View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: my first gig!!!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:06 pm 
Penguin

I just got a gig to do a kids party on the 18th for a bunch of 5 year olds.The theme is pirates.Anyone know of any good inexpensive kid tricks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:23 pm 

Yes

But there is no way I'll tell you any of them. You booked a party in TWO WEEKS and you don't have a show written yet? Let alone practiced and rehearsed! People like you give magicians a bad name.

Law of the theater (and that's what we are is actors playing the part of a magician) is one HOUR of rehearsal for every MINUTE on of the performace. there is no way you can buy, receive, learn, practice, and rehearse a 30 minute show in 2 weeks. Unless, of course, you give up such luxuries as eating, sleeping, going to the bathroom, things like that.

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:56 pm 
Penguin

i'm just a beginner,at least i got booked in the first place...

Post subject: Re: ?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:37 pm 
Emperor Penguin

101trader wrote:
i'm just a beginner,at least i got booked in the first place...

No no no no. Thats not the way to think.
You even admitt your a beginner. MEaning you dont have the knowlegde or experience.

You should only get booked when you have a solid routine down and plenty of experience in the world.

Working at librarys, hosiptals, etc.

You arent near prepared for this.

You really should read more posts/topics on this and look through the essays.
Pick up some books.. and some effects suited for kids.
Not ask at the last moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:41 am 
Emperor Penguin

This is the exact reason I get sick of younger magicians. They think just because they do some magic effects, they deserve to be paid. They don't think this stuff through though.

Think about this. You don't know what you're doing. But you decide you're going to do show anyway. Now let's say you were a mechanic. You had to change the breaks in a car, but had no idea what you were doing. You possibly just killed a person there. Now, you may not kill someone by doing this show, but you have a strong possibility of screwing up the whole show for the kids. And that's irresponsible, and selfish. Plus, you're going to ruin magic for that family. And you are taking business away from people who have worked, and deserve these types of shows.

Just because you can do some magic, does not give you the right to do paying shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:59 am 
born to perform.

BY THE WAY

my first gig is on the 18th as well.....65 bucks for 4 hours of walkaround.....it seems its a little cheap
BUT, i dont have my buisenes cards yet, will be getting them soon
they set the price, HE gave ME his card so I could email him to see if they would be interested in hiring me

im stoked (sp?) about it!!! BUT WITH THAT SAID

ive had my routine down for about a month (scheduled it about in mid July)
im doing Nailed, Magicians Insurance Policy, Spongeballs, CCK, a rope escape, tossed out deck, and a deck of cards

I also will have a table to perform with, so ill be set for a rope escape, some card stuff better suited for table work, and tossed out deck.

BUT DUDE!!!!

you CANNOT go asking for tricks 2 WEEKS in advance

try like, AT LEAST one month in advance

BUT

here are some "tricks"......you have to make them pirate themed though

TT stuff
Mouth Coil
Rope tricks
linking rings
some IT stuff

Post subject: ....
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:22 am 
Penguin

thnx for your help guardian.but you know what,fallingblood?maybe i'm sick and tired of all this negative criticism about,"i hate younger magicians" or " they're going to ruin it for us all".I have loved magic for a while and i am a beginner into birthday parties.I wrote this topic to get help from fellow magicians,not to be spat in the face by a "know it all".I know if I work hard,i can get it down before the deadline.the birthday is only 30 mins.gosh

Post subject: Re: ....
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:32 am 
Emperor Penguin

101trader wrote:
thnx for your help guardian.but you know what,fallingblood?maybe i'm sick and tired of all this negative criticism about,"i hate younger magicians" or " they're going to ruin it for us all".I have loved magic for a while and i am a beginner into birthday parties.I wrote this topic to get help from fellow magicians,not to be spat in the face by a "know it all".I know if I work hard,i can get it down before the deadline.the birthday is only 30 mins.gosh

You should have much more respect for the magic and for the people. Because of you mentality you will not get very far.

Post subject: ....
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:34 am 
Penguin

i do.i'm just tired of all the negative comments!I mean,why not just say,good luck!or actually answer the question i wrote.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:36 am 
Emperor Penguin

101trader wrote:
i do.i'm just tired of all the negative comments!I mean,why not just say,good luck!or actually answer the question i wrote.

No you dont have respect or you wouldnt have waited this long, and wouldnt have made your comments.
Your just in magic for the money, which is wrong and low.
You dont want to put the time or effort into it that it deserves.
Your one of the worst kinds of magicians.

No one should answer your question, you dont deserve it. If you wanted help, you should have taken it on your self to prepare earleir, not two weeks.
Good Luck? Why should I wish a person that doesnt respect magic or the customers good luck.

Plain ignorance.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:36 am 
born to perform.

101trader wrote:

Hang on.

If you were going in for surgery in 2 weeks, and the doctor assigned to your case never did that surgery before and is JUST NOW reading up on how to do it... In fact he just became a doctor last month... would you like that?

No.

They're just frustrated because two weeks is really not enough time to get good at an effect. You'll be "kinda ok" at it, thus reflecting poorly on magicians in general.

And five year olds are hard to handle.

So the family that hired you will probably not hire another magician if you do poorly, and in fact will tell their friends that you DID poorly. Thus affecting the overall business for us, magicians.

Does that give you a better understanding of why you're receiving negative comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:39 am 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
Good luck..............with your no show, two weeks practice.

Young man, this forum is filled with pros who have been practicing this art long before you were a glimmer in your father's eye. Myself included.

This is the best advice you will recieve, but, because of your age and ability, you will throw it out the window, essentially spitting in my face an my experiences:

Cancel the show.

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:40 am 
born to perform.

101trader wrote:
its only 30 mins!i already have most the stuff i'll do.

Please film it, and post in the theater section for our entertainment.

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:40 am 
Emperor Penguin

101trader wrote:

Ya, sure you keep saying that to your self. :roll:

No one in their right mind, with real experience, will help you.

Once again I say it: Plain Ignorance and disrespect.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:41 am 
Penguin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next