View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Another Talent Show Thread...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:02 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Yes, I know I'll probably get bashed for this, but I am doing a performance with my friend next Tuesday (May 8th) for the school Talent Show. But, on the other hand, I did not do this just on impulse... I have been planning this out since last May. Well, here's how it's going to go down. My friend and I are going to walk out to Forgotten by Linkin Park, and hopefully to some applause. I'm going to tell the audience (yes, it's a lie, but it's part of the performance) that I had a different routine all planned out with big fancy props, but... Matthew (my friend) called me up the night before and asked if he could do a magic trick with me for the Talent Show. Of course, him being my best friend and all, I said yes. So therefore, I ditched all the fancy props and, instead, brought my single most valuable prop... my invisible deck. I will then take my "invisible deck" and have Matthew shuffle it (I will use the "you gotta take it out of the box first gag), walk out into the audience, and have a spectator select a card from the Invisible Deck. They will then continue by showing the card to the rest of the audience, and putting it back inside the deck upside down. They will then walk back down (with Matthew) to where I am at. I will take the "invisible deck", and hit it against my jacket pocket. Amazingly, there is now a real deck inside! I politely ask the spectator what their card is, and reveal it to be the only face down card in the deck. Finally, Matthew and I will bow, and walk off stage to thunderous roars of applause. There are a couple other aspects I would like to discuss. First off, our wardrobe. I will be wearing black dress slacks or jeans (can't really decide), nice black shoes, my Born to Perform T-Shirt, and a black suit jacket. Matthew will be wearing the same, except with a different shirt, because he doesn't have a Born to Perform T-Shirt. Secondly, our "characters". I am planning on having me do all the talking, and Matthew be absolutely silent during the routine, but if you guys feel he should talk, I am open to suggestions. Once again, this is not a thread asking what to do for a Talent Show that I haven't thought/planned for. I am simply asking how you guys think it will go, and if there is anything that you feel I should absolutely change before we perform. I am planning on having a video of it, but I'm not so sure that that will happen. Thanks for reading, and please don't bash me. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:08 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I feel that if he doesn't already have a scripted patter for the routine, he should remain silent. If he does have a scripted patter, then it will add to it if has some witty comebacks to your gag jokes.

Now, are you using jumbo cards so the people in the back can see, or normal size cards?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:09 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Posts:5479 President and head leader of the cannot join unless you are Serbian club!And also Canada
You won't get bashed,although it is my time of the month(RSD).

I like the way you have planned it out so far.You WILL get an applause once you enter the stage.Go for the jeans since you are in school and you will want it to seem casual like you are unprepared,just like your patter will make it seem :wink: .

So far though,I see nothing wrong as long as you strectch the routine long enough.You don't want to rush it,make sure to practise this with your friend alot and that you time it out so that every performance is about the same length.

One more thing,practise your Invisible deck revelation!You don't want to be high on adrenaline and all of a sudden forget the memorisation involved in the effect.

Anyways,good luck and i'm sure it will go well as long as you practise.

-YNWA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:15 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely be practicing this everyday with my friend. I am going to be using normal sized cards, but the way our gym is set up, there are only about 8 rows of bleachers, so there shouldn't be a problem with anybody not being able to see very well. I was kind of going for a Penn and Teller theme, where one talks, and the other doesn't... him obviously being the silent one. Any more advice that you guys think needs to be said is appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:19 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
I'd still rethink the small invisible deck, unless you have a video camera and projector, unless you have a very small gym.

Go with something larger scale, designed for stage, production box, tip over trunk, or squared circle. I did all of these on stage, to very good responses.

Or you could do a comedy straitjacket escape. Two of my students did this one year and got HUGE laughs......

PM me and I'll give you details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:43 pm 
born to perform.

It pretty hard for him to change his whole act now, jamesjay.

One thing you should really focus on is your friends pantomime skills. That will be essential to make this a good duo performance. Make sure he has very colorful facial expressions and body language, and not just standing off to the side as you talk.

It might be funny for him to be doing something weird (but magic-related) as you talk, which will make the audience laugh. Then you can turn around and see him, and look comedically frustrated and go hit him or something and resume.

Final note, you don't want to have unequal performances, and each of you should bring their performance level to it's highest with their part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:18 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Thanks for all the advice. I would love to take your advice Jamesjay, but in all honesty I have neither the time nor the money to change my routine that drastically. Kraynik, thanks for the advice. I love your idea of Matthew doing something over to the side while I'm talking, but I'm not sure what he should do. It would be funny to have him reach into his jacket pocket, and do a appearing cane "revelation" when his hand came out, but, unfortunately, I don't have the time to order an appearing cane. Do you think the Hummingbird card would work? He's not very good at it, but we have about 8 or 9 days to practice. Thanks again for all the advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:55 pm 
born to perform.

Hey, man. I don't want to sound rude, but did it actually take you from last May until now to think up an Invisible Deck routine? Or were you debating what exactly to do, or how to do it?

Anyway, I think the Invisible Deck is an awesome choice as long as EVERYONE can see what is happening. I know your school only has...was it 75 students? But it would still be a little tough to have everybody see the trick, because some would accuse you of flipping the card because you were far enough away that they couldn't see what was happening with the deck.

I would DEFINITELY go with the projector if possible. If not, at least have somebody to varify the fact that there is no "trickery".

Now fly, bird! Go be amazing! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:03 pm 
born to perform.

adjones wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. I would love to take your advice Jamesjay, but in all honesty I have neither the time nor the money to change my routine that drastically. Kraynik, thanks for the advice. I love your idea of Matthew doing something over to the side while I'm talking, but I'm not sure what he should do. It would be funny to have him reach into his jacket pocket, and do a appearing cane "revelation" when his hand came out, but, unfortunately, I don't have the time to order an appearing cane. Do you think the Hummingbird card would work? He's not very good at it, but we have about 8 or 9 days to practice. Thanks again for all the advice.

The rope through neck trick seems like it would work. He could pretend to strangle himself (comedically of course, if it were serious acting you could gte in trouble) but then pull the rope right through his neck.

Mouth coils? Producing salt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:05 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Yes, it is, IMO, a very small gym. And no, it didn't take me until last May to come up with a Invisible Deck routine, but it did take me that long to decide what I was going to do, have a good routine planned out, and practice the routine until my fingers bled.. and then practice some more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:44 pm 
born to perform.

Alright. Just checking.

Well, as long as the gym is small enough, it should work well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:57 pm 
Emperor Penguin

cameronb wrote:
Alright. Just checking.

Well, as long as the gym is small enough, it should work well.

I'm certainly hoping so. Hopefully I'll be able to get a video and share it with you guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:26 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Well, the performance is tonight! My Mom is recording it, but the camera is a couple years old, so I don't know if I can get it onto the internet or not to show you guys. Wish me luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:47 pm 
born to perform.

Sweet! Make sure to post the video. I am looking forward to it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:20 pm 
Penguin

It's probably too late for suggestions now. But if not...

I've read you talking a lot about the STS. It would be cool after the effect is over, while you're walking off stage for your partner to silently point out that your shoe is untied. Then you pause and do your thing. Make no big deal out of it, and continue walking away.