View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trick for a School talent show final.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:19 am 
Penguin

I have made the final of this year's School Talent Show.. And i was wondering which trick i should perform for the final.

I am puzzling between 2 tricks..

1) Multiplying bottles (Just like Tommy Cooper with Fez and cloak)
2) Harlan's No Tape, No Glue, No Scissors, 20-second Setup Torn & Restored Newspaper

They're both great tricks, and both receive great reactions.

Which do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:13 am 
Penguin

OK, number one is out, you will never in a million years be even half as good at what Tommy Cooper did as Tommy Cooper was, and you'll just look like you're trying to rip him off and failing miserably

I'm not familiar with the second routine, but I had a school talent show once and did sort of like a prediction effect. I find it's helpful to look back through all that you have and look for things that maybe you've done in the past, and so feel comfortable performing, that you've maybe forgotten about. I won the talent show that year with a trick from the first magic book I ever owned (picked up in a book shop a good 10 years ago for like £5). These kind of shows are about how much variety of entertainment you can pack into one routine, it's not about how good or bad the trick is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:29 pm 
born to perform.

Don't steal another magician's style, man. If you do that, then you don't deserve to win a talent show.

But my vote goes for multiplying bottles. It's a more entertaining routine. I can't stand the demo for the Torn and Restored Newspaper. See Harlan walk out, fumble with a newspaper, make a tear, fumble some more, crumple it slightly, fumble some more, make a tear, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:51 am 
born to perform.

Look in mark wilson book for mentalism, there are very good tricks out there that will hit much more then a torn and restored newspaper. I also reccomend The sherlock holmes inductive book test. Its very easy, and it hits HARD. are you going to do anly one trick?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:26 pm 
born to perform.

A frickin' good D'lite routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:32 pm 

If you're going to do the newspaper tear, I suggest you watch Whit Haydn's presentation of Gene Anderson's original effect.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8931&hl=en

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:03 pm 
born to perform.

I think the multiplying bottles trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:26 pm 
born to perform.

kraynik wrote:
Don't steal another magician's style, man. If you do that, then you don't deserve to win a talent show.

But my vote goes for multiplying bottles. It's a more entertaining routine. I can't stand the demo for the Torn and Restored Newspaper. See Harlan walk out, fumble with a newspaper, make a tear, fumble some more, crumple it slightly, fumble some more, make a tear, etc.

I completely agree I didn't like that demo at all. One question, are you just perfroming one trick for your talent show or a routine ? If you are performing a routine and just asking what your final trick should be you should tell us the rest of your routine so we can give you the best possible answer. Because your routine should flow. That is if you are performing a routine.

Sean McQuiad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:13 pm 
born to perform.

[quote="DaveV"]If you're going to do the newspaper tear, I suggest you watch Whit Haydn's presentation of Gene Anderson's original effect.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8931&hl=en[/qu
ote]

In Mr. Haydn's hands this is an absolute masterpiece !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:16 am 
Penguin

hmm, unless you can mimic Tommy Coopers excellent presentation and comedy, i would suggest on doing the original newspaper tear and restore, or how about a sub-trunk, it does leave people astounded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:34 am 
born to perform.

First, when is this talent show? Second, I'm pretty sure, along with some other people you cannot perform masterpiece tricks, performed by great professionals. If you can great, but if you can't don't.

What you need is nothing expensive.....but not too cheap. A finale is like something that is like a show-stopper that ends with a big boom! Multiplying bottles would be great. Maybe a realy tremendous great mouth coil routine. Cardiographic would also be nice. And the list goes on and on.

Is this the finale for the talent show, or the finale for your show?

Hope this helped.
-JonJon :wink: