View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Magician in School
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:00 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Posts: 2339
Location: California
I went to school today and found out there was a magi!

He was doin a trick to like the whole class. I couldn't watch because I was in the next P.E class.

Should I introduce myself because not many people at school know I like magic because I barely perform and if I do it's only to about 3-4 people at most.

I hate telling random people I'm a magician because they say"show us something" :? Yeah right.

Atleast I'm not like the only kid magician in my city.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:03 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 12 May 2007
Posts: 98
I say just start showing your tricks a little more and gather a crowd. Just don't tell people you do magic, RIGHT AFTER a magician came to your school. I’d let that die down a little, then just do stuff for more people than you do normally. But before you start performing more, make sure you're flawless in your routines; one mess up and a bad heckler will never let you live it down. Let your reputation build and play off that. That’s basically how I’ve been getting noticed around my school.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Magician in School
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:43 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 15 Dec 2006
Posts: 2000
nikiel wrote:
I went to school today and found out there was a magi!

He was doin a trick to like the whole class. I couldn't watch because I was in the next P.E class.

Should I introduce myself because not many people at school know I like magic because I barely perform and if I do it's only to about 3-4 people at most.

I hate telling random people I'm a magician because they say"show us something" :? Yeah right.

Atleast I'm not like the only kid magician in my city.

I don't understand...what you mean by "yeah right" you're amagician right? so you should be able to do some tricks right? so don't tell someone unless you have something on you...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:17 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 18 May 2006
Posts: 1784
If all you know is gimmicked tricks then keep those gimmicks with you at all times. When I was in highschool there were some effects that people talked about that people wanted to see me perform on almost a daily basis, and they were gimmicked, so I kept those gimmicks with me at all times ready to perform.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:39 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Posts: 7922
Location: Parkville, MO
thecooltonto wrote:
If all you know is gimmicked tricks then keep those gimmicks with you at all times. When I was in highschool there were some effects that people talked about that people wanted to see me perform on almost a daily basis, and they were gimmicked, so I kept those gimmicks with me at all times ready to perform.


No offense, but I think that's really stupid. I carry cards, a TT, occasionally a quarter or half dollar, and I just keep an Invisible Deck in my backpack if I'm in the mood for showing that to someone. Notice there's only one gimmicked trick? And I don't carry it because people ask me to show it to them, I carry it because it's one I want to see. I choose what I perform... my performances are not "democracies"... the spectator does not get to pick and choose what they do and don't want to see. Hey, maybe this is the wrong thing to do, but I'm the magician, I'm not going to be bossed around while performing my art.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:45 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 24 Jun 2007
Posts: 1153
Location: what do you care?
My views on school magic have changed. You should of seen the reactions I got from a modified pen vanish that I learned from ITBTWC.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:53 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 18 May 2006
Posts: 1784
adjones wrote:
thecooltonto wrote:
If all you know is gimmicked tricks then keep those gimmicks with you at all times. When I was in highschool there were some effects that people talked about that people wanted to see me perform on almost a daily basis, and they were gimmicked, so I kept those gimmicks with me at all times ready to perform.


No offense, but I think that's really stupid. I carry cards, a TT, occasionally a quarter or half dollar, and I just keep an Invisible Deck in my backpack if I'm in the mood for showing that to someone. Notice there's only one gimmicked trick? And I don't carry it because people ask me to show it to them, I carry it because it's one I want to see. I choose what I perform... my performances are not "democracies"... the spectator does not get to pick and choose what they do and don't want to see. Hey, maybe this is the wrong thing to do, but I'm the magician, I'm not going to be bossed around while performing my art.


I didn't say do gimmicked tricks now did I....
And if people are talking about certain effects and are not about others then performing the popular ones for people that have not seen them is only going to increase your reputation because it will get them talking about it too. If they see something no one else is talking about then chances are they won't talk about it either. So I think its best to perform what people want to see like half of the time unless its something they have already seen, and what you think is best the other half of the time.

If I had only done what people asked me to do through school, the only things I would know how to do would be predict sports events, make fireballs, and levitate lol.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:55 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Posts: 250
Location: San Antonio, Texas
adjones wrote:
I choose what I perform... my performances are not "democracies"... the spectator does not get to pick and choose what they do and don't want to see. Hey, maybe this is the wrong thing to do, but I'm the magician, I'm not going to be bossed around while performing my art.


I agree with this absolutely. A long time ago I read an interview with Stephen King, and the interviewer asked him one of those asinine questions about where he gets his ideas or how he writes such good stories. His answer was that he writes the stories he enjoys for himself, and if others enjoy them too, then so much the better. Looks like it worked out for him, so why not other artists?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:07 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Posts: 7922
Location: Parkville, MO
thecooltonto wrote:
I didn't say do gimmicked tricks now did I....
And if people are talking about certain effects and are not about others then performing the popular ones for people that have not seen them is only going to increase your reputation because it will get them talking about it too. If they see something no one else is talking about then chances are they won't talk about it either. So I think its best to perform what people want to see like half of the time unless its something they have already seen, and what you think is best the other half of the time.

If I had only done what people asked me to do through school, the only things I would know how to do would be predict sports events, make fireballs, and levitate lol.


If you do the tricks that people want you to do, you will lose audience control. The spectators will get the false impression that they control you and your performances... which is not a good thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:08 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 18 May 2006
Posts: 1784
Yeah but if he had to tell his stories to people in person, and they told some other people about the story, and then they wanted to hear it should he tell them the story that caused those people to learn about him or should he tell a new story and risk not spreading his reputation?

Thats the situation with performing magic. I think we should perform things that audiences enjoy, but also perform what we like to remain unique and artistic.

Back when I was in school I performed something different about every week, and performed it for as many people during the week as I could. But, during that week I would also be prepared for my most popular tricks in case someone came up to me and asked to see me perform that particular trick. After they asked I may or may not have done that trick, that would depend on if I wanted to or not, or if I thought I should or not. If I didn't want to then I would just show them whatever I was doing mainly that week.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:17 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Posts: 7922
Location: Parkville, MO
I see your point, but I have another point I would like to add:

If the spectators personally request an effect, and you consent to showing it to them, they are going to know what's going to happen. This will weaken the reactions. Why? Because they know what's going to happen, and therefore will not be surprised when it does. Granted, 90% of the effect, IMO, is the presentation, but no matter how great your presentation is, because they know what's going to happen, it will take away that little bit of reaction.

All IMHO, of course.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Magician in School
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:50 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Posts: 2339
Location: California
panicatnabisco wrote:
nikiel wrote:
I went to school today and found out there was a magi!

He was doin a trick to like the whole class. I couldn't watch because I was in the next P.E class.

Should I introduce myself because not many people at school know I like magic because I barely perform and if I do it's only to about 3-4 people at most.

I hate telling random people I'm a magician because they say"show us something" :? Yeah right.

Atleast I'm not like the only kid magician in my city.

I don't understand...what you mean by "yeah right" you're amagician right? so you should be able to do some tricks right? so don't tell someone unless you have something on you...


I said yeah right because I don't want to show them a trick. I don't just go up to people saying I'm a magician, but like when were doing a class presentation about ourselves I said I'm a magician. I couple obnoxious kids said "show me something" not in a polite way like they wanted to see some magic, but in a way like I was lying and just wanted to tell me I suck.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:48 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 26 Sep 2006
Posts: 3289
Location: The Shire
I say, let that kid do his magic and have his credit. It will give you a chance to see what a magician in school looks like from the other end.

I'm with you on not wanting to perform during school. I just don't like how people can see me doing a trick, and not know me personally, and then all they know about me is that I do magic. I'm don't want to be known as a magician, I want to be known as a person. Which has suceeded since I don't do magic at school anymore.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:39 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 18 May 2006
Posts: 1784
adjones wrote:
I see your point, but I have another point I would like to add:

If the spectators personally request an effect, and you consent to showing it to them, they are going to know what's going to happen. This will weaken the reactions. Why? Because they know what's going to happen, and therefore will not be surprised when it does. Granted, 90% of the effect, IMO, is the presentation, but no matter how great your presentation is, because they know what's going to happen, it will take away that little bit of reaction.

All IMHO, of course.


Yeah I agree, and I thought about that as well. Some effects I wouldn't do, or I should say most, if they were affected by that. There are a few tricks out there that it really doesn't matter too much if they know whats going to happen, like making a fireball. I mean thats over in like a second anyway. And then they may not know what you did specifically, or you could just do something kind of like it. For example, some people knew I had predicted some sports games, but they didn't know exactly what happened except that I wrote down the scores ahead of time and was right. So if they asked about that, I could do any kind of prediction or mindreading effect, and in their minds they would have seen me do something like they had heard about.

Its not like people dictate what you perform if you go with what I'm saying, its just that you alter your choice of material slightly to hopefully appeal to people a little more. Even Angel and Houdini have done that regarding the public. The public loved Houdini's escapes and transpos, so he performed those a lot in public to try to appeal more to the public, but he still did other things he liked like tying needles in his mouth. Now people want to see levitation, so if you notice Angel does this more and more on mindfreak. But Angel seems to like escapes because he does them pretty often, so he still does that too even though its probably not as popular as some things with audiences now. I just think there needs to be a balance between performing what you want and performing for your spectators to ensure that they enjoy watching what you do.

I would say it needs to lean 85% towards your preferences, and maybe 15% towards what the spectators want to see, give or take some.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.