get this trick for a long time. Do you guys have any other thoughts on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:17 am 
Emperor Penguin

I recommend Don't lose your head by Alan Rorrison, it is much better in my opinion. Once you learn DLYH, you will know how to do Drawn Apart. Alan has come up with a new method for DLYH which is supposed to be much better, but I have yet to purchase it. I believe Alan is giving away the original DLYH due to disagreements with the sellers of Drawn Apart.

AlanRorrison.com has further details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:20 am 
Penguin

I have DLYH and it's terrible. The teaching is really bad, the trick is just on a card and you can't have the same side as the stick figure signed. Also, the gimmick glistens in any light conditions.

From what I can tell, drawn apart is none of that. Anyone have the product that isn't trying to deter me from buying Drawn Apart? In all honesty, this seems much better than DLYH...

Do you even have Drawn Apart magikrn? Can someone competent give me a better reply please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:36 am 
Penguin

Yep I got Drawn Apart and its great but one problem is ( I hope its not exposure) You cant hand out the notepad. Also I decided not to buy products like these.The method is like advanced version of DLYH. More practical but still you cant do it in a seconds notice.You just cant take youre notepad out of youre bag and perform it.Not for me but you might like it. I wish I could sell this one. :cry: darn instant downloads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:44 pm 

rogue_warlord wrote:
I have DLYH and it's terrible. The teaching is really bad, the trick is just on a card and you can't have the same side as the stick figure signed. Also, the gimmick glistens in any light conditions.

From what I can tell, drawn apart is none of that. Anyone have the product that isn't trying to deter me from buying Drawn Apart? In all honesty, this seems much better than DLYH...

Do you even have Drawn Apart magikrn? Can someone competent give me a better reply please?

I have both, I do not use drawn apart at all, simply because as said before nothing is examinable and it's fishy.

DLYH I feel gives you a little more freedom and has less fishy moves

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:17 pm 
Penguin

I got drawn apart a couple of months ago and its an awesome DVD. it teaches you a bunch of different tricks and it isnt just a card trick like dont lose your head.

I could hardly understand Rorrison's heavy accent. his teaching was very poor, and the gimmick is very shiny. He does mention the shiny gimmick but only offers one "fix" to the problem which is messy and doesn't work well. in order to perform dont lose your head it requires a lot of Rorrison's showmanship, and that's a problem, because he doesn't have much. it's very hard to adapt the effect to your own style. drawn apart is very adaptable, not just in performance style, but in effect.

The JJ variation is one of my favorites and you can do that at a seconds notice. I've gotten great reactions from it, just doing it on a piece of scrap paper.

What do you mean nothing is examinable? They get to keep the paper they signed! I don't see what you mean by fishy. every move is justified, there are no fishy moves. There's really only one "move" which is something you do every day. It takes half of a second and is done during an off beat.

I've come to the conclusion that DLYH is better... for amateurs. The kinds of people that dont' have any audience management skills at all. Drawn Apart isn't hard to perform at all, it just takes a slight amount of misdirection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:18 pm 
Penguin

bravesaint wrote:
I have both, I do not use drawn apart at all, simply because as said before nothing is examinable and it's fishy.

DLYH I feel gives you a little more freedom and has less fishy moves

Can you explain to me how a trick limited to a single card is less fishy? I'm really trying to decide if I want this or not, and I'm not getting too much legitimate information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:25 pm 
born to perform.

I've tried DLYH a few times now, and other than a couple of people noticing that "Bob's" head seems a little shiny, it's played out quite well.

Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:13 pm 
Emperor Penguin

alikarahan wrote:
Yep I got Drawn Apart and its great but one problem is ( I hope its not exposure) You cant hand out the notepad. Also I decided not to buy products like these.The method is like advanced version of DLYH. More practical but still you cant do it in a seconds notice.You just cant take youre notepad out of youre bag and perform it.Not for me but you might like it. I wish I could sell this one. :cry: [Edited] instant downloads.

Yes I have both. I know the creator of DLYH and I know the person in charge of selling Drawn Apart. I have given reviews on both of them, so do a search and you will find those.

DLYH is much easier to do and is more practical.

Drawn Apart uses a similar gimmick but is more prone to being messy, therfore getting caught easier. There is one version of Drawn Apart that can seem very impromptu to the spectators, as it looks like no apparent setup has been made. I feel this is the strongest version and the only one I would ever use, but it still doesnt hit as hard as DLYH.

I have tried both out on spectators and DLYH gets the reactions I like, plus it is immediately reset and ready to go for the next table if you are table hopping or if you are strolling.

Please don't call me incompetent unless you know what you are talking about. Buy both and see which you like better. Oh and I have never been called out on "Bob's" shiny head, you just need to know how to manipulate light and angles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:27 pm 
Penguin

I've gotten much better reactions from Drawn Apart than DLYH.

How do you manipulate lighting? Try to stand in a shadow? I can see how this could pose a problem for real working performers.

i'm very curious as to what you are referring to with the word "messy". also, I haven't gotten caught once during drawn apart. How many times have you actually performed each of these?

I believe Alan is still giving away DLYH for free now, and I strongly encourage you all to check it out, but believe me when I say that it's no replacement for drawn apart. you also must remember that DLYH is one card trick, the drawn apart DVD teaches you five tricks (I love the 2D multiplying rabbits), and drawn apart is easily adapted to your own effects. a friend of mine also got the DVD and he's routining drawn apart to produce a live toad at the end of a frog/prince type of effect. Very adaptable. Drawn Apart is defenately for a magician that likes to create their own magic.

as you can tell, I love Drawn Apart. I use it all the time at my restaurant gig with numerous different effects. Kids especially love it when i make a butterfly flap it's wings. I then take the card and perform the hummer card with it. It also leaves them with an awesome souvenir on the back of my business card. Love it love it love it. I can't wait to see what Imperfect Reality comes out with next.