View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: what are the odds? *revised
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:51 pm 
Penguin

What are the odds of making a coin dissapear and reapear in an instant?What are the odds of shuffling a card into the deck and finding it? I think that I prefer the ladder. I mean, there are only 52 cards in a deck, all different. With cards you can lay the odds out in front of the spectator, 52 to 1, every time. I never get tired of the reactions I get from people with cards, beter than just about anything else.

I often show tricks at the local convenience store (they still call me mr. shoelace after i showed them the STS), but when I buy a fresh deck of cards, open them and do something like Triumph, or a 3 card prediction, or an ACR, everyone just loves it. I'll get stuck for 20 minutes at a time showing card tricks with the deck I just opened.

To some, that is a close to real magic as it can get. No gimmicks, no preparation, all magic. Although I never say that I use magic or slight of hand. I try to stay 'on the offbeat' (to quote oz). I prefer an aproach like saying, 'hey do you want to try something with me?' or 'tell me if this seems odd to you?' This seems to not only get people to intrigued, but also keeps them off their toes on what they're about to witness. I give no hints to what is about to happen, I'm just trying something interesting. But most of all, this nonchalant approach keeps the attention off of my hands.

Just walking up to someone and asking if they want to see some magic usualy doesn't work for me as well, unless the person was walking around looking to see some magic. I feel that this makes spectators more intent to see the magic happen. That means watching your hands, alot. I find myself trying, blatently, to make eye contact, big gestures, and alot of misdirection. It always feels like I'm being watched harder if I ask if someone wants to see some magic. They may not know what is about to happen, but they know that something is.

I'm geting sidetracked though., and I dont want anyone to think I'm saying coins and gafts aren't magical. I love coins, and I do at least 5 card tricks a day using gafts. But I just love spreading out the deck on the counter, table, cardboard box after I've finished a successful routine and announcing, 'there are 52 choices in the deck. and you picked one. what are the odds?'

Last edited by dennskymcfish on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:40 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I would read it, if it was typed much better. Right now its a mess and a pain to read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:58 am 
Penguin

I read through it. I found it pretty intriguing. You touch base on a very debatable subject and I would definitely have to take your side with this argument. I've always found it better to have a person truly attentive for the entire duration of the trick, as opposed to: "Great, here's someone who's going to be showing me some magic, I wonder if they'll be any good. . ."

Keep up the good work and shoot me a PM with some of your contact information. I'm from Philadelphia as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:51 am 
Penguin

Location: In some sweet limo, with a hot girl *wakes up and cries*
Hehe, they call you Mr. Shoelace!? That's sweet! I broke a match in half and "restored" it using the Black Widow (great device). Now everyone that works at that store calls me Mr. Match-ic...

Not bad for your first essay, keep it up!

Best wishes,

-Trix

Post subject: lol
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:27 pm 
Penguin

cool man, dont worry about cryptic he never has anything to say about ANYTHING.

Post subject: Re: lol
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:11 am 
Emperor Penguin

MasterXAllan wrote:

Actually, David was one of the most helpful members here. And, like I've already told you, he definitely doesn't sugar coat his posts.

Post subject: Re: lol
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:00 am 
born to perform.

MasterXAllan wrote:

:roll:
*side splitingly ironic tone* AH!

~blizt

Post subject: Re: what are the odds? *revised
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:39 am 
Penguin

dennskymcfish wrote:
What are the odds of making a coin dissapear and reapear in an instant?What are the odds of shuffling a card into the deck and finding it?

Picking a card: 52 to 1

Making a coin disappear and reappear: impossible

I prefer the laTTer. Though if I'm going to be working on my roof I prefer the laDDer.

Post subject: Re: what are the odds? *revised
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:00 am 
born to perform.

I have a few things to say:
dennskymcfish wrote:
I prefer an aproach like saying, 'hey do you want to try something with me?'

:shock: ...nuff said.

Quote:
Keep up the good work and shoot me a PM with some of your contact information. I'm from Philadelphia as well.

Isn't that against the rules?

Quote:
I prefer the laTTer. Though if I'm going to be working on my roof I prefer the laDDer.

...<slow clap>

Revelation77